Rusty roof chop

For documenting and technical details of T25 restorations and major repairs
This section is for major restorations only.where to buy a panel or where to buy window rubbers belong in the bodywork seats and glass section.
Also please note,we need pictures of the restorations,without them posts are pretty useless.[\b]
Picture heavy and detailed threads , not for general banter or advertising
Traders welcome to post but not to advertise blatently
Threads will be cleaned of chit chat.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mike.g
80-90 Mem No: 0

Rusty roof chop

Post by mike.g »

About 3 years ago we bought a hightop camper so we could get out there with our little one.
However, it became apparent quite quickly that we had an ingress of water.
As a result the interior was removed and the whole floor and sills were found to be completely shot and the floors were completely removed and replaced - three weeks of pretty much constant hard graft!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

It became apparent that much of the problem was linked to the roof but at the time I couldn’t find a complete LHD roof. I needed a complete roof as all the A, B, C and D pillars on mine were showing signs of corrosion damage at the top.
As a short term remedy, the roof was lagged in sealant and I made a interior up for us and off we went camping....

ImageImageImageImageImage

mike.g

Re: Rusty roof chop

Post by mike.g »

Fast forward 3 years and it got to the point that I really needed to get on with the roof but after constantly looking, I just couldn’t find a LHD van.
In light of that, I realised that I’d have to use a RHD van and deal with all the door opening issues as and when they appeared.
Luckily I found locally a window bus that had been buggered around with but, the top half was ok!
ImageImage

With a new roof ready, I got down to taking the old roof off.
For those of you with a sensitive nature or, owners of high tops, please look away now......

ImageImageImageImage

With the roof off it was time to start cutting and after a good couple of days measuring and working out how to sort out the sliding door issue, the cutting started!

ImageImageImage

One thing I did note is that it’s probably not a good idea to use expanding foam as a means of insulation.....

This is the Case pillar which standing water can be seen in. The foam has sealed all means of drainage and has almost certainly added to the issues found on the van?

mike.g

Post by mike.g »

At this point, I started pondering my options. As I had a blank canvas, I could do pretty well much anything I wanted........
Over the 3 years, we’ve gained an awning and a stand alone tent so although we use the van for camping, it didn’t necessarily need to be a camper. Also I’m really keen to turn the van into my daily driver so, I need it to be practical - 5 seats and load/storage space.

This got me thinking about my old double cab, I loved it and it was so versatile but, since I last had one, the prices have rocketed!

At this time, I came to the only ‘sensible’ solution!!
I would just build my own double cab but, I’d have the benefit of having a larger rear seating area and with a clever bit of welding, I’d be able to utilise my sliding door?

So, it seemed the only thing to do was cut the rear third off and then drop it on my van and see how it looked......

ImageImage

mike.g

Post by mike.g »

It fitted well first time and the fixed window which is cut out of the RHD van would fit perfectly on the opposite side and most importantly, the sliding door upper roller assembly fitted first time!

I’m just about to start tacking up the roof and checking everything is spot on and then it will be finally welded in and then I can concentrate on a bulkhead and the the load floor and also sorting out the sliding door centre track.

Loads of work still to do but, I’m quite pleased with how things are going.

I’m also just staring to look at what bulkheads are available that I can utilise. I’ve seen a T6 one and a Sprinter one advertised fairly locally so I’m going to have a look and measure up and see if one of them will be suitable.

Fugeh

Post by Fugeh »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
88 Autosleeper Trident 1.9
Hythe, Kent.

syncropatrick
80-90 Mem No: 5294

Post by syncropatrick »

mike.g wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 10:17 I’m also just staring to look at what bulkheads are available that I can utilise. I’ve seen a T6 one and a Sprinter one advertised fairly locally so I’m going to have a look and measure up and see if one of them will be suitable.
I know of a T25 B pillar full internal bulkhead with small window, coming out of use. No idea if it'd work as an external bulkhead positioned not at B pillar.

Campervan Dehler Profi hightop Syncro 16” AGG

mike.g

Post by mike.g »

I can probably make it work but, where are you?
I’m in West Cornwall........

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Post by Dazco »

Bleedin hell. :ok
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

syncropatrick

Post by syncropatrick »

mike.g wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 11:53 I can probably make it work but, where are you?

It’s not mine. On east coast. I’ve pointed owner at this thread, so you should hear from him.

syncropatrick

Post by syncropatrick »

syncropatrick wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 12:10
mike.g wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 11:53 I can probably make it work but, where are you?

It’s not mine. On east coast. I’ve pointed owner at this thread, so you should hear from him.
Sorry, it’s already taken.

mike.g

Post by mike.g »

Not a problem. Thanks for trying!

rollercoaster
80-90 Mem No: 6231

Post by rollercoaster »

I am so impressed!
thinking outside the box!
Live as if you were to die tomorrow
Learn as if you were to live forever

Syncro Danbury 2.0 petrol AGG

mike.g

Post by mike.g »

Busy day today!
The plan was to get the roof welded on and try and sort out all the internal faffing around and use the offside window from the RHD van for the nearside on my van. I thought it would be straightforward but, it’s turned out to be the most problematic part - I didn’t think that they could be so different!

ImageImageImageImage

Finally got there and then it was time to try and replace everything that I had cut off before I came up with my ‘brilliant’ plan of having a double cab with a sliding door! So, all the roller panel work which could have been left in situ with better planning had to all be welded back into positive, this dig into my time a little as I wasn’t that careful when removing as it was my original plan to bring the roof from the donor van down this far, however, it worked out ok.

ImageImage

And, although there is still absolutely loads of welding to do, I have a double cab with a functioning sliding door!

mike.g

Post by mike.g »

ImageImage

The sides wind be that high, I’ve just left plenty of spare metal while I work out a way to cap them tidily and allow for a frame to be fitted/fabricated for a canvas roof?

I hopefully also pick up a Sprinter bulkhead with sliding window tomorrow which can hopefully be modified to work. Then I just need to work out extending the load floor up to it and making it all look tidy!

pkrboo
80-90 Mem No: 17060

Post by pkrboo »

This will be interesting to see, the other two I have seen that have been done looked a bit crap in my opinion. But I think that was more down to the finishing or lack there of.

Good luck!!

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

1.6 CS Diesel DOKA