My T25 restoration

For documenting and technical details of T25 restorations and major repairs
This section is for major restorations only.where to buy a panel or where to buy window rubbers belong in the bodywork seats and glass section.
Also please note,we need pictures of the restorations,without them posts are pretty useless.[\b]
Picture heavy and detailed threads , not for general banter or advertising
Traders welcome to post but not to advertise blatently
Threads will be cleaned of chit chat.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Re: My T25 restoration

Post by mshaw1980 »

AndreasDahl wrote:Wow! awesome work!

This bus will live on :D :D
Thanks pal...and welcome :ok
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

mshaw1980

Post by mshaw1980 »

So the front before some rustoleum. As mentioned in a previous post I will replace the front panel under the grill next year. Just want to get the thing through the manx MOT so we can use it this summer:
ImageGetting closer now by Mark Shaw, on Flickr

Then the first full coat of rustoleum on 'most' of the van. A bit orange peely but will be flatted back before the second coat. Looks pretty good. What do you reckon??

I said 'most' of the van just above. Having to deal with this bit now:

Need to replace part of the tailgate seal channel and patch where the expansion tank flap goes and then I can rustoleum away :-)
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

mshaw1980

Post by mshaw1980 »

Was getting sick of bodywork so before I do the rear valance and tailgate seal channel I decided to do some interior work. So first a fusebox for the leisure battery (Still need to feed the power cable from under the passenger seat battery box to the fusebox but will do that later this week..
ImageWe shall have light....and a comfortable interior, well, the start of :-) by Mark Shaw, on Flickr
Wiring fed from the fusebox along the roof where the interior lighting wires run and then into this ready for LEDS. You will note that there are two wires coming out of the new fusebox. This is because I want the four lights to be on two switches so my good lady can turn her light out and I can leave mine on and read.
ImageWe shall have light....and a comfortable interior, well, the start of :-) by Mark Shaw, on Flickr
Wiring for the switches was fed down to behind the rear quarters...
And then the exciting part, screwing the newly carpeted panel to the wooden framework after connecting up the LEDS.
You can probably see small gaps between the panel and the rool rail on the passenger and driver side. I will carpet some wooden batten and then use this like a gap concealer so should still look quite neat.

Cant wait to get sticking with the carpet on the walls and ceiling now along with making the new interior panels out of thin plywood. Its very satisfying putting on newly carpeted panels, covering all the cold steel and making it more homely :-)

mshaw1980

Post by mshaw1980 »

So got round to doing some sound deadening / insulation...

ImageBefore and after sound deadening and insulation for the floor by Mark Shaw, on Flickr

ImageBefore and after sound deadening and insulation for the floor by Mark Shaw, on Flickr

As well as trial fitting the petrol heater in situ before I bolt in the full width rock n roll bed

mshaw1980

Post by mshaw1980 »

Got excited then started fitting the windows with the new seals from Schofields. Also had the tool but as I had not done one before it took AGES even with my good lady's help. Did the other a few days later and it took less than half an hour. Quite a satisfying job ...

The kids gave me their seal of approval...

But then I realised I was missing something, doh...

ImageIn my eagerness had forgotten to weld on the sliding rail cover retaining bracket by Mark Shaw, on Flickr

Smcknighty
80-90 Mem No: 14436

Post by Smcknighty »

Ha! Always something :) the rustoleum looks good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smcknighty
80-90 Mem No: 14436

Post by Smcknighty »

Was the interior white before or did you rustoleum it as well?

mshaw1980

Post by mshaw1980 »

Smcknighty wrote:Was the interior white before or did you rustoleum it as well?

Interior was white but will mostly be covered by thin ply panels I made covered in megavanmats stretchy carpet.

The rustoleum is great but I made a mistake on the front. Painting it with the garage door open with the sun beati g down on it and it went very orange peely. Bit of sanding back to do.

mshaw1980

Post by mshaw1980 »

Ant-t wrote:Nice roof, makes me think about my bus mmmm :wink:

Just realised I had accidentally deleted the part about the pop top roof I got from space roofs. Looks really well. Will get a picture up top added tomorrow.

