Clonking from front wheels ?

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Stefvan
80-90 Mem No: 3185

Clonking from front wheels ?

Post by Stefvan »

I am getting a clonking from the front wheels that sounds like there is something flapping off the outside of the wheel and hitting the bodywork. But all I can see out of the ordinary is a split radius rod bush, the inner one. (On the opposite side to where I can hear the noise) Is that the likely culprit, or is there anything else anyone could suggest to track down the fault ?

thanks

Stefvan

83 T25, LHD,
1990 California Pop Top GTI

fairwynds
80-90 Mem No: 3288

Post by fairwynds »

Check the drop links, lower bushes where they join the stub axle..... mine clonked a goodun!
1.9 DG Bilbos 'Arragon' Hitop LPG'd by Gasure
1.9 TDi Golf Mk4 Estate
Member no 3288

Beach Bum
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Beach Bum »

Hi, I am no mechanic as Ade on here will second, but I had this a while ago and the way you described the noise as a clonk is exactly what I had. If it is more apparent when on a bumpy road or when you go over a dip check the top wish bone bushes. Hope this helps.
Steve
Always remember one thing my friend, this is the real thing. Life is not a dress rehearsal. So live life to the full with your BUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!