Broken gear lever!

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

funbus3
80-90 Mem No: 2708

Broken gear lever!

Post by funbus3 »

Wow, don't know my own sterength!!

Gear selection has been sloppy for a while so in addition to a new lever (or maybe a repair to existing) and a ball joint repair kit anything else I could/should look at replacing whilst its in bits?

Also is it a VW dealer job for the above bits?

monkeynut
80-90 Mem No: 4715

Post by monkeynut »

I peged mine with a long alan key cut the end off then smacked ito the top part of the lever(leaving 2 inchs sticking out of the end) with a big hammer ..
then clamp the bottom bit with mole grips (very tightly) so the mounting plate will take the shock and not the shaft as you smack the gear lever with peg into the remaing shaft. find the rite size of key so it will have to hammered in and not just tapped(9mm i think)
make shure the the broken lever is mated up together as no to put all the load on the peg,
worked for me
My van is rusty and smells like a chippy

Kool-Kamper

Post by Kool-Kamper »

I did this the other month.
There I was at a red traffic light and selected 1st and SNAP was left with a knob and stick in my hand.
It was a rear arris to drive so welded it...was broken about 3 inches from white bit.
Then that snapped.
Made a phone called to local VW dealership, after asking many scrappies.
To my amazment it came in under £50!!!! The young lad looked really shocked when he asked if I needed to book it in and I said I was going to give it a go.
Took ME an hour to fit
Very very easy, can talk you through it if you want.
Didn't break any finger nails etc
I would be quite happy to do it for youif you were local, be sure to get new nut and bolt and sirclips, I snapped my 19 year old circlip.
All in a woman's days work!!

monkeynut
80-90 Mem No: 4715

Post by monkeynut »

if getting a fresh one Make shure you get the rite gear lever for the van there a few different types.
i drove mine with screw driver for a while (i have long arms) :lol:
My van is rusty and smells like a chippy

Kool-Kamper

Post by Kool-Kamper »

monkeynut wrote:if getting a fresh one Make shure you get the rite gear lever for the van there a few different types.
i drove mine with screw driver for a while (i have long arms) :lol:

from what the yoof at VW said there is about 6 different types. I took mine down there with van, to match up with out a doubt, also refused to pay unit I had the new one took cross match

funbus3
80-90 Mem No: 2708

Post by funbus3 »

Ended up using a big screwdriver as a temporary gear lever, repair was a doddle of a job, easily got new lever and plastic repair kit from VW dealer about £80 for both.

Shift guides were badly worn so changed them at the same time, made a massive difference to gear selection.

Thanks fo the advice.