Perished & split rubber gaiters/boots

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Perished & split rubber gaiters/boots

Post by 1664 »

went under the camper last weekend. The rubber 'boot' on the gear selector lever is split (fine, I can phone VW) but next to that is a split rubber gaiter(?) that covers the gearshift shaft. Anyone know what it's called else I won't know what to ask for...frankly if it wasn't for tha Haynes Manual I wouldn't have known they were gear selector lever and gearshift shaft either :oops: :oops: :oops:
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

fairwynds
80-90 Mem No: 3288

Post by fairwynds »

You are, from your description, referring to the right hand side of the gearbox, looking forwards?

The gear selector control rod runs under the bus to a fitting which is hosed under a 'boot' with a concertina rubber top. The fitting is effectively a cup or tube that a nylon ball joint fits into. This 'ball' is permanently fitted to a splined fitting which in turn slides onto the selector shaft that stick out of the side of the gearbox.

I do have the part number for this boot/gaiter, but its at home! will post it later if thats the one you want?

What about posting a pick or searching the ETKA diagrams which people have posted links to on here previously?

A phone call to VW will sort it anyhow.

Good luck
1.9 DG Bilbos 'Arragon' Hitop LPG'd by Gasure
1.9 TDi Golf Mk4 Estate
Member no 3288

Post by 1664 »

I think it is the top of the 'boot' that has split and also the concertined (good word that!) rubber cover (bit like a 'black ribbed knobbler' open ended condom). Both are right next to the gearbox on the right hand side facing forward.
I think I'm just going to have to drive to VW at the weekend, then at least I can point to them. :roll:
Maybe they'll have them in stock too :D

Oh, and sorry, not only am I a complete norris with mechanics I am with a computer too so can't post pics - can take them though

Horza
80-90 Mem No: 1123

Post by Horza »

a 'black ribbed knobbler' open ended condom

:shock:

Not to be used as a contraceptive device then? Except of course she wont let you any where near her while your wearing it!! :D

Phone your VW dealer, ask for parts and if they are anything like mine he will understand what you are describing and provide part numbers. You can then use those part numbers with GSF if you must but you might be surprised at the price from VW.
Euan

Economic migrant, cultural extremist and religious bigot.

Horza
80-90 Mem No: 1123

Post by Horza »

ETKA Says

251 711 167 E - Bellows - For the upy downy bit.

251 711 167 F - Bellows - For the fronty backy bit, 2 of.

Use plenty of grease.
Euan

Economic migrant, cultural extremist and religious bigot.

Post by 1664 »

Cheers, I'll give them a bell today.....I'll post the price if its likely to shock!! :?

Post by 1664 »

what's ETKA? Where?