conking out again!

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

JaneH
80-90 Mem No: 0

conking out again!

Post by JaneH »

posted on here a while back and problem settled but started again arrrrgh :evil:
(T25 automatic)
took the van out yesterday and drove 10-15 miles no probs then out of the blue she starts losing power (slightly uphill stretch, nothing major) acceleration goes, and then dies on me. takes a few minutes to restart but fires and pulls off ok only to go a couple more miles then does the same (both on slight gradients and on the flat!).
We limped (literally) back from Bakewell to Belper - very painful with the stop/start periods reducing each time.
I'm a keen and eager to learn type of mechanic i.e. know where the fuel,oil and water go :D
does any one have any suggestions please?

PS why when you put your hazards on do other drivers still insist on driving up your a**e?
thanks
Jane

Fritz
80-90 Mem No: 380

Post by Fritz »

Could do with some more information such as ;;

Year build,
engine size and type (Air cooled/water cooled/ pertol /diesel ) ?

Regards

Fritz,,,,,,, :D
One day you will find me,,
Driving in my Camper,
With a Surf and Paisley wrap on both sides....

wasserleaker
80-90 Mem No: 3058

Post by wasserleaker »

Mine did something similar a while back, [ its a 2.1 petrol injection engine,] turned out to be a prob with the magnetic pick up in the distributor baseplate packing up when the engine had warmed up, it was fine for 1st 15 mins. or so, then would start misfiring, backfiring, and eventually stop, wouldnt restart til engine had cooled down for half hour or so, just a suggestion, i changed allsorts of parts unnecessarily before i found out thats what the problem was, dont know if thats what your prob is but could be summat to consider if its an inj. petrol, hope you manage to cure it!

Fritz
80-90 Mem No: 380

Post by Fritz »

OK then its a 1600 petrol,,,,,,,,same fault as before, I guess I'd be trying some of the suggestion made last time when it happened,,,, :D

Regards

Fritz,,,,,,,,,,,,, :o
One day you will find me,,
Driving in my Camper,
With a Surf and Paisley wrap on both sides....

Rozzo
80-90 Mem No: 3339

Post by Rozzo »

you sure the breather in your fuel cap or tank isn't blocked? try to make it do it again and as soon as it does take the fuel cap off and see if theres a rush of air into it? sounds just like that to me?
LT owner and positively rattling around with the new found space
member 3339

Bowton Lad
80-90 Mem No: 2488

conking out again!

Post by Bowton Lad »

Fuel pump???
BOWTON LAD, CLUB 80-90 MEMBER No.2488

2013 VW PASSAT ESTATE 2.OL TDI BLUE MOTION TECHNOLOGY

BillyBus
80-90 Mem No: 3446

Post by BillyBus »

Sounds almost identical to the problem I had last year. Try checking out your fuel filter, and fuel pump.

JaneH

Post by JaneH »

more info as requested - 1985, petrol 1915cc, Aircooled (?), hitop last time it was muck in the carb (apparently). Just had a full service including new fuel filter.
It doesn't misfire or play up before it dies..............it just dies.
thanks,
jane

Bowton Lad
80-90 Mem No: 2488

conking out again!

Post by Bowton Lad »

JaneH wrote: 1985, petrol 1915cc, Aircooled (?)

1915cc petrol = water cooled. :)
BOWTON LAD, CLUB 80-90 MEMBER No.2488

2013 VW PASSAT ESTATE 2.OL TDI BLUE MOTION TECHNOLOGY

JaneH

Re: conking out again!

Post by JaneH »

Bowton Lad wrote:
JaneH wrote: 1985, petrol 1915cc, Aircooled (?)

1915cc petrol = water cooled. :)

Ta - told you I'm no expert :oops:
Jane

hammy44
80-90 Mem No: 3462

Post by hammy44 »

again another reply of just sounds like mine. i had 3 mechanics looking at mine and give up with them i bought a bottle of redex fuel treatment and within 2 tanks of fuel through it it ran perfect and has been ever since

JaneH

Post by JaneH »

hammy44 wrote:again another reply of just sounds like mine. i had 3 mechanics looking at mine and give up with them i bought a bottle of redex fuel treatment and within 2 tanks of fuel through it it ran perfect and has been ever since

Hi Hammy,
what is 'redex fuel treatment' pls?
:? Jane

hammy44
80-90 Mem No: 3462

Post by hammy44 »

hi jane its a 500ml bottle of fuel treatment /cleaner which can be bought in most places that sell accesseries etc for cars there is one for diesel and one for petrol you put so much in per gallon,most service/ filling stations should keep it . i always thought they were a con or gimmic but after using in mine i would swear by it mine sounds just like the way yours is behaving or worse but at £5 ish a bottle its worth a try.if you go down this road let me know how you got on.as i say i would swear by it now.regards jim

bradcab

Post by bradcab »

sounds like a fuel related problem, but don't count out an electrical failure within the ignition system.

from your prognosis, drives fine warms up, conks out, cooldown a bit, limping home.

sounds like a coil on its way out

with fuel once it goes its goes! leaks, low fuel pressure, blockages. Can you smell ne thing?

when was the last time it was serviced, plugs, points, leads, rotor, cap etc?

the condition of the plugs will tell you alot! Get them out, if their black, fuel not being burnt, no spark,

check cap for cracks, check points for pitting (little holes) rotor arm for both

check leads (with thick rubber gloves on) for cracks when running!

Borrow a coil if you can to test. all in all you could do all that in an afternoon for £40 ish? Renew all, no worries then.
WHO'S THE MORE FOOLISH? THE FOOL OR THE FOOL THAT FOLLOWS HIM?

Surfrider

Pain in a***

Post by Surfrider »

I had similar problem on 2.1dj.
van would drive great and approaching normal temperature to then would suddenly cut out. I would not start for about ten minutes ( as though it were damp). Then it would fire perfectly. Off you go to cut out again 2 miles down the road.

I tried a few things, redex (certianly wont do any harm)
Replaced fuel filter, plugs and dist + cap, leads.

I obtained another Air Flow Meter and slotted that in complete with a capacitor soldered as suggested in the 'vanagon syndrome' link. Since that no probelms have occurred.

I believe my AFM was not functioning as it should. See if you can borrow one off someone to slot in before you go spending any money.
Lead me not to temptation. I can find it on my own.