What would you do?

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

booster24
80-90 Mem No: 1803

What would you do?

Post by booster24 »

OK, I've got a water jacket leak on my right cylinder which drips but needs sorting, was going to get some one to sort it but now have some ramps to drop the engine my self, so I thought I'll renew the water gaskets myself as well, I've worked on motorcycle engines and bits alot and thought how hard can it be. The other dilemer is that I need the van for a kite surfing comp at the end of the month, this engines a vege engine , done 20,000 miles and is 10 years old. If I snap the head studs I'm bollocked for transport to Cornwall but I want the van to running right. Do I go ahead and try and do this before I go and if so do I need any special tools? Also my fuel gauge stopped working yesterday, I want to try and short out the lead coming from the sender but had a look this morning to see If I can get to it, do I have to drop the fuel tank tyo sort this out?
Cheers
Pete

booster24

Post by booster24 »

Any ideas?

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

id wait until you don't need it. these jobs end up taking miles longer than you think, unless the leak is really bad. i thought mine was leaking last month until i took the tinware if and found it to be a leaking coreplug. yey!! sill took 2 weeks to get hold of an adjustable pushrod tube as the other wouldn't fit back on without taking the head off :shock:

when i was reading up about the water jacket i was lead to believe if the bolts are rusty they may go quarter of a turn so if they don't free after that its the give in rusty bolts moving before they snap. also in a 2.1 the bolts are better than the others giving you a much better chance. this is only advice and things Ive ether heard or read about and I'm far from being an expert but i thought it may give you the hope i wanted :D

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

booster24

Post by booster24 »

Cheers Jed, sounds like I'll use the van as it is to get to cornwall and sort it out on my return, the temp gauge has never gone past half way and it seems to hold coolent fine when driving, I did put some of that sealant in when I changed the coolant, not rad weld it was the stuff that everyone recommended but it has'nt seald the leak, is worth putting in another bottle? And do I need to take off the fuel tank to sort the sender out?
Cheers

SteveW
80-90 Mem No: 2760

Post by SteveW »

I think if it is the outer seal that is dripping you may find that it stops when the weather gets warmer, like the last few days have been. I would leave it for now but keep a close eye on the water levels and the temp gauge. You should have a low water warning too but do not allow the water or should I say coolent level get that low. Always refill with coolant rather than water.

As for the sender yes you will have to drop the tank. Jack up the front of the van and place on axle stands. Then remove the filler pipe. The front of the tank rests on a lip on the cross member. Put a jack under the middle of the tank. Undo the two bolts on the retaining bars at the front and remove the two bars. Lower the tank on the jack making certain that it is still resting on the front lip. Do not go too far or the breather pipes will pull out and they are fun to get back in. You will now be able to see the sender which is on the nearside about 1/2 way along. If it is not the wire but the sender the tank will have to be drained and removed to gain acces to take the sender out, you will also have to make up a tool to remove it. If you have to remove the tank I would advise that you change all the breather seals, breather pipes, filler neck seal, Fuel filter (use the correct one not a cheap one) and petrol pipes while you are at it. I hope this helps.
Never enough time

booster24

Post by booster24 »

Thats great cheers steve, thought it would be abit of a bugger, never mind, thats the beuty of having these wagons its a love hate thing :lol:

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

member 1168

Dubstar
80-90 Mem No: 3009

Post by Dubstar »

Don't know about the engine, but on a friends van that I brought back from Germany for them, the gauge didn't work on that either. I was ready to drop the tank and check all the wires, sender, the lot, but it actually was just some corrosion on the fuse. A quick bit of sanding later and it works perfectly. You never know, you might be as lucky as I was, and it might just be a corroded fuse.

clartsonly
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by clartsonly »

my fuel gauge and some dash lights are intermitent that is related to the plastic printed circuit ribbon cable thingy on the dash
Dylan = C Reg 1986 T25 1900 Water Cooled..

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

Post by shepster »

I was faced with the exact same dilemma last year, i noticed a small 'weep' from the water jacket around April time and we were due to do Cornwall in the May so i asked on here and got the same response as yourself so i risked it and kept a close eye on the levels and guess what.....................................it still weeps a bit now and i've been to Cornwall twice and we're due to go again in May and July this year and it hasn't got any worse in the last 12mths (although i'm sure it will one day soon) but untill that day comes i'm just going to keep going and make sure my breakdown cover is up to date. By the way mine leaks more in the Winter too.
2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.

booster24

Post by booster24 »

Sweeeeeeeeeet! That gives me time to flush out the water tank after the miss's put PETROL in it :cry: . And sort the fuel gauge problem. Cheers all.

Horza
80-90 Mem No: 1123

Post by Horza »

That gives me time to flush out the water tank after the miss's put PETROL in it

See all the untold horror storys that get said very quietly at the bottom of threads and don't get noted for future enquiry and axelnutting!!!
Euan

Economic migrant, cultural extremist and religious bigot.

booster24

Post by booster24 »

Sorted the fuel gauge problem.. Had to take off the fuel tank which was fun with half a tank of fuel still in (had nothing to put it in) and took out the sender, all it was that the bloody float had come off!!!!
Put back on and all is now well again :)
Just the engine to do now when I get back from cornwall :?