Brilliant Orange Project, bodywork advice

For documenting and technical details of T25 restorations and major repairs
This section is for major restorations only.where to buy a panel or where to buy window rubbers belong in the bodywork seats and glass section.
Also please note,we need pictures of the restorations,without them posts are pretty useless.[\b]
Picture heavy and detailed threads , not for general banter or advertising
Traders welcome to post but not to advertise blatently
Threads will be cleaned of chit chat.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Re: Brilliant Orange Project, bodywork advice

Post by 937carrera »

11 months on and I have been able to return to my project camper.

I continued working on the rear battery box and decided that I would remove the front section as well, preserving the upper tabs in place. Progress so far today

Top left tab exposed, battery box metal remains above

View from the wheelarch to the tail light

What I cut out today

And a first trial fit for the replacement panel

Are the (fillet ? ) pieces available that go vertically from the wing to the battery box or do I just have to make one from sheet steel.

Similarly, for the horizontal surface.

I did remove the rear light unit to look at the other side, it seems there should be a horizontal piece, but as this has already been "repaired" (it looks OK from the inner wheelarch / underside) I don't know what the correct construction should be. The orange is the inside of the sliding door as the rear wheelarch has holes in it after a tickle from the grinder.

Looks like I now have both battery boxes to do, but the left hand side will wait until the wheelarch etc has been removed. Much easier access.
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

The vertical fillet is the lower part of the d pillar, just make your own. AH Schofield make the horizontal panel to join the corner panel and the horizontal part of the inner rear corner, Brickwerks stock them as filler panels. Page 2 of repair panels section.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

PM sent
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Some further progress today, thought I would post it while the tool batteries are recharging (cuppa for me too)

I thought the battery box was fixed to the tabs by a couple of little plug type welds, which I had drilled out. In the process of removing the rest of the old metal I discovered that there are also some well disguised spot welds

One on the outer side - not particularly visible, ot's between the drilled hole and the hole I am in the middle of drilling for a second plug weld

and two on the inner side. One has been drilled out at this point, getting ready to do number two which is to the left of the hole.

By the looks of it I have been a bit enthusiastic removing some of the old battery box (and the outer tab) so will need to make some small pieces to connect to what remains of the old flange to the new metal. I now know that the intention is that the repair piece is supposed to be butt/seam welded to the original piece. Something else learnt today ..... I think :)

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

I finished removing the old metal from the inner tab and clamped the repair panel in place.

View from the rear

View from the wheelarch

Underside from the wheelarch to the rear valance

I'm parking this for now as I need to source the additional repair fillets. I could also need some advice as to the best method to remove the light rust on the inside of the existing panels and the surrounding body parts which you can see in the picture above. It is abrasion with grinder / flapper disc / finger file, chemical with some sort of rust converter or something else ?

Next post will be the next challenge :)

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Here's a picture of the drivers B post & jacking point which I attacked with a cutting disc some time ago.

I already have the repair jacking point from Alan Schofield, but I think the first thing I need to do is cut out the patch that has already been welded in as I doubt it is of the correct thickness. It wasn't on the sills which had already rusted through at the repair point and has already done so on the crossmember. :(

I believe there should be a number of layers of metal in this area to create the necessary strength and they need to be done in the right order.

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Already attacked it and got most of the duff metal off, I'll continue tomorrow. I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad that the previous repair didn't extend to grinding the welds down.

I went looking for my jacking point repair piece and couldn't find it :shock: :cry:

So I then decided to unwrap the new sills that came from Schofields and have been in their wrapping ever since they arrived. :D Not only were they in there, but they were already attached to the new sills.

Oooh nice shiny metal, so it looks like I'm attempting the sill repair now, which probably also means fitting the new lower body panel that goes between the B post and the wheelarch. More shiny metal, so I need to decide where to start wielding the cutting disc and how the lower panel will be attached. :?

Getting into some meaty work now

multisi

Post by multisi »

The lower part of the inner B post has rusted away, that's where all the strength comes from in that area, you need to do something with that if you are going to use a jack in the future.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

multisi wrote:The lower part of the inner B post has rusted away, that's where all the strength comes from in that area, you need to do something with that if you are going to use a jack in the future.

I was planning on cutting out the existing patch and butt welding in a new vertical piece into place before fitting the new sill.

Does that sound like a plan ?

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

After beginning to understand how the various parts stitch together I have decided to remove the sill to provide better access.

This is the starting point, now, where are all those spot welds hiding :?:

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Drilled two out but I'm finding it difficult to locate the welds so decided to remove part of the inner sill, cut through the mounting face and then I'll try and work my way along, finding the spet welds as I go.

Not too keen on the condition of the outer floor now I can see it. :roll:

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

Wire brush on a drill or on a grinder takes off just enough to let the welds show up.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

100leelee
80-90 Mem No: 15962

Post by 100leelee »

RogerT wrote:Wire brush on a drill or on a grinder takes off just enough to let the welds show up.

Was a struggle for me. I cut the inner sill, leaving the mounting face still spot welded to the floor. Then used an 8mm drill bit to find the first weld, then peeled back the strip of inner sill with pliers, this then highlighted the next weld. Was quickest way of doing it.

The B posts on mine were not so bad. Luckily could reuse the main strengthened piece, the piece with a fork like end through which the jack would pass. Lots of pieces to make up on the b pillar, unless you buy a complete new one..

I always tried to leave solid steel in situ. Make sure it's steel though. Mine had far too much filler/under seal which I removed..

Try to do one area at a time, or at least I thought that best..

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Interesting, that was what I decided to do but I have probably left too much metal on the vertical face to be able to peel the strip back for now.

I'll try the wire brush method tomorrow, but having used the fingerfile to remove the black slap I might have removed my ability to find the evidence. So I have a plan A and a plan B.

Looking further back along the sill, it seems I shall be forced into removing the trailing arm to fit the complete sill. Correct ?

multisi

Post by multisi »

Have you opened up the area above the rear jacking point ? If your b post is bad then the rear jacking is most likely to be as well. Hats off to you for this resto, most people would have run away screaming !