1986 syncro Caravelle twin slider

For documenting and technical details of T25 restorations and major repairs
This section is for major restorations only.where to buy a panel or where to buy window rubbers belong in the bodywork seats and glass section.
Also please note,we need pictures of the restorations,without them posts are pretty useless.[\b]
Picture heavy and detailed threads , not for general banter or advertising
Traders welcome to post but not to advertise blatently
Threads will be cleaned of chit chat.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

1986 syncro Caravelle twin slider

Post by silverbullet »

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 0#p8151576" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A brief overview:

Something a little different. Not a camper conversion, but a full body restoration to be used as a WBX 2500 demonstrator and R&D vehicle for 025Motorsport with my own Oettinger 2500E engine fitted. It will get BIG vinyl graphics as well as period ==syncro 4x4== side stripes and 7x15" ARC alloys and all-weather road tyres and standard spec suspension, plus some interior mods to enable it to work as a crew bus/Kombi. No pretensions to offroading, strictly an all-seasons van.

*let's not forget some multi-layer security measures*

Aidan did the transaxle about 10,000k ago, it's still fresh and taut. I did the VC and galvanized all the running gear and re-bushed it all, repaired the front chassis legs and swingarm mounts, but following the events of 2015 I had really lost momentum and it was in danger of getting worse faster than I could repair it!

More news once it starts happening for real, but to give you some idea of what is likely to happen, here is some of what I said to the restorer:

I reckon that it needs both sides doing to the same extent: front arches inc. steps, lower B posts, front outriggers etc, outer sills &, rear wings and lower quarters. Both sliders need new bottoms. It won't be a keyhole surgery approach! Front lower grille panel also needs the usual. Windscreen aperture is bound to have holes.

Panels in hand so far:
A pair of good sliders, nearside is a panel one (shame to cut it) plus another rhs 'velle one with dents; a perfect tailgate; two genuine rear arches (one is SA), salvaged nearside rear wing (I will pick it apart, the arch is poor)
The rest to come via Brickwerks

:shock:

DSM
80-90 Mem No: 1274

Re: 1986 syncro Caravelle twin slider

Post by DSM »

Pleased you are sticking with it. :ok

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

The current state of play:
http://s1103.photobucket.com/user/IanHo ... 6%20syncro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am in too deep Duncan, without this squared away the supercharged bus project cannot move forward.

DSM
80-90 Mem No: 1274

Post by DSM »

I know the feeling well. My fair condition low milage van quickly became beyond my abilities when I started digging into all the usual hidden areas. Luckily there is a first class restorer close by who has helped me with the seemingly endless list of all things Syncro that need doing. Not too far to go now but it will have been 3 years of highs and lows coupled to way more money than sensible but as you say there is a point reached when there is no going back. I just have an irrational love of old VW vans and after 40+ years I'm still not cured. Looking forward to seeing this 2.5 on the road.

Now all we need is a beefy transaxle and we're :idea: done.

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

I dare say that Weddle or Albins will have something for syncros soon enough.

Looks like this fine example will be headed to the restorer in November, he has done a few desperately bad ones so I think his estimate of the hours involved should be not too far off the mark. More on that subject later...

In the meantime, I will continue removing Caravelle sound deadening clag with a sonic tool and getting it driveable again i.e. on 4 wheels and under power, before stripping out the trim and hauling it off my drive at long last!

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Well its still here but not for long. Took the opportunity to prep the shell for full factory air-conditioning​ and it now moves under its own power again.
The Weber'd 2.1 SS will make way for the Oettinger 2.5 on Digijet, which is now part rebuilt (its been a long time coming) but currently waiting for the cam timing to be sorted out with a new vernier adaptor.
It has gained some Bilstein B6's all round and the suspension is all galvanized or plated and fully rebushed.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

I should also say that I have plans to improve the bodyshell stiffness and these ideas will be incorporated into the restoration work. More of a resto-mod really.

bluebus1987
80-90 Mem No: 15052

Post by bluebus1987 »

I'll be very interested in seeing the stiffening mods Ian. I know they all did it from new, but it's quite alarming seeing your door gaps shifting when you jack it up. Are you keeping the bulkhead?

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Too right the bulkhead is staying! It is alarming how much they move and shuffle even with the doors shut. Being a twin slider I think there is a lot of room for improvement for a small weight penalty. Hoping to improve the rear spring turret area too (the subject of a fairly long-running samba thread)

The old girl has got to Gary Wilkie now, I have left him to make a few value judgements as to what stays or is saveable and what will go, but I think that two rear wings are on the cards from the channel down, along with the usual front valance & deform upper, cab steps, B posts, sills etc.

I want all VW panels if we can possibly get them, full gauge and the swage lines are more likely to line up without too much work...

bluebus1987
80-90 Mem No: 15052

Post by bluebus1987 »

I don't think you'll regret using all Vw panels. Apart fom arch's,' my experience says most other stuff is shoddy. Having things that fit will save time and therefore money. Does a syncro have any sort of crossmember between the two front outriggers (b post). I've always thought that's a bit of a weak spot.

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Nothing transverse between the front outriggers, but the subframe is substantial and bridges the inner chassis rails. It's the lack of cross-sectional area (and hence torsional resistance) inbetween the B and C posts that I hope to address :wink:

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Surgery has begun in Garys capable hands, a pallet of panels including two full rear wings going into the mix, using the best we could get, whilst still available.ImageImageImageImageImage

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Gary is continuing the good work, pics are slow to arrive (he has broadband problems)ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Needless to say, this one will be getting wheel arch liners!

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Another piece of the puzzle in the bag: finally collected a beautiful condition pair of SA Microbus bumpers at the weekend :)