Pulley giving up the ghost

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

nowra65
80-90 Mem No: 3172

Post by nowra65 »

help!! My '85 T25 is issuing a clattering from the engine bay. Have investigated, if you look at the engine from the rear there are three pulleys, the one in the middle, the large one which is situated lower down has been welded at some time and is now a wee bit loose, weld having given up. 1ST Q:- is this the timing pulley? 2nd Q, Will a pulley from any other dub engine fit? Down in not so sunny SE Kent it is proving a nightmare to source one, job getting urgent, off to Somerset for Christmas, so would like to get it sorted before I go, if poss, can anyone help? :cry:

kyleewyleecoyote
80-90 Mem No: 3157

Post by kyleewyleecoyote »

Hi

I have one.
I'm in sunnier Canterbury. Where are you?
It's unlucky to be superstitious....

airhead
80-90 Mem No: 2980

Post by airhead »

Its not the timing pulley, dont worry. The timing pulley is toothed. It has a different type of belt on it.
Ross

1987 1.9td Leisuredrive camper.

kyleewyleecoyote
80-90 Mem No: 3157

Post by kyleewyleecoyote »

Sorry, I assumed that you had a wbx and was refering to the crank pulley, if so I have one. What engine do you have? power steering?
It's unlucky to be superstitious....

airhead
80-90 Mem No: 2980

Post by airhead »

Well Im making the assumption that its a diesel of some sort. What engine do you have, Nowra?
Ross

1987 1.9td Leisuredrive camper.

Westy.Club.Joker
80-90 Mem No: 2863
Location: Sunny Lancs. 1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker pop-top

Post by Westy.Club.Joker »

If it`s a diesel and the bottom crank pulley is wobbly you MAY be in for some bad news. the pulley bolts to the crank timing belt sprocket, which is held on with a big bolt. They are notorious for coming loose and wobbling, eventually they get loose enough for the timimg to jump, which can wreck the head / motor. Also it ruins the key-slot in the crank that is supposed to locate it. get it checked asap, I was lucky with mine, just wore the key in the belt pulley, caught it before the timimg jumped or the crank was bad.
There is a superceded bolt to hold it on, I loctited and torqued mine up as tight as I could, needs to be around 150 ftlb, mine is F.tight now :)
Keep it real.

Search first - ask second ;>}

nowra65

Thanx to all- pulley problem hopefully sorted

Post by nowra65 »

Hey!! thanx to everyone for replying, I have found a very helpful bloke in Margate @ Kent Volkswagen, he knows what he is on about, he says what he does and does what he says, decent geezer, pulley sorted, should be in tomorrow a.m. contact details for John @Kent Volkswagen to follow tomorrow night, keep dubbin'!! Later!!! :D :wink: :D

nowra65

Post by nowra65 »

HEY HEY, as promised, here are the contact details for John @Kent Volkwagen:
www.kentvw.co.uk info@kentvw.co.uk ph. 01843 226777. You can find him at The End Garage, Upper Grove Margate,, Kent, CT9 1QT, good hunting!! :wink:
having recently become pc savvy, it's cool to know that there are some people out there willing to help, working a 72hr week(6 x 12hr nights) can severely restrict access to anything that is open during the day(sleep-please)! so as a relative newbie, getting a good vibe out of you lot, stay cool!!

Bowton Lad
80-90 Mem No: 2488

Post by Bowton Lad »

nowra65 wrote:HEY HEY, as promised, here are the contact details for John @Kent Volkwagen:
www.kentvw.co.uk info@kentvw.co.uk ph. 01843 226777. You can find him at The End Garage, Upper Grove Margate,, Kent, CT9 1QT, good hunting!! :wink:

The web link for Kent VW doesn't work. :(

Tried it twice & all I get is 'Do you mean www.kentlaw.co.uk?' :(
BOWTON LAD, CLUB 80-90 MEMBER No.2488

2013 VW PASSAT ESTATE 2.OL TDI BLUE MOTION TECHNOLOGY

nowra65

Kentvw

Post by nowra65 »

Bowtonlad,
had a look at the flier he gave me, details are correct, I have to go over and see him on Monday so i shall let him know there is something a bit squiffy with his website, cheers for the heads up. :wink:
having recently become pc savvy, it's cool to know that there are some people out there willing to help, working a 72hr week(6 x 12hr nights) can severely restrict access to anything that is open during the day(sleep-please)! so as a relative newbie, getting a good vibe out of you lot, stay cool!!

SlowWest
80-90 Mem No: 2070

Re: Thanx to all- pulley problem hopefully sorted

Post by SlowWest »

[quote="nowra65"] Hey! thanx to everyone for replying, I have found a very helpful bloke in Margate at Kent Volkswagen, he knows what he is on about, he says what he does and does what he says, decent geezer, pulley sorted, should be in tomorrow a.m. contact details for John [at] Kent Volkswagen to follow tomorrow night, keep dubbin!! [/quote]

Paid the bloke a visit to find out whether reviews are correct. Yes John certainly knows what he is doing, but it seems he is very busy and abour is £38 ex-vat so doesn't come cheap. I would highly recommend him if you have big work to be done.
2070, I think

wahvan
80-90 Mem No: 4615

Post by wahvan »

Looks like he's bought the domain name but not got the website site built. If he's looking for a website designer / developer http://www.timpeat.co.uk I'd be happy to offer it in exchange for time taking a look at my clutch.
1988 1.7D (KY) T25
Member No 4615