Wasn't too hard to fit but a bit nerve racking cutting a hole in the roof. Although this is nothing compared to the bodywork I did after fitting this roof. Word of advice if fitting your own, don't do as space roofs suggested fitting rivnuts with spanners. Get a rivnut tool. Quicker and much easier.

ImageVan by Mark Shaw, on Flickr
Last edited by mshaw1980 on 10 Dec 2018, 12:23, edited 1 time in total.

mshaw1980

Post by mshaw1980 »

I had a go at carpeting the walls with the stretchy carpet. Some of my joins are not amazing but it looks good enough. The upholstery of the seat cushions is courtesy of my clever mother in law. She is going to make us some curtains out of the remaining material from the rock n roll bed cushions so nearly actually ready to camp but I need pitch black to sleep so may need to get some of those foil window covers too. Currently don't have any speakers so no radio yet and need to stop the wind noise of the luggage rack above the drivers cab wind seems to get underneath it and at certain times it seems to shake at the front.

SEKN410
80-90 Mem No: 11033

Post by SEKN410 »

Hi mshaw , just been through your restoration posts as we are about to embark on one ourselves. Congratulations on your van ,looked like you have been really thorough and got a great result. Van looking good. I wouldn’t have a clue where to start and don’t possess the skills anyway so it’s a body shop for us. Quotes have varied dramatically but one we are interested in is for the work and any panels required on top.what was the rough cost of all the panels you bought and had fabricated, if you don’t mind me asking. Just trying to get a worse case price in mind before we give the go ahead. Ps our van is called Norman really like your number plate :D Thanks Eugene + Tracy. Sekn410

mshaw1980

Post by mshaw1980 »

Hi Eugene and Tracy

Glad the post I have done is helping a bit. Unfortunately these vans can be absolute money pits. I dread to think what I have spent. Will have a guess.
Subaru engine and rjes conversion parts: £2600
Body panels: £800
Roof £2500
Van £3300
Brakes and suspension £400-£500
Camperbed £350
Petrol heater £300
Interior costs £200
Numerous other misc costs.
This was before my hundreds of hours of work.
I would estimate though that all the bodywork I did would have cost at least £4000 in labour and my van was not too bad.

As you can see it is not cheap on putying them right. Could have got a decent T4 for that money but I like that they are bigger inside and the 80,s ness of it. Love old school quirky stuff and restoring things even though a few times I wished I hadnt bought it. Love it now though :-)

SEKN410

Post by SEKN410 »

Thanks for reply, we’ve had our van for around 7 years and are happy with engine 1.6td Jx. Slow and under powered hates hills. Reliable enough 3 breakdowns in that time 1 in France 2 in north wales. Underneath and brakes all good. Had seats ,door cards and bed recovered by a.j retrims in Dudley ,great job by a top bloke. Partially re carpet lined and replaced worktops. Love the van and can’t imagine being without him so it’s just trying to work out what’s best to do next. Go with the bloke who says if he takes the job would only do so using new panels because he doesn’t want his name on anything that’s not a top job at who knows what cost or try and get a cheaper job that may or may not last. Decision would be so much easier to make if a preset price could be agreed but with such an unknown amount of work and rust we fully understand. Thanks again for your post and reply it’s given as a good insight.will keep an eye out for your van on the road when I visit for the TT. Cheers Eugene

mshaw1980

Post by mshaw1980 »

Ah if you are about for tt then give me a message and you can come to us for a cuppa. We live in peel with unrestricted views of peel bay / castle so be nice to sit out in the evening.

SEKN410

Post by SEKN410 »

Ok cool. Think we arrive Wednesday of practice week and return Tuesday of race week. Usually take a ride over to peel for peel day for a few hours. Hopefully catch you around. Cheers Eugene :ok