Dash temp. warning light

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

BillyBus
80-90 Mem No: 3446

Dash temp. warning light

Post by BillyBus »

Something which has been bugging me though it does not seem to cause a problem. The red light on the temperature gauge intermittently flashes. Sometimes it will flash for a whole journey, over an hour or so, and other times it does not come on at all, and sometimes it flashes for a few minutes then goes off. There seems to be no logic to when it flashes, or not. Any ideas as to why this happens and if there is anything I should be doing about it much appreciated!

veedweeb
80-90 Mem No: 3328

Post by veedweeb »

It should flash for a few seconds when starting up, and then it should stay off.

If it starts flashing again, it means there's not enough coolant (or the coolant level sensor or its wiring is dodgy). Turning the engine off and restarting might make it go out.

First, check there's enough coolant and that the system is bled properly - see if that makes it go off and stay off.

If not, check the contacts/wiring to the sender - it's in the header tank (the one with the blue cap)
Member 3328

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

it is also high temp warning light, not just low coolant warning
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

veedweeb
80-90 Mem No: 3328

Post by veedweeb »

Mocki wrote:it is also high temp warning light, not just low coolant warning

D'oh!

I forgot to mention that!
Member 3328

BiC
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by BiC »

This has happened twice to me in the last 6 months. Initailly, just a week after my having bought the T25. I was puzzled as the lower water reserviour (by the rear number plate) was full - hadn't realised there was a second, top water tank (next to my battery). Cleaned the sensor on the top unit and put some water in it and it fixed the problem.

Re-occurred last month after the van had been parked at a 20 degree angle on my drive for 10 days. Found the lower tank was dry - topped up both to max ;evels and its been fine ever since - not lost and water either.

Hope this helps - it may be a symptom of a bigger fault, but hopefully not.

BillyBus

Post by BillyBus »

BiC wrote:T I was puzzled as the lower water reserviour (by the rear number plate) was full - hadn't realised there was a second, top water tank (next to my battery). Cleaned the sensor on the top unit and put some water in it and it fixed the problem.

A second tank??? I have not spotted another one. My battery is behind the drivers seat, and I am sure there is no tank there, as I have had the battery out from there and never noticed a thing.
In terms of coolant level, the problem happens even when the tank (or at least the one tank I know of, accessed by the rear number plate) is full to the Max mark, also the gauge for the actual temperature never gets above the 'half way' point on the dial, so I am pretty sure its not overheating.

Guess first thing to do would be look for a second tank! Thanks
for the tip!
:)

BiC
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by BiC »

Mine's a T25 Transporter. 1600cc deseil 1989 F plate. Here's the engine pic frrom the back, with raer door open and engine cover removed, looking down into the engine bay.

Takn 1: upper tank next to battery
Tank 2: lower tank (not shown) behind number plate pop door.

charlie brown syndrome
80-90 Mem No: 8272

Post by charlie brown syndrome »

or if its a petrol, then one of the tanks is behind the number plate door,
the other tank is
with the engine lid off, just to the left hand side of the other tank, usually with a blue cap and a breather pipe coming of the top of the cap(i think)

BillyBus

Post by BillyBus »

Thanks so much!!!!!
I located the second tank, where charlie brown syndrome said it would be!
It was about half full, but probably also explains why I have had to be topping up the small tank almost weekly! Anyway I have now filled up both properly, and when I started the engine the flashing red light flashed for about 20 seconds then went off, which it has never done before. I will be interested to see what happens when I drive it properly tomorrow, but looks like thats fixed it!
Honestly I have sooo much to learn! I know the basics like topping up oil, tyre pressures etc, but this is my first camper and I feel like there is so much more I need to know, before I really mess my engine up!!!

Thanks for all the help guys! Hope you don't get too fed up with my daft questions :)

airhead
80-90 Mem No: 2980

Post by airhead »

BillyBus wrote:where charlie brown syndrome said it would be!

OK so now weve got the coolant issues sorted, maybe a visit to the doc about the charlie brown syndrome might be in order. I understand that hearing voices guiding mechanical maintenance is a pretty advanced stage of it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ross

1987 1.9td Leisuredrive camper.