Clutch Hydraulic System...

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

clartsonly
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by clartsonly »

are they not these?

http://shop.justkampers.com/product_inf ... 2f66dd4732

they do not replace the plastic pipe version... if someone has access to ETKA, look at item 35a on a drawing

model Year MG SG illustration Update
T2 86 7 21 73-10 503

this is very similar to the replacement bit I think the part number is around 251721477J, this is not the exact part for sure, I am waiting for the nice lady at VW Wayside to get back to me, as she remembers sorting it out for me 6 months ago... :)

but as you can see on the ETKA image it goes from the pipe 32 to the slave cylinder as does 34 the rubber hose and 35 the "s" shaped steel clutch pipe.

I will update if VW get back to me.
Dylan = C Reg 1986 T25 1900 Water Cooled..

clartsonly

Post by clartsonly »

Ok just spoke to the lady who found my invoice the part number is

251 721 477J which is a variation of the part numbered 35 on the ETKA exploded view diagrams....

---------

this bit to confirm joins the clutch pipe at the chassis on the sliding door side of the gearbox, with a female end is made of hard plastic and joins directly into the the slave cylinder with a male attachment. I didn't ask again how much it was but it was about £15-20 from wayside letchworth on september 7 2006.

Thanks to VW dealership for helping out so much.. and eurocarparts for kindly giving me the ETKA diagram and possible part numbers..

I hope this is the bit you were looking for? :)

johncelliot

Post by johncelliot »

Clarts, thanks for taking the time to look up this part number. This may come in handy if I have to order the part from a main dealer.

I am still hoping to track down the part from one of the T25 spare parts dealers. I thought I had found the part from CJ at Syncro Spares, but it turned out to be different from the one I need. I think the one he sent me may be the flexible plastic pipe for the clutch master cylinder. Here is a pic of the two pipes. The one on the bottom is the one I need to replace, the one on the top is the one CJ sent me.

cheers,
JCE

clartsonly

Post by clartsonly »

for the sake of £15 to £20, why not just buy the VAG one..?

I spent 3 weeks in september looking for the part, driving to pirtec in luton to be told (we don't have those ends), to german and swedish to be told we don't stock that type of thing try just kampers to be given the wrong part (rubber flexi pipe). I phone wayside in letchworth and got a call two days later with the "bottom" part in your picture.. I cut the exact same bit got my new slave cylinder then realised the impossible task of anyone knowing what bit I needed.. I nearly forked out for the bracket and s bend clutch pipe, apart from the fact that you cannot get the bracket anymore.

I needed a blow torch to get the old bit out of the slave cylinder :D

johncelliot

Post by johncelliot »

Initially, I thought it would be quicker, cheaper, and easier to get the part from one of the T25 breakers than to order direct from VAG. Now that I have already paid money for a part (even though it is the wrong one), I will see if I can get the right part from CJ at Syncro Spares. If he doesn't have it, then I will try to order one from VAG.

Interestingly, I did talk to CJ about the part he sent, and it did definitely came off the rear of the vehicle at the clutch slave cylinder, so it must just be from a different year vehicle (I'm not sure when it changed, but my van is an 87). Still hoping to get the right part soon!

cheers,

JCE

clartsonly

Post by clartsonly »

I have been asked to post this PM...

pondm wrote: Many thanks for your information posted on the above. I went to my local dealer (Peter Cooper at Hedge End Southampton) armed with your information.
I asked for a connecting pipe from the clutch slave cyl. to the chassis for a 1990 VW Transporter and said I had the plastic pipe type and just left him to see what he came up with. He found what he thought was the bit and showed me the screen but it did not appear correct because it had a banjo connection at the cyl. end.
However, it was labeled No 35 (as you said) so I asked him for the part No and he said it was 251 721 477J (as you said it should be). So, without prompting he had ended up with the same part as you detailed.
I ordered it on Tuesday and it arrived today (Thursday) at my home address (Well done the Peter Cooper Spares Dept. man)
I am very pleased to report it is the correct bit. It has a Male union on the cyl. end, shaped plastic pipe, and female union on the chassis end.
So, with the confidence your info. gave me, it only took 4 days and £16 to resolve the problem.
I dont know how to post this on the Forum board so could you please do this for me and again many thanks.

johncelliot

Post by johncelliot »

I stopped by the VW dealer this morning on my way to work and ordered the part number as given by Clarts (I also had them look up the drawing just to make sure). It should be here on Tuesday.

