Stiff gear change

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

k14orr
80-90 Mem No: 1870

Stiff gear change

Post by k14orr »

Hello,
The gear change on my 1981 camper is stiff and can be difficult to select second and reverse at times. There is a lot of wear in the guide pin and socket at the rear plus the rubber boot is missing, does anyone know if this wear is a significant factor in the stiffness and does anyone know where I can purchase new pin and sockets parts.

wasserleaker
80-90 Mem No: 3058

Post by wasserleaker »

Howdoo,
Just Kampers, [www.justkampers.com] sell the plastic 'ball and socket' selector parts and the rubber gaiter plus a few other gearshift parts, send for their T25 catalogue if you havnt got one, loads of good stuff in there. the link rod from front to back might need adjusting, good explanation of how to do it in haynes manual, but mark anything you adjust with a dab of paint or line scratched on before you adjust it, so you can put it back how it was if you dont manage to improve matters! there are two alloy shift guides in the box under the floor below the gearstick too, in a 5speed anyway, these were worn badly on mine, causing a sloppy shift, i replaced them and greased all sliding bushes, adjusted it all and it shifts loads better now, lots less vague and stiff.
cheers . . wasserleaker.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

If it's stiff but changes gear accurately, and basically OK, then old grease is often the cause, as a recent thread on this has also proved.

If there's wear at the sliding bush at the back, change it, only a few quid.

There's a complete description in the WIKI of the whole selector. From the gear-lever's ball joint to the rear... best read it first! i.e. don't adjust anything until you know the critical things to mark up, far too easy to lose the datum settings and then experience is needed to set it back up- can be quite critical!

Sloppy gearchange - improving (Wiki)

Gearchange - Reluctance to select
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1