changing insurance to camper.

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

kefty
80-90 Mem No: 3304

changing insurance to camper.

Post by kefty »

Hello Guys
I have a soon to be converted panel van and its currently in process of being made liveable in the rear with storage, lighting, charge system, Hi-Fi/TV and gas hob. Does this mean I change the details with Direct Line? Also would this be cheaper and what is my van called, as currently its a 1.9 Transporter. Advice sought and gratefully received. My van is in Club 80-90 garage by the way. http://forum.club8090.co.uk/garage.php? ... cle&CID=73
Club80-90 membership number 3304
86 2.1DJ tintop

Bowton Lad
80-90 Mem No: 2488

changing insurance to camper

Post by Bowton Lad »

Some insurers have certain criteria which must be met in order to insure you vehicle as a camper. This is to stop unscrupulous people throwing a mattress in the back of a panel van & trying to get cheaper camper insurance.

There are 4 or 5 points they look at, including: 1) rear side windows, 2) permanently fitted bed, 3) hob with/without grill 4) fridge/?coolbox? 5) possibly a sink.

Why not phone D/L & ask them what their rules are? :)
BOWTON LAD, CLUB 80-90 MEMBER No.2488

2013 VW PASSAT ESTATE 2.OL TDI BLUE MOTION TECHNOLOGY

Ivor Brownun
80-90 Mem No: 732

Post by Ivor Brownun »

I think you may have to change the log book as well, otherwise when you try to insure it later with someone else it will show as a panel and they w on't pay out it's true value if the worse happens.
Member 732,

Willoughby
80-90 Mem No: 3068

Post by Willoughby »

Hi kefty
Direct Line insurance treat a camper as a panel van. If the worst happens the only fix the van and not the camper.

Kev