Tyres and weight rating

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mattrsa
80-90 Mem No: 3332

Tyres and weight rating

Post by mattrsa »

Been trying find a nice wet of alloys for a dew months now and think i have finally found the ones i want, but now i have the problem of the tyres.

I have read that the tyres should have at least a weight rating of 97,

now i have looked at the wheels thread on the brick yard and have seen the tyres other are using with 18's

for example 225/40 W 18

but i have searched around and it seems that the only 225/40 i can find have a weight rating of 92 or 94 and they cost and arm and a leg.

Can anyone help me on this one? Does the tyre HAVE to have a 97 load rating? or can anyone suggest where i can get some tyres that will fit the 18's which i hope to buy which wont cost as much as the alloys themselve.

Thanks alot

Matt

E D I T: opps just realised its the the wrong section sorry!

Horza
80-90 Mem No: 1123

Post by Horza »

You can use whatever tyres you want but how much do you think your van weighs? How much damage could it do if the sidewalls colapsed at speed, round a corner perhaps? How much do you value your van? your safety? the safety of your family/pets/cd collection or whatever you carry in your van?

Get big expensive load bearing rubber IMHO.
Euan

Economic migrant, cultural extremist and religious bigot.

mattrsa
80-90 Mem No: 3332

Post by mattrsa »

thanks for the advice,

to be honest the van does not way that much as it is completely empty and the only extra weight i plan to add is a r and r bed.

But i take what you are saying. Just wondering what tyres other are using with their rims.

busbuddy
80-90 Mem No: 3043

Post by busbuddy »

I'm putting 235/40-18s on the front of mine, you can get them in mega weight ratings

just for the record mine left the factory with commercials on the front but only reinforced on the back