Jacking van

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Kool-Kamper

Jacking van

Post by Kool-Kamper »

OK I know there is a great wealth of knowledge out here somewhere!
I need to jack up the front of my camper, I think I have a front brake dragging. I don't have a vw jack but do have a 2.5 ton trolley jack. Where should I jack it up? I have asked the haynes manual but it doesn't give me much help as they just talk about the standard jack.
Please help a female in need!

Tex Ritter
80-90 Mem No: 1057

Post by Tex Ritter »

Chock the back wheels, jack up under each front pressed steel suspension 'arm' in turn. DON'T go under the van unless you use axle stands.

It may be prudent to use a flattish piece of wood twixt jack and suspension arm.

Tex Ritter
Last edited by Tex Ritter on 11 Mar 2007, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.
If you never have a route planned ...how can you ever be lost?

Kool-Kamper

Post by Kool-Kamper »

Ta for that...
They would be the big bits?! Can I just use jack or should I put bit of wood on it?

Tex Ritter
80-90 Mem No: 1057

Post by Tex Ritter »

Yes they would be the bits that the shockers are fastened to.

Wood would be wise, see my amended thread above.

TR
If you never have a route planned ...how can you ever be lost?

Kool-Kamper

Post by Kool-Kamper »

it's not the front it's the offside rear, can not turn wheel! Now off to ask haynes for next step

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

Chock wheels front and back on the opposite side to the one you are working on. hand brake on and in gear till you get it up. Axel stands are HIGHY recomended put under the chassis cross members. gig red 3 tonne? jobs from machine mart. Farm jack or hi lift jack is recomended to get the height to be able to drop it down onto the axel stands. Best to have both sides up on stands so there is not an angle between the axle stand and the chassis member.if taking a wheel off then leave it under somewhere as a fail safe so the van doesn't get to the ground. It may save your life, but maybe not a leg.
member 1168

Kool-Kamper

Post by Kool-Kamper »

got van up on axle stands all chocked up. but haven't got the stregnth to do want I want to so off to lower and wait for a strong person!!
Will probably be posting later for advise on how to free stuck drum brake!!

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Checkout the Wiki, here
http://wiki.80-90.co.uk/index.php/Brake ... _servicing

...and maybe here too

First get the handbrake cable loosened off...
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

Rozzo
80-90 Mem No: 3339

Post by Rozzo »

hi
make sure the wheels are chocked to prevent the van rolling, handbrake is off,,, wheel in question 1 inch off the ground then thrash it with a hammer (the wheel in between the wheelnuts)
this will tell you if the handbrake is stuck on as sometimes happens with all vehicles as if it is this will usually persuade it to come off.
if so your brakes may need adjusting correctly or the handbrake cable may be seized up.
to be safe i think i'd take it to a garage if you're unsure as the brakes are kinda essential to your safety :shock: :shock: :shock:
LT owner and positively rattling around with the new found space
member 3339

skell
80-90 Mem No: 1297

Post by skell »

3 tonne jack and 6 tonne axle stands always available for loan from our gaff, unless there's a van sitting on them of course, shouldn't be for a while onto boring interior design having sorted the mechanicals....
skell
1984 AAZ twin slider 'velle

Kool-Kamper

Post by Kool-Kamper »

skell wrote:3 tonne jack and 6 tonne axle stands always available for loan from our gaff, unless there's a van sitting on them of course, shouldn't be for a while onto boring interior design having sorted the mechanicals....
thanks for offer

'interior design' once you've toiled away and got it looking smart, I'll nick your ideas!!

what fabric have you decided on? and are you keeping the grass floor?

Horza
80-90 Mem No: 1123

Post by Horza »

Did you back off the brake adjuster?
Euan

Economic migrant, cultural extremist and religious bigot.

Kool-Kamper

Post by Kool-Kamper »

Horza wrote:Did you back off the brake adjuster?
Nope, all I did was put it back down and tidied up my tools. I had my 3 little helpers with me (7,6,and nearly 4). I asked them what the problem was but they had no idea.
So I really need a person to tell me whether it is brake binding or something else. I have no idea!!!
Also not strong enough to undo the bolts. must get a longer pole thing!!