My 84 rusty project

For documenting and technical details of T25 restorations and major repairs
This section is for major restorations only.where to buy a panel or where to buy window rubbers belong in the bodywork seats and glass section.
Also please note,we need pictures of the restorations,without them posts are pretty useless.[\b]
Picture heavy and detailed threads , not for general banter or advertising
Traders welcome to post but not to advertise blatently
Threads will be cleaned of chit chat.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Re: My 84 rusty project

Post by boatbuilder »

Yes, a bit more progress...

So next on the list was fitting the Rusty Lee full width rock n roll bed.
I bolted it to the wheel arches with the supplied bolts and washers and bolted the front bit through the floor with some bolts as well.

Next, I decided to fit some Land Rover Defender mirrors. I got the standard sized mirrors from Paddock Spares and the brackets from Rowlsey on the Brickyard forum for 20 pounds. I just had to sand and paint the brackets. Then they a perfect fit.

As well as the four original VW mirror bolts, you'll need four of these unf ones to attach the brackets to the mirrors...

Back to the interior, I made a start on making the rear raised wooden platform for the bed...

I fitted the 12v led light that I found in a local shop. It had a 220 to 12v adapter, but I just cut the adapter off and connected it directly to the van with an inline fuse. I was able to reuse the inline switch that came with the light and I mounted the switch by gluing it to a piece of aluminium and made some holes for the wires to go through.

Rear platform photos...I've made the frame from 18mm red deal, in some places doubled up to provide a resting place for the lid which will be hinged.

I've been experimenting with how to fit some 3 point seat belts to the rear of the van - mine is a panel conversion so doesn't have any mounting points already there so I have bought eight square reinforcing plates to use for that. I tried fitting them in this position but soon realised that my 3 metre belts weren't long enough.

Fitting the reels on the rear pillar means that the 3 metre belts are plenty long.

I'm planning to fit some kind of hook here to keep the buckle within easy reach.

These are the type of reinforcing plates I used....

This photo from Gowesty gave me the idea....

And this from the Securon website confirms that this kind of reel setup is ok...

So I've also been making some side panels from 4mm plywood. I don't have any old ones to draw around, so I made some paper templates from Wall lining paper that I got from Tesco. Its a good thick paper so it works well for making templates.

I went on a trip to Ikea and came back with a 200cm x 160cm foam mattress which is almost a perfect fit for the van.
I cut it into three pieces with a very sharp knife. Its the "Moshult" Ikea mattress which is 4 inches thick so it suits the Rusty Lee bed.

Some of the side panels covered with 3mm scrim foam glued on with high temp spray glue...

And a mock up of fabric ideas for the side panels....

I was originally going to put coffee bags on all of the panels, but it just didn't look right - It was just too much, so I've covered most of the panels in the stretch carpet instead and put coffee sacks on the smaller panels which I think looks better and adds some character.

I was also going to use the original VW hidden plastic clips to hold the panels on, but they only work with a very thin fabric or vinyl on the wooden cards, so I think I will use self drilling screws and plastic screw caps instead.

Next job is to take everything out again and put insulation behind the panels....

I've bought a roll of this stuff which a lot of people recommend as it doesn't hold water and get damp like fibreglass or rockwool does...

Last edited by boatbuilder on 27 Jul 2017, 01:28, edited 1 time in total.
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25
My 84 Rusty Project

boatbuilder

Post by boatbuilder »

I'm getting a lot of engine intake noise coming into the van despite a few layers of flashing tape on the rear pillars inside and out.
So I think I need to do some more work in this area as its pretty deafening when you're sitting in the back.

I've already replaced the original corrugated cardboard tube with the silicon one from brickwerks.

One of the little rubber mounts is broken so I have set about renewing those.
The rubber mounts are screwed into rivnuts which are totally rusted solid so theres no way they will unscrew easily.
I cut some access holes from the top so that I can just use some normal nuts on the new mounts.
I had to hacksaw the mounts off and then file down the collar of the rivnuts from underneath before they popped out.

After a suggestion from Colinthefox about putting a layer of conveyor belt rubber inside the rear pillar to deaden and block the noise, I've found some rubber horse matting that I'm going to use.
Its really heavy stuff so hopefully it will do something! Its hard work but you can cut it to shape with a sharp knife.

I had to cut it into two peices to get it in through the vent...

Its quite thick so I'm going to try planing it down a bit with an electric wood planer to make sure it doesn't rub on the oval snorkel tube. The idea is to have a heavy mass there to block the sound.

A bit tricky getting it in here, even when its cut in two pieces. I'm planning to secure it in place with some beads of PU sealant and some stainless bolts and washers.
On the inside of the van, I'll put some 8mm foam and bubble foil, covered with stretch carpet.

Last edited by boatbuilder on 27 Jul 2017, 01:29, edited 1 time in total.
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25
My 84 Rusty Project

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Post by mshaw1980 »

Really impressive stuff! My van is not as bad as your was but I am still way behind where you are :-)
Question for you regarding the rear arch panel. I noticed that you tack welded the strip that was welded to the inner arch swage line of the full panel UNDERNEATH the inner arch rather than on top and tack welding it inside the van. Is that the way its done or were you thinking water was less likely to get in that way??

