My 84 rusty project

For documenting and technical details of T25 restorations and major repairs
This section is for major restorations only.where to buy a panel or where to buy window rubbers belong in the bodywork seats and glass section.
Also please note,we need pictures of the restorations,without them posts are pretty useless.[\b]
Picture heavy and detailed threads , not for general banter or advertising
Traders welcome to post but not to advertise blatently
Threads will be cleaned of chit chat.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Re: My 84 rusty project

Post by boatbuilder »

Next job is to fit better front seats.
Its really hard to choose what to go for! So much choice out there.
I've narrowed it down to Audi TT heated leathers or Alfa Romeo 156 non-heated leathers.
The plan is to fit them for now and fit swivel bases to them at a later date.

Alfa 156 -

Audi TT -

Tempted to go with the Audi TT as I found one at a local breakers and can get the switches and wiring connectors for the heated seats from the car as well... seems relatively easy to wire up...

Last edited by boatbuilder on 13 Jan 2021, 15:20, edited 2 times in total.
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25
My 84 Rusty Project

boatbuilder

Post by boatbuilder »

Just testing a new way of uploading photos...

Last edited by boatbuilder on 27 Jul 2017, 01:32, edited 1 time in total.
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25
My 84 Rusty Project

mrhutch
80-90 Mem No: 2698

Post by mrhutch »

thats not your boat is it??

Lovely.
1982 Vanagon Westy Burning oil as fuel...  

boatbuilder

Post by boatbuilder »

I built it from scratch about 10 years ago.
Forced to sell it for next to nothing during the height of the recession! :(
More photos for anyone who's interested in that sort of thing....
http://boatbuilder.x10host.com/GlenLSquirt/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25
My 84 Rusty Project

boatbuilder

Post by boatbuilder »

So... this monkey in Longleat Safari Park really liked the taste of my washer fluid...Image

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25
My 84 Rusty Project

boatbuilder

Post by boatbuilder »

Spent a day in Legoland.
It's hot. Not used to sun in Ireland!Image

1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25
My 84 Rusty Project

boatbuilder

Post by boatbuilder »

Just fixed the photos in the entire thread :shock: - *yawn*
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25
My 84 Rusty Project

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

You say yawn we say yay! Thanks to everyone that goes to the same effort for the benefit of others. Ta.
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

boatbuilder wrote:Just fixed the photos in the entire thread :shock: - *yawn*

Yes, it's a ball aching job, but thanks! :)
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

JonathanR
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by JonathanR »

Ditto on thanks. The ability to see and learn or reference inspirational threads like yours is key and photofwits destruction of such valuable resource has been a very sad outcome so well done and thanks for sorting.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
1991 Auto Sleeper Trident High Top
Water Cooled 1.9 Petrol

boatbuilder

Post by boatbuilder »

Haven't updated this in a while.
I've been driving the van to work every day and just enjoying it! Got a golden retriever puppy last August and she comes to work with me moat days in the van.
As ever there are lots of little jobsvstill to do but I don't thini you'd ever be finished making improvements!
I've just fitted a new South Afrixan Hella radiator because the cheap new one that I had just wasn't up to the job.
Some of the cheap new parts are starting to fail so bit by bit I'm replacing them with OE parts. Things like ball joints, upper wishbone bushes...
I fitted a set of Thule roof bars which are great for carrying lengths of timber!

Some of the next jobs to do....
Fit a leisure battery and eberspacher d2 under rear seat.
Fit gsm controller and 7 day timer for the heater.
Fit swivel bases to the front seats.
Fit a table of some kind in the back.
Fit a dimmer to the led light in the back.
Fit 15 inch merc wheels to give better top end speed.
Replace front rubber radiator hoses (they are date stamped 10/83 so probably due fir replacement!
Sort out a few issues with the dash circuit board I made. Coolant light flashes when I bang the door or go over a bump. Headlight main beam led has stopped working.

1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25
My 84 Rusty Project

boatbuilder

Post by boatbuilder »

Hi everyone,

I'm going to go through and update all of the photos again...tedious job but might be useful for some people undertaking a similar project.

:)
David
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25
My 84 Rusty Project

george2490
80-90 Mem No: 14339

Post by george2490 »

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

2.0 CU

boatbuilder

Post by boatbuilder »

So its almost 11 years since this thread was started! We have weathered a lot of crazy world events in that time.
Not to mention photobucket throwing their toys out of the pram! I've sorted all of the photos in the thread now, thanks to postimg.cc.

The van has done its fair share of weathering as well - I've used it as a daily driver since 2017 and it has been very reliable and economical on fuel. I've done a few small upgrades and maintenance jobs along the way, but for the most part, she has been used and abused!

I found some 16 inch mercedes alloys and they have been a great upgrade. They have an offset of ET33 and this particular type of rim uses the exact same wheel nuts as the T25, so its a straight bolt-on fit. I fitted new longer studs front and rear, because the original vw studs would have been maybe 5mm too short to give full thread coverage on the nut. Tyres-wise, I have fitted 205/70/r16s and more recently on the rear 205/75/r16s because they are a more common van tyre size, so they're easier to source.

I've gone through two sets of upper wishbone bushes - the first set were cheap non branded ones from ebay. The second set were the good ones from Brickwerks. Not sure if it might be something to do with having bigger wheels, but they were wearing out after maybe a year.
I decided to go for Powerflex bushes instead. These were nice to fit but I had a problem in that the PU material was mushrooming out when tightened up. I sent some photos to Powerflex and they said it looked like a defect, so they sent out a new set. I haven't gotten round to fitting the new set yet - will see how the other ones work, but so far, the mushroomed PU hasn't caused any problems.

The rubber steering rack boots have totally cracked up and fallen apart - they were brand new in 2017.
From memory, they were a pain to fit, so this time I decided to go for more expensive silicone boots - there is a person on facebook who makes and sells them. They were so easy to fit, they're very stretchy, so they will slide on without having to remove the track rod end.

Another problem I had recently was a leaky core plug - easily fixed with a new core plug sealed with a bit of anerobic threadlocker.
I replaced all four on the side of the engine block - had to remove one of the engine mounting brackets to access the one at the end.
Last year I also had a leak from a smaller core plug that was at the rear of the engine - I had to remove the timing belt, camshaft sprocket and the black metal plate behind it, to access it.

My AEF engine has always had a slight issue with the multi-vee water pump belt.
Even though I fitted a good Gates belt - the one recommended for this engine (from a 1999 Polo), it has always seemed a bit too long and rubbed on itself, creating rubber dust in the engine bay. I've now bought a belt 5mm shorter than recommended and its
a much better fit. This photo is of the old belt, and you can see where the belt is touching..
The recommended length is 1220mm, but I found a 1215mm fitted better (part number 5PK1215 - I ftted the Dayco brand)

Last edited by boatbuilder on 08 Feb 2021, 12:28, edited 3 times in total.
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25
My 84 Rusty Project

boatbuilder

Post by boatbuilder »

I fitted an eberspacher d2 heater under the back seat along with a leisure battery (got a second-hand starter battery for a tenner).
There is a split charge relay and fuse box there as well, to power the eberspacher and the usb QC3.0 socket.

I used a turret mount plate to go through the wooden floor.
I went a bit mad with the controllers - I fitted an eberspacher timer with diagnostics (blue logo on the controller means it has diagnostics).
Also fitted a separate fully programmable 7 day timer as well. And then to top it off, I fitted a gsm "gate opener" switch, so I can switch the heater on and off with a text message. In practice, the one I use the most is the text message, although you have to buy and pay a monthly fee for a sim card.

1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25
My 84 Rusty Project