1.9 TD AAZ and ABR Gearbox, how fast?

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Horza
80-90 Mem No: 1123

1.9 TD AAZ and ABR Gearbox, how fast?

Post by Horza »

Can someone with an engineering head tell me where I should mark my redline in fifth given that I have a 1.9 TD AAZ engine mated to the gearbox from a 1.7 n/a Diesel?

Ratios would be

First 4.11
Second 2.33
Third 1.476
Fourth 1.023
Fifth 0.816
Final 5.5

I'm not sure how fast the engine is supposed to rev but I'm told it's not as much as the 1.7 did.
Euan

Economic migrant, cultural extremist and religious bigot.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Euan,

With a std. governor in the pump, it'll slow down and give up somewhere around 4200~4500 rpm anyway.

If its all in good nick people 'frig' the governor on these to at least 5000, some up to 6000.

Have you got a wastegate bleed valve on it, or is it std? Std. it'll give about 7.5~9 psi boost, with a bleed and good turbo and decent manifold system about 13~15 psi, but would need more fuel to make much use of it (a pump mod, or two)

But if you're after reliability which seems to be the drift of your question, then think:-

1) Oil pressure and oil temp
2) Oil pressure and oil temp
3) Engine temp (when working hard, pulling long inclines or the like) this engine puts a lot more heat into water than your NA or a petrol. If your body wasn't originally of the type with wider cooling duct under the cab floor (rubber mat will tell) and the more powerful rad fan, then keep a good eye out for the temp gauge rising when working hard for more than a couple of minutes.

An oil temp gauge and an EGT gauge are generally useful on these vehicles, if you intend to 'use ' the engine. Its EGt that'll do damage and/or high oil temps reducing oil pressure.

And an oil cooler is one of the best mods IMHO.

That is, I don't think revs alone will harm it, but a slight increase in gearing through wheels/tyres would help cruising, just don't go too far in one go...

Don't go whanging around right hand corners too hard, e.g. roundabouts taking the 3rd exit, until you know it isn't one that picks up oil and runs on it... if it roars off upon such provocation then drop the throttle immediately and apply some judicious braking - and avoid that again!

Enjoy!
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

Horza

Post by Horza »

Cool, as it were.

I was aware of the right hand corner issue and have adapted my usual golf boy driving style to suit, at least in one direction. Breather pipe modification to follow soonest, catch tank of some sort probably.

Temp was my next nerve pont on the way home. If anything it seemed to be having trouble staying warm. The water temp would sit at half way pootling around and then drop given any particular wind through the grill. I have no idea what to look for on the floor as regards underfloor ducting but I have additional fans fitted activated at the moment by a switch on the dash. I can wire these to auto if I have to. I have a new additional pump but haven't wired this to go off due to not knowing where the 107 degree switch is or should be located.

I stopped a couple of times and checked the oil temp by the dipstick method. Toasty warm but not uncomfortable was the result.

I appear to have the wastegate and the turbo is apparantly a good one. I don't intend to modify the pump to get more oomph as it seems to be pretty oomphy as is.

I will be getting a rev counter and possibly some other guages/senders. I like to know what my engine is up to, more so since the failure of my last one. My worry is on a nice long trip I don't want to toast it by sitting too fast for too long and making it sing. With the camper interior between me and the noisy bit it's fairly quiet (no raised voices in the front). With the music on in will be harder to hear what's happening back there.
Euan

maximus
80-90 Mem No: 2930

Post by maximus »

I drove back from Southport today back to stockport and there was a stretch on the 62 where I was up hill nailing it for a while temp gauge stayed in the middle, like you said sometimes it stays well below half way :?:

maximus

Post by maximus »

Oh by the way mine is 5 speed westy box, don't know what type though

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

Some body pressings were wider through the cooling tunnel under the gearstick, so even the rubber mats were different. All turbo diesel bodies possibly!

If the oil buzzer doesn't go, then you've got a better one than me, just discovered mine is an 'Industrie-Motor', ADG, finally uncovering the engine code stamping after 2 years! Still, its a '94 and got to quite a few events these last two years... but really needs a rebuild, had a hard life apparently even before I got it :wink:

the auxiliary water pumps (electric) often don't work, and don't do much when they do!

Steep uphill right-handers are the worst! Killers

Just keep looking for a proper oil cooler, though they're not cheap. Just a bit cheaper than swapping the engine :)

Change the oil a bit more frequently than normal, certainly to start with - but all sounds pretty good for a new install - ensure the dipstick mod has been done, so you know you've about 4.5 litres in there, not a pennny more or a penny less...
Wiki 1.9TD Upgrade - Select Section No. 7

Syncronaut No. 1

maximus

Post by maximus »

I take it the Oil drains away???

Horza

Post by Horza »

Not sure how that works. I thought the right hander thing was oil from the rocker cover breather falling down into the turbo. Under power or high revs given low gears I spose there could be more oil in the air from the breather.

At the other end there is the big flat sump and I'm not sure where the pickup is. How easy is it for the pickup to be out of the oil?

Maximus, you're only down the road from me; perhaps we can compare notes sometime. Whatever happened to the North West Monkey meets?
Euan

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

Yes, but at the same time there is a possibility of oil surge thro' the turbo on some layouts, and you don't want that when there's scant oil getting to the bottom-end... uphill, lifting off is not an option one wants to have to use.

There is a plastic oil pickup filter baffle for these engines, but it's not fitted to all of them, in fact might not fit the JX pickup

Syncronaut No. 1

philippacman
80-90 Mem No: 2371

Post by philippacman »

horza/maximus if your getting together giz a shout ill try make it to :P
if its not broke dont fix it, or i will ;-)

BE NICE LIFE IS TOO SHORT,drink more beer