Carravelle Restoration and trident restoration

For documenting and technical details of T25 restorations and major repairs
This section is for major restorations only.where to buy a panel or where to buy window rubbers belong in the bodywork seats and glass section.
Also please note,we need pictures of the restorations,without them posts are pretty useless.[\b]
Picture heavy and detailed threads , not for general banter or advertising
Traders welcome to post but not to advertise blatently
Threads will be cleaned of chit chat.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mushky
80-90 Mem No: 0

Carravelle Restoration and trident restoration

Post by mushky »

Hello ,
Having gained a great deal of information from this site I thought it time to introduce myself and my 2 t25s.
I've owned maintained a vast amount of VW's and audis since the early 90s from golf MK1 gti to a Corrado G60.
I started of with bay window campers which you could get back then for £500 with an MOT,restored my first camper in 1993 and hand coach painted it .I'm a fabricator /mechanical engineer by trade ,metalwork and ( air-cooled and diesel) engines I am competant with.So wanting to relive my youth I bought a 1988 carravelle with the intention of converting it to a full blown pop top camper,cut the bottom 6" off the usual places ,welded in 3mm plate for strength replaced virtually everything that could be unbolted , striped my beloved daily transport MOTd 1994 MK3 golf for its 1 y engine and stuck the KKK turbo on it .I started the resto on the mud drive in the rain ,built a propped drive and stuck a 6 m by 3 m tent on it .
I will try to upload the pictures of the tent in the winds of April 2015 .02:00 in the morning sawing wood roping ratchet strapping ,on the grand scale of stress this ranked quite highly!!
Van finished ( they never are really) may 2015, hand painted even though I have spray gear ,because it will be used and abused ( I had a concourse bay which I restored and became neurotic about parking it within 500 meters of other cars ,buildings ,weather .........) Anyway we took him France and as he ran well decided to carry on to Belgium ,Holland Germany, Switzerland,and italy . Got back ,decided that the single IKEA storage unit did not make a luxury camper and decided to buy a high top ( didn't want to chop the velle about) .I am fairly computer illiterate so forgive me if I upload pictures of no relevance whatsoever.lance
Attachments
20150517_192721.jpg
20150517_192721.jpg (63.52 KiB) Viewed 3160 times
20150331_185951.jpg
20150331_185951.jpg (66.48 KiB) Viewed 3160 times
20141130_100050.jpg
20141130_100050.jpg (107.02 KiB) Viewed 3160 times

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Re: Carravelle Restoration and trident restoration

Post by DoubleOSeven »

One post in 3 years, that's impressive in itself! ;) Welcome and thanks for the random photos of bits of vans and makeshift sheds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic

mushky

Post by mushky »

Yes they are random, struggled with photobucket and closed account.second picture shows the extreme reinforcement needed if working in tent/ glorified gazebo when there's a storm .I will endeavour to show more pictures of both vans .
The autosleeper trident 1990 runs an mtdi ahu engine which I know is old hat now, but is fantastic on hills with amazing economy.The carravelle 1y turbo revs,great top end with AAP box but overgeared for Welsh hills.I think I may have posted in the wrong section,but I think this is the 3rd post I have written on a computer in 49 years :) .

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

Your computer skills match my maintenance skills. It hasn't stopped me and it shouldn't stop you, so keep it up, we'll both get there in the end! :ok
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

mushky

Post by mushky »

RogerT wrote:Your computer skills match my maintenance skills. It hasn't stopped me and it shouldn't stop you, so keep it up, we'll both get there in the end! :ok
Some more test photos ,yet again random .I'm trying to use Tapatalk, will work it out eventually.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

mushky

Post by mushky »

Yes Tapatalk works.will upload pictures of trident autosleeper with the usual autosleeper / T25 rot spots when back off your of UK.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk