Project Phoebe - a diary and some advice seeking

For documenting and technical details of T25 restorations and major repairs
This section is for major restorations only.where to buy a panel or where to buy window rubbers belong in the bodywork seats and glass section.
Also please note,we need pictures of the restorations,without them posts are pretty useless.[\b]
Picture heavy and detailed threads , not for general banter or advertising
Traders welcome to post but not to advertise blatently
Threads will be cleaned of chit chat.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

oli8925
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Project Phoebe - a diary and some advice seeking

Post by oli8925 »

This afternoon spent on the chassis rail repair

Started with this, plus a bit underneath the smaller hole to the right of the picture.

Cut out and patches welded in

Dressed and splattered with the end of my last can of weld through primer. Waiting on some more weld through and epoxy to arrive in the post.

On a side note, has anyone remade this section, if so how did you do it? Looks fun!

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

If you buy an original style rear wheel arch section you will see it extends inwards and will give a better idea of how it all goes together.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

adie89
80-90 Mem No: 11532

Post by adie89 »

There’s some decent pics of how that inner arch goes together in my procrastination thread.

Good effort, keep at it. I would stop cutting though and just fix one area before cutting the next out. When you cut the b and c pillars you will need to brace internally to stop them flexing outwards.
Greta: 85’ LHD 2.5L Subaru 14in Syncro
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=165773

Mrs8925

Post by Mrs8925 »

Thanks Adie!

Started on the cupboards today. Yet to decide on what finish we're going to settle on but started taking off the vinyl wrap. Very therapeutic with a bit of sunshine to boot!Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Post by Dazco »

Any more progress been made on this restoration.
Think its the same conversion as mine, well the pop up roof looks the same .
Be nice to know how it's coming along.
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

Mrs8925

Post by Mrs8925 »

Nothing at the moment I'm afraid. One of our other cars has taken priority for now but we'll be back on Phoebe soon as we can

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Post by mshaw1980 »

Oh my word. Just looked through your restoration thread. Sending good luck.
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Post by Dazco »

I thought the bodywork on mine was bad until I saw yours. You've taken on a real project there, stick with it and as others have said try and get one bit sorted at a time, otherwise it can all get a bit overwhelming.
Once its done you'll love getting out in her.
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

Mrs8925

Post by Mrs8925 »

Sooo, we're back. Nothing has been done to Phoebe since the last post apart from trying and testing different things 'cause her engine wouldn't start but all sorted now.

With any luck though, we'll now start making steady progress on her rebuild. She's now provisionally booked into the body shop in February for all welding and a respray which is a huge weight off so we need to finish stripping the rest of her and get on with any other jobs we can get on with in the hope that we can start refitting her interior as soon as she's home.

For today, i started small and removed the door cards. Anyone had any success flattening a warped door card...? ImageImageImage

oli8925

Post by oli8925 »

We've been beavering away with bits and bobs in our spare minutes over the last month or so. Interior mostly stripped out so that we can work out wiring (cabinets loosely in to work out positioning of components)

Carpets up and found some more rusty bits

Dash out

Defunct alarm system out and to be replaced

Heater box came out, motor replaced and just trying to work out if we replace the heater matrix while it's out and what with. Surface rust ground back, treated with Hydrate 80, epoxy primed and overcoated with white primer ready for some pastel white

I made a pin switch bracket for the front grille to protect the siren from attack. The bulkhead needs a patch welding in where the original siren mounting had rusted and split the bulkhead, I can then mount up a few additions we're making and strip the whole lot out to be de-rusted and painted.

Big wiring and component order about to go in for van additions and the leisure system too, so hopefully a fair bit of development in the coming weeks