Also, when you welded the top of the tall rear arch panel on using stitch welds did you then fill with a sealer before putting filler on or did you just fill it??

This is my first attempt at doing big body panels so want to get it right :-)

Cheers
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

boatbuilder

Post by boatbuilder »

Hi mshaw,

For the rear arch panel, I did it that was because if you put the strip on top, you can't get proper access from inside the van to tack weld it the whole way along.
After its tack welded, you fill the gap with lots of tigerseal from both sides to make it waterproof.

Along the top edge, no I didn't seal it first - I mixed normal filler and P40 fibreglass 50/50 and used that for the first skim coat (the idea being that normal filler isn't waterproof, but P40 fibreglass is), pushing it into the seam a bit, then went over that with normal filler.
I would recommend UPOL Fantastic. Use an old cd to smooth it off to get the curve right.
Then remember to seal the seam from the inside of the van with tigerseal.

Best of luck with yours!
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25
My 84 Rusty Project

boatbuilder

Post by boatbuilder »

So, a lot has happened in the past few weeks.
I got the rear pillar soundproofing done and put new rubber mounts on the plastic airbox.
Also put a layer of foam on the inside of the van all the way up the pillar. It has made a big difference to the engine noise in the van, so its definitely worth doing.

I used stainless nuts, bolts and washers to hold the rubber matting in place, also a bit of pu sealant for good measure!

I fitted some of these to the dash - I wired up a switch beside them so I can turn the power on and off as needed.
While I was doing some wiring, I fitted a Parrot sound system as well and put both the parrot and the radio on another switch so they can be powered on and off independent of the ignition.

I fitted the rubber backed carpet to the front cab area - glued to the vertical surfaces and the three horizontal mats are removeable.

Then I got the sewing machine out and sewed up covers for the foam for the rear seat/bed.

Then two Sundays ago I heard about an airshow in Westport which is over on the west coast of Ireland.
So we decided to go for it and head over for the following weekend and camp for a couple of nights over there.
The week leading up to that first trip was hectic to say the least. First I got the insurance paid, then I booked the van in for the DOE test.
I had to also get a VW main dealer to inspect it and fill out all sorts of forms to certify that the engine had been changed etc.

I fitted the rear seatbelts with reinforcing plates behind the mount points - mine is a panel conversion so there were no existing mount points there.
Then I fitted all of the silent gliss curtain track and the curtains. I held them in along the bottom with stretchy white curtain wire from Tesco.

The morning of the test arrived and I remembered that I hadn't put actual coolant into the system, only water. So I drainged the water and refilled with the proper stuff.
I drove to the test centre which was about 40 minutes away - the furthest distance the van had driven in about ten years!
Everything went to plan and it passed the test with no problems at all. The tester was going around shaking his head after he inspected everything because he couldn't belive it was in such good condition!

So off we went to Westport, well loaded up with camping stuff and an air awning that we borrowed from a local fellow T25 owner.

1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25
My 84 Rusty Project

mrhutch
80-90 Mem No: 2698

Post by mrhutch »

:ok

whats your opinion on the AEF now then chap?
1982 Vanagon Westy Burning oil as fuel...  

boatbuilder

Post by boatbuilder »

Pretty impresssed with the AEF. She never missed a beat the whole way. I could just about keep up with traffic at 100km/hr.
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25
My 84 Rusty Project

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Post by bigbadbob76 »

Great to see it all come together BB.
Your hard work has finally been rewarded. :D
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

dogbreath100
80-90 Mem No: 6251

Post by dogbreath100 »

Well done ,delighted it's up and running.
Well worth the blood ,sweat , and tears . :ok
1984 1.9 diesel1y

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

I've been watching this one with interest BB

A thorough job. Well done :ok
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

mrhutch
80-90 Mem No: 2698

Post by mrhutch »

agreed. :ok
1982 Vanagon Westy Burning oil as fuel...  

boatbuilder

Post by boatbuilder »

So I took the van to work a couple of days ago- I'd been messing around with the speedometer the night before because it was reading the totally wrong speed.
Anyhow, I hadn't reconnected the dash gauges yet.
So on the way home from work, after driving about 4 miles, I saw a massive cloud of white steam in the rear view mirror.
I stopped straight away and opened the engine hatch to the sound of very loud hissing and steam spraying everywhere.
A coolant hose had split just beside the hose clamp. I thought I could get away with reusing this hose as it didn't have any cracks in it, but obviously I was wrong!
So it took six litres of coolant to top it back up and I cut the end off the hose at the split and reattached it. I think the pipe had already been cut back before so it must have developed a similar split in the past.
New silicone hose is on its way from Brickwerks....

1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25
My 84 Rusty Project

conor2469
80-90 Mem No: 14305

Post by conor2469 »

Unlucky about the hose bursting. This van looks amazing, really is a credit to you. The finish on the inside is brilliant too. I hope you get to put lots of miles up over the summer. 8)

al*mk1
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by al*mk1 »

Just looked through your entire thread... amazing work and dedication.

:ok
'83 Mk1 Golf 1.8 Gti
'88 T25 2.1i WBX Auto

boatbuilder

Post by boatbuilder »

Thanks all, still a work in progress...
A bit more fettling with the rear platform...

https://youtu.be/VSKbRCkchcg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25
My 84 Rusty Project