white smoke, mmmmmmmm

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

tonytone
80-90 Mem No: 0

white smoke, mmmmmmmm

Post by tonytone »

ok, I had a vege 1.6TD engine fitted 6k miles ago. When it was fitted it transpired that Vege had set the injector pump wrong. So much so that when the engine was fired up first few times it filled, and I mean filled the street with smoke. The mechanic (ex VW) phoned them and then had to adjust the pump.

The van has always run great but its always smokey and smokes under heavy load, such as going uphill and when your struggling in the wrong gear. If you let the engine idle for a while then hit the accelerator (while stationary) it really chucks out white smoke.

Any suggestions ?, and any one know of someone in the worcester area that may be able to check it out for me.

help help help and help, Tony

Rozzo
80-90 Mem No: 3339

Post by Rozzo »

not got too much experience of smaller diesels but with the big stuff white smoke usually means either the engines running too cold,, the pump timings wrong or an injector is cracked.
LT owner and positively rattling around with the new found space
member 3339

dave friday
80-90 Mem No: 5533

Post by dave friday »

mine put out clouds of white smoke on start up,and would have a sort of mis-fire for a few minuits,after injection pump re-timing the smoke has gone!.so...have the pump timing checked?
good luck ,barry
I dont think, so I'm not[do I exist?]
1992 1600td [ jx ] syncro panel van[leisuredrive camper ]

airhead
80-90 Mem No: 2980

Post by airhead »

I have that exact same problem as you Dave Friday (or is your name Barry or what?). Ive always had it and never really bothered fixing it though to be honest. Its just a case of revving the engine a little and away I go!
Ross

1987 1.9td Leisuredrive camper.

dave friday
80-90 Mem No: 5533

Post by dave friday »

Airhead,yes my name is barry.i should have said used to put out clouds of smoke ,it's ok now after doing the injector pump timing.
I dont think, so I'm not[do I exist?]
1992 1600td [ jx ] syncro panel van[leisuredrive camper ]

Kermit
80-90 Mem No: 1211

Post by Kermit »

Does it smell of diesel? ... if so proberly the timing too far advanced, meaning it's squirting in the diesel too late and not burning it.

two options:

1. get the timing set-up correctly with the correct tool (DTI+Plunger) if your near me I have the tool and fairly simple to do.

2. crude, but effective, mark where the pump is now, slacken the bolts and injector pipes, move the pump anti-clockwise (a fraction only!) re-tighten and try. but remember to mark the position of the pump first before you move it !!

Kerr

"WEAZLECHIN"

Post by "WEAZLECHIN" »

KERMIT, hows it going with the 1.9d ? all good i trust....

Fox McIntyre
80-90 Mem No: 3364

Post by Fox McIntyre »

Kermit wrote: 1. get the timing set-upif your near me I have the tool and fairly simple to do.

Is wales near spain? :P

Kermit
80-90 Mem No: 1211

Post by Kermit »

Wheaselchin..

Like you were, I am now trying to get the bugger started ... finally got oil pressure and fuel through the injector pipes, timing is spot on but she refuses to start ...

It is trying to fire, but just dies off .. after spending all day on it last saturday my head went and I headed for fridge to demolish my stash of cider ... tools still on the floor and have on returned since.

Got a clear head again now and a week off so onward we go !!

Kerr

"WEAZLECHIN"

Post by "WEAZLECHIN" »

aah, i like the cider theory, but dont have a skinfull before workin on the van or you will most likely take an axe to it!!!! it sounds all to familiar, i had to get a mate to tow me with the van in second gear for a couple of hundred metres before it ran. then did fine adjustments to pump timing. all good now---45 to 50 mpg at 56mph.

airhead
80-90 Mem No: 2980

Post by airhead »

45 to 50mpg, with a JX turbodiesel engine? Jesus thats good!
Ross

1987 1.9td Leisuredrive camper.

Ivor Brownun
80-90 Mem No: 732

Post by Ivor Brownun »

, Kermit, when you said your head went I thought you meant the vans head had gone, :lol: , hope you get it sorted, sounds like you're nearly there.
Member 732,

"WEAZLECHIN"

Post by "WEAZLECHIN" »

sorry airhead, no its a 1y 1.9 non turbo, the same as kermit is in the proccess of getting going now..... from my house to woolacombe (devon) and back is 400 miles, i can do it on £40 if i stick to 56 - 60 mph. i sometimes think the fuel guage must be out or something !!!!!!!!!

ps kermit you may think the timing is spot on, but so did the diesel mechanic who looked at mine with the rocker cover off, it was (1mm)of adjustment that made white smoke and rough running cease in the end.