More Seatbelt mounting

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Stefvan
80-90 Mem No: 3185

More Seatbelt mounting

Post by Stefvan »

Hi
getting some welding done on the van and what to mount some rear seatblets for the rock & roll bed... for people, but predominantly for a child. I'm hoping someone has done it before to what I assume is a converted panel van. I've looked at the Wiki but it isn't clear. My seatbelts are the Securon 3-point inertia type that JK sell.

here's the instruction leaflet, showing a mounted reel in the rear of the vehicle (looking forwards from the engine bay at the near side of the vehicle)

I have an LHD camper, so that side is taken up with cupboards etc. Here's a picture of the inner off side of the rear where the right hand end of the seat goes. The sliding door is on the left of the picture. I have put arrows in my picture (below) to show where I am assuming I should put the chassis mounts. At the bottom of the picture you can see the lap belt that in the central position on the R & R bed. I haven't double checked to see if there's a mounting point near the arrow for the lower mounting point, but if there isn't one I am assuming I should have one welded in around there.

My questions are...
1 Is this the best place to mount the upper stirrup for comfort and safety ? Would it not be better further forward, either under the window hole or on a bar in where the window would be ?
2 Has anyone got a similar picture with a seatbelt installed ?
3 I am assuming that the reel is mounted inside the rear wheel arch panel, as in the diagram below, does the mount need to be more than the 1 bolt supplied ? In the picture below, it is reinforced with three bolts (got this picture from somewhere else)

Here is a diagram of the installed belt, looking back at the near side of the van from the rear. I'd also like to get hold of the trim piece marked 4 in the 2nd picture

hoping someone can help

tia

Stefvan
1990 California Pop Top GTI

poshbuggers
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by poshbuggers »

The multivan reel mounts in the rear side panel (probably covered by a cardboard trim) in the engine bay area. This trim is replaced by one with a suitably placed aperture made of plastic. It clips in place as the old one does. The reel bolts onto the frame just above load area level as pictured.

The exiting belt goes up to the D pillar. You may/may not have a captive nut in your D pillar but suitable captive nuts for the application, (pre-mounted on a strengthening plate) are available from Demon Tweeks and others for motorsport use. You'll need to make 2 holes in the D pillar and weld these plates in (nut facing the exterior - so its recessed).

In the seat side floor area you can do the same for the lower mount. One hole suitably drilled and a captive nut welded in.

The seatbelt receptacle should mount 9in captive nuts you will find hidden behind a layer of metal on the engine bay back (the bit thats at an angle from the floor) towards the top.

'90 Syncro Hightop. Ex-BUPA/Rowan ambulance with 2.0L GTI power and some curious windows.
)

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

Unless you have the really long seat belts, mounting as per the OEM mounts will be impossible.. the belt will not be long enough to get around even a child on the seat..
I did have a large strip of metal with the upper seat belt mount on it.
This isnt ideal..
Rmember you have to make sure the spreader plates are in behind the panel and that restricts where you can fit them on the side..

Might be worth checking out an early "estate" style Polo, as the rears on these are quite long.. as they mount in the C pillar and have to come a long way forward to get to the seat..

VWlewis
80-90 Mem No: 2852

Post by VWlewis »

Here are two photos of my installation in a Caravelle - the nut was already welded in place for the top anchor - you can feel the plastic plug behind the fabric (cut a cross in the fabric and use a crosshead screwdriver to remove the plug):

but the bottom one is fitted with the kit from JustKampers using a combination of bolts and plates:

The length of the JK belts is just right for child seats as they are longer. (JK Part Number J13005)

VW Lewis
VW Fan :D Learned to drive in a T2, then drove a T1, later a T4, then a T5 (and a few Audis and Passats)
Now a proud T3 Caravelle GL 2.1 DJ WBX owner: "Dora the Explorer" .. by my reckoning, a T15 Driver!
Dr T15 Speaks!

Stefvan

Post by Stefvan »

Thanks those pictures are worth a thousand words... :D

Stefvan

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

similar here But I cut a hole in the trim to feed the rear lower through rather than coming out the top does that retract through the caravelle trim? for panel van you need the top mount drilling and plate in the rear vent too.
member 1168

Stefvan

Post by Stefvan »

Here is the seatbelt fitted

poshbuggers
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by poshbuggers »

:)

Turned out nice again.

'90 Syncro Hightop. Ex-BUPA/Rowan ambulance with 2.0L GTI power and some curious windows.
)