lesuire battery no charge

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

clartsonly
80-90 Mem No: 0

lesuire battery no charge

Post by clartsonly »

hello when I got the camper last sept.. I was shown around the electrics (I have since forgotten), but low and behold the lesuire battery has no charge in it.. I think I turned off the spit trickle charger.. is this possible.. if I have somehow now turned it on again, is it possible for it to charge up again or will I need to charge it seperately first as the charge meter shows 0 - 1 volt. not 11-12 volts.

the battery is quite new.. I think 1 year old, so I doubt the battery is at fault I think I switch off all the switches and the battery has just worked itself flat.
Dylan = C Reg 1986 T25 1900 Water Cooled..

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

it would be best if you charged it from a mains charger now it is dead flat.
As for switching off some switch, we might be able to help if you told us what conversion camper you have........
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Dan Wood
80-90 Mem No: 2309

Re: lesuire battery no charge

Post by Dan Wood »

clartsonly wrote:the battery is quite new.. I think 1 year old, so I doubt the battery is at fault

..but if you flatten a van battery and leave it flat for any length of time it will be broken. Even if it was brand new. :cry:

Fingers crossed it's only just gone flat, and hasn't started to gunk itself up yet!

clartsonly

Post by clartsonly »

hmmm thanks for your help I will try and get it out and photo the electrics... I am not sure it is an official camper conversion, there was talk of it being a holdsworth villa, but I think alot of work was done by the previous owner.

http://www.justkampers.co.uk/interactiv ... adid=97283

I am sure I remember being told to normally leave off the consumer unit and the MCP (RCD) or whatever and a switch outside of the cupboard which turned on the fridge unless it is joined to the power outlet, but I had also turned off a 3 pin socket with a transformer plugged in which looked like it had several sources of power (outlet or battery) and the transformer went to the lesuire battery. I have since switched this on but very little or no charge at all. it is a shame if it is broken as there is a nice light in the centre of the kamper joined to it :) ... nothing else though.. that I can see, unless the fridge was too and was switched on by accident.. I think I am going to have to have a dig around, but my main question has been answered that the chances of a little split charger completely charging a dead battery is not too likely.
thanks

clartsonly

Post by clartsonly »

here are some pictures of the electrics set up..

I have a horrible feeling I last night I unplugged the brown wire from the black box above the battery, then put it back on the wrong tab... :(

the wires do not seem very tight fitting on the battery terminals and I am not sure where the big red wire goes to from the neutral side of the battery..?

this is a clearer picture of the device near the lesuire battery.

I tried to sort the tabs cover out then replaced the cable onto the last tab and it looks like it should have been put onto the second from last tab... :doh:

clartsonly

Post by clartsonly »

okay I think I have plugged the last cable back into the wrong place.. I have plugged it into the last tab batt. charge (11) although the number 10 one say "batt tr" is this trickle charge? and should it be in the trickle rather than the last one? the cable goes straight to the + side of the battery?

thanks

myloser69
80-90 Mem No: 3126

Post by myloser69 »

Hello
You need to check the voltage output from the relay ie the pin you have conected to the leisure battery while the engine is running. This should read 13v ish. Check that there is 12v going into the relay and also check there is 12v going into the relay when the engine is running also check the earth to the relay and the earth on the leisure battery. Also get a good contact on the battery conections. If the relay is working correctly you should still have over 13vish across the leisure battery when the engine is running
OUR LASS, TWO KIDS, DOG, CAT, HAMPSTER AND A T25

clartsonly

Post by clartsonly »

thanks for the reply, so if the engine is running and the battery is empty if the connections are good the interior light joined to the lesuire battery should work? hmm..

that didn't happen, I have removed the battery at the moment, the big red wire appears to go from neutral to the tinware inside the engine compartment is that normal..?
Last edited by clartsonly on 10 Mar 2007, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.

myloser69
80-90 Mem No: 3126

Post by myloser69 »

Can you post some more pics ?
OUR LASS, TWO KIDS, DOG, CAT, HAMPSTER AND A T25

clartsonly

Post by clartsonly »

what pics do you need?

this is the big wire (the red one) from neutral to earth ( eg the tinware inside the engine bay) the white earth wire from the device / relay also goes to the neutral terminal, the only other wires connected are the battery charge meter, the fuse box and the "batt tr" terminal from the spilt charging device / relay mounted above the battery.