Assuming it is the right part, I still have one issue. I broke the end off the metal pipe that runs the lenght of the van. The local garage said they should be able to put a new end on it for me, so hopefully I will have a running van again soon. My fear is that they will be unable to put a new end on the long metal clutch pipe, and I will have to replace that as well...

JCE

clartsonly

Post by clartsonly »

I saw the man make up my new brakes pipe for a volvo a few years back, I know this is made of steal not copper ( i think ) but as long as the end is still near the old position the plastic pipe should easily reach, (luckily... :D) I broke the brakes on my volvo years ago so recognised how tentative I needed to be with the clutch connection, this time around..

good luck with the repairs :)

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

This looks well worth Wikifying :) Good inputs all-round and hopefully a result
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

johncelliot

Post by johncelliot »

I just wanted to follow up on this. I now have my van back and in working order. I got the replacement plastic pipe from VW without any problem. I then took the van in to the local garage to have a new fitting put on the long metal clutch pipe that runs the length of the van. Unfortunately, they were unable to get the right fitting to mate with my new plastic pipe. They had to order and replace the long metal pipe. Luckily, the metal pipe was only £20. It did cost me a grand total of £200 from the garage. This was for 2.5 hours labour (they did fill and bleed the clutch hydrolic system, which apparently was quite challenging due to the lengths of the pipes involved), £20 for the pipe, and the VAT. To think that it all started with a quick 30 minute job of changing the master cylinder!

cheers,

John

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Thanks John,

In retrospect one would no doubt make different decisions at each point along the way, but c'est la vie, we've all been there, some many times... if anything will stand in your in good stead for when a brake cylinder needs changing :)

Nice of you to complete the story, so many take the advice on here and just run off somewhere till the next time they need help, and the next, and the... :roll:
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

sendiw
80-90 Mem No: 435

Post by sendiw »

I am going to attempt to replace my slave cylinder in the morning. Will let you know how I get on.
Wish me luck I am hoping to go to pickering next week.
Richie
Richie
Type25 2.0l a/c
Mem. No.435

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

The one CJ has sent you is for a syncro, which has a banjo connection at the slave cylinder to facilitate swap outs because of the worse access.

The rear pipe for the early hydraulic set up, eg CU and other aircooleds is no longer available from VW

The pipe for the waterboxers chassis number D0000001 to F 079999 is 251 721 479 C and is £27 plus the vat from vw

The pipe for the early diesels upto F 079999 is no longer available

The pipe for the diesel F 080000 is 251 721 477 J and is £14 plus vat from VW

This same pipe is used on the later wbxers as well as the diesels

Both use a connecting hose 251 721 477 D from the fixed line and this is £24 plus vat.

Hope this helps

Why don't people ask VW first - stuff is still available, a lot of it has come down in price recently too, get it now while you can.

sendiw
80-90 Mem No: 435

Post by sendiw »

I tried my best to disconnect the pipe from the s/cyl without damaging it but when I reassembled it all... brake fluid squirted out like a fountain from a crack in the metal pipe.
Anyway I have managed to remove the flexi hose without damaging the male union on the main line so tomorrow I will order 251 721 477J from VAG. My only concern now is that Aiden you say I also need another connecting hose.251 721 477D but no one else mentions this?

Will find out more tomorrow

PS. what a t*a* of a job
Richie
Type25 2.0l a/c
Mem. No.435