Leisure battery, I need idiot proof advice!

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

BillyBus
80-90 Mem No: 3446

Leisure battery, I need idiot proof advice!

Post by BillyBus »

I am thinking about trying to add another battery as a 'leisure battery' to run lights, fridge, TV etc, when I don't have a hook up. I have heard about leisure batteries, and about linking them to the existing battery etc. What I would worry about would be managing to discharge that, and the van battery without realising, or does the leisure battery run independently?, Sorry for being so clueless, its my natural state when it comes to all things electrical and such!
I did get a portable power pack, but it runs down in a day (and thats only running a 12v fridge!), and the only other use it had was to jump start someones car, when they ran a TV in a caravan, off their car battery for an evening, and totally flattened the battery! And thats why I want to do something more foolproof!
Cheers!

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

clartsonly
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by clartsonly »

that wiki is wicked :)
Dylan = C Reg 1986 T25 1900 Water Cooled..

magic bus
80-90 Mem No: 3016

Post by magic bus »

ive got a leisure battery fitted,when i tried the fridge on it, it killed it in no time so have pulled the fuse and only use the fridge on gas or 240.I used the wiring set up from this site with added 12volt meter for battery level,just campers have battery meters in there new catalogue.

gaz
are we there yet! 3016

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

the fridge should only work on 12v when the engine is running as it will draw a lot of current
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)