regrind crank or new engine

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

84doubledoor
80-90 Mem No: 0

regrind crank or new engine

Post by 84doubledoor »

Timing belt jumped a tooth as I was taking it to the garage to get a new one fitted :roll: so stopped straigt away and got it towed in

Right belts on but a big but the oil pump was not doing it's job properly subsequently the crank shaft bearings are toast so a regrind is in order with new bearings and possible oil pump :?

So far the garage bill is £150 do I carry on or quit on this engine and find another

thank's in advance for any input

PS its a 1991 1.6td JX and I can only take a little technical jargon one bit at a time... so be easy on me :lol:

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Are the journals really scored, oval or below spec on diameter.. or is the garage just telling you it needs re-grinding.... in other words, could you get away with a set of shells?

Can be done but on some engines is not recommended - can take advice for you but might take a day or two to get back on it...

Thinking.... :idea:
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

84doubledoor

Post by 84doubledoor »

thanks for the reply Harry

Not sure if new shells would be enough..I could possible take photo's of the crank if this would help...allthough I do trust the mechanic 100% and from what he showed me the shells were in a bad way
and the oil was in very poor condition..only had the bus a few weeks but it ran great when I test drove it....first thing I did was book it in for new belt and oil change and did not use it up until this time

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

They're the only ones in aposition to judge, photos wouldn't help really.

So...
So far the garage bill is £150 do I carry on or quit on this engine and find another

Depends if the top end of the engine and the compressions are good. If they haven't been taken recently, then you can only judge by how well it went and the oil it used.

Maybe you should get a 'pretty firm' price on putting it all back together again after the crank's been out including fixing any other stuff on the way.
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

Bilbo Blue
80-90 Mem No: 2867

Post by Bilbo Blue »

If its any help i've got a head complete with crank for a JX.
Bought a re-manufactured Vee Gee engine and just after the guarantee ran out the head cracked and I had too replace it. It was a brand new crank etc at the time an its done less than 11,000 miles. You can have it, fed up off trippin over it in the shed.
Where are you based?
Blue.

1990, G reg, JX 1600TD, Bilbo Arragon hightop conversion.
A camper, a longboard and waves - what more is needed?

84doubledoor

Post by 84doubledoor »

Hi Bilbo

that the problem..I'm on a rock in the middle of the Irish sea :roll:
Thanks for you kind offer ..just goes to show how good the people are in VW scene these day 8) can I get back to you on this as it might be possible to just put new shells in :shock: we will see in the morning :wink:

thanks once again :D