Polish on cellulose paint.

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

purplechugster
80-90 Mem No: 0

Polish on cellulose paint.

Post by purplechugster »

I need a good polish. The cleaning product, not an eastern european meal.

Last time I polished my van, which has got a cellulose-based paint job, the polish was quite rough, and also left an awful residue. Where the spray job was less than perfect, it filled all the imperfections with white stuff which made the van look like it was covered in crazy paving (it was almost cool...)

So can anyone recommend the correct type of polish which will leave it looking shiney (at least shiney where the spray job is shiney...) and not leave it covered in goo? Should be pretty gentle too, as the paint is a little thin in places.

Ta.

:D
One T25 in London, another one in Sydney.

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

"Mer" does a really good job, not cheap though.
member 1168

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

turtle wax ...Express wax, no residue and shiny shiny
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

dalmationman

Post by dalmationman »

I get good results with Autoglym.
Polish, and then next day put on the surface protector liquid.
Shines really well.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Where the spray job was less than perfect, it filled all the imperfections with white stuff which made the van look like it was covered in crazy paving (it was almost cool...)

Thats called 'Orange Peel' and as long as it's smooth orange peel and large enough no problem (kewl), but at a small scale it can get rough and do exactly what you say*. A result of spraying too thickly or at wrong temperature (thinners too wet for temp), or the paint not being thinned properly... as you say can be good or bad depending.. sounds yours is bad....

Cut it back with heavy cutting compound, strong arms or a big buffing pad, then wax to your hearts content

* sounds like its not the polish but you were applying it in too hot weather, polsihing toio large an area at one time, or not damping the cloth you were using to apply and not putting half enough elbow grease into poslishing it off (quickly enough)... don't extend yourself, work in smal areas ( 4-6 sq ft at time, not half the roof in one go!

I'm with Bob, Mer is brilliant stuff...
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

purplechugster

Post by purplechugster »

HarryMann wrote: Thats called 'Orange Peel' and as long as it's smooth orange peel and large enough no problem (kewl), but at a small scale it can get rough and do exactly what you say*. A result of spraying too thickly or at wrong temperature (thinners too wet for temp), or the paint not being thinned properly... as you say can be good or bad depending.. sounds yours is bad....

Cut it back with heavy cutting compound, strong arms or a big buffing pad, then wax to your hearts content

Yup, very very orangey :roll:

But that was the last paint job - it got so bad, and then the polish was the final straw, that the whole lot got taken off and a new lot put on. This paint job is much better, but still quite a long way from perfect. So I dont want to muck up an okay paint job with a bad polish!

several recommendations here - I'll maybe try a couple in small patches and see what kind of results I get

:D
One T25 in London, another one in Sydney.

Ray
80-90 Mem No: 94

Post by Ray »

In a recent auto express test Comma top gloss car polish came out best. I tried it and it is really good.
Ray
2.1dj RHD syncro

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

800 grade wet and dry (very wet all the time, dash of Fairy Liquid) with a proper rubber block is the way to get rid of bad orange-peel if the paint is thick enough (usually is well thick, that's one reason fro OP, too much in one coat)
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

"WEAZLECHIN"

Post by "WEAZLECHIN" »

who painted it ? stevie wonder! .......... orange peel ? i wouldnt be taking it back there for paint.