Time to tidy my van.

For documenting and technical details of T25 restorations and major repairs
This section is for major restorations only.where to buy a panel or where to buy window rubbers belong in the bodywork seats and glass section.
Also please note,we need pictures of the restorations,without them posts are pretty useless.[\b]
Picture heavy and detailed threads , not for general banter or advertising
Traders welcome to post but not to advertise blatently
Threads will be cleaned of chit chat.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

DibDub
80-90 Mem No: 11951

Re: Time to tidy my van.

Post by DibDub »

Great job you've done with your restoration project.
Looks like you have put a ton of work in, worthwhile and satisfying in the end, I would imagine :ok
1989 1.9 watercooled HighTop T25

JD123
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by JD123 »

awesome work! :ok

Woodyyellow
80-90 Mem No: 11769

Post by Woodyyellow »

Thread “wake-up time”.
Its been such a long time since I added to this thread, yes I’m still here though work on the van has slowed to a mere crawl!
Some members on here will know of my situation, a very brief update for those that don’t;
My wife was diagnosed with Cancer at the end 2007, following a major operation and Chemotherapy during 2008, she made what we hoped was a full recovery. However in 2015 the Cancer had returned, another operation and Chemotherapy followed and all was well again. However, 2017 was a very poor year, with 7 stays in hospital, another major operation followed by ongoing Chemotherapy now into the 5th cycle of 6, she seems to be holding her own. With all this going on and me trying to run the home and family life, sadly the camper van was not touched last year or indeed up to now!
I’m hopeful now of doing some work to the van in the not too far future. I have been reading all the information that has been posted on the forum by all members, a big thank you for giving me something to read and keep me going. A big thank you to all the staff at Derriford Hospital who have been fantastic in their professionalism and care.
As for the van, with time to think and read I have made the decision to swop the engine out of the van. I originally thought of going for the GTi engine but fate gave me the opportunity for a Subaru ej20. 5 weeks ago I collected a low mileage engine, 77K with good service history. The breaker extracted the loom fully for me so I have a matching engine and loom. Some parts he had already sold, so I have no air filter system, something to source, but other than that I’m very pleased.
I intend to replace all the oil seals and cam belt, fully prepping the engine for fitting. The old WBX engine will be out soon and sold on to help pay for the conversion. I think I have managed to locate a rebuilt gearbox, fingers crossed for that, so that just leaves all the other refurbish work to do! Watch this space!

ImageIMG_1493 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr
As brought home

ImageIMG_1505 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr
Time for a quick inspection.

I will be replacing all the photos on the preceding pages soon with Flickr ones to help keep the thread useful.

E D I T: now photo bucket has reversed its decision on charging for photo use, I can leave them as is!

Until next time.
Last edited by Woodyyellow on 14 Jun 2018, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.
1987 1.9 WBX DG Hi-Top. Soon to be Subaru ej20

I'm an old guy but I still learn new stuff!

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Post by mshaw1980 »

Sorry to hear about your wife's health struggles mate. Welcome back and God bless :)
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

Aye, this forum serves all kind of purposes. I’m always sorry to hear of others troubles but it’s a reminder that we all have so much other life going on in the background. This forum’s courtesy and helpfulness goes a long way, even when we aren’t contributing actively. Welcome back.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

Woodyyellow

Post by Woodyyellow »

Thanks for the comments.
Well I did say I’m continuing at a crawl! Removed the sump to do my own shortening. Lots of conflicting advice on the internet but it seems that as long as I don’t go racing round 4G bends it should be fine. As the van is eventually going to be used by family members at times, the thought of smashing the sump on a speed bump or reversing into a high curb, I calculate that this is a risk worth taking!
I’m going to remove 1.5 inches which seems to be the standard amount to do and weld on a 4mm thick steel plate. Need to consider where to place the sump plug later.
Simple line drawing at correct height.
ImageIMG_1594 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr
Then confirm with masking tape.
ImageIMG_1597 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr
Looks a bit wonky but thats just the camera angle. Next stage to cut off with angle grinder.
Looks like a previous owner of the Impreza managed to ding the sump!
ImageIMG_1598 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr
Have also managed to clean up the alternator a bit
ImageIMG_1596 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

Until next time.

Woodyyellow

Post by Woodyyellow »

Managed another hour or so this afternoon,
Clamped the oil pan to a board so I could hold it securely in the vice, then cut round with my angle grinder
ImageIMG_1599 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr
Cut was quite easy to do
ImageIMG_1600 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1602 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

Then I checked for a good flat surface

ImageIMG_1603 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1605 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

Simple ‘bucket chemistry’ gives a loss of 500 ml, so not too bad at all.

ImageIMG_1606 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

Until next time.

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

Glad to see the rebuild continuing Woody & all the very best to your wife mate.
'86 DG, Weber Carb

Woodyyellow

Post by Woodyyellow »

Managed to spend a bit more time on the oil pan.

This shows the temporary base board I used. Two main holes for oil pickup pipe and return oil pipe.

ImageIMG_1609 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

Prior to welding the base, I did a final check that the oil pick up pipe was the correct length, and didn’t reach the bottom. I have about 6mm of clearance, the same as original.

ImageIMG_1612 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

By screwing the oil pan down to this board I was able to easily hold it in the vice whilst welding the base, also I think it helped prevent the pan from warping from the welding heat.

ImageIMG_1617 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

I welded the seam in stages, spacing the welds apart to prevent overheating in one area to eliminate stresses and warping.

ImageIMG_1620 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

The oil drain thread was removed from the cut off oil pan and welded back into a suitable area.

ImageIMG_1613 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1619 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

The final test was to fill it with white spirits to check for pin holes, yes I found 2 but easy to re weld. Rather find them now rather that after installation!

The oil pickup pipe was shortened by 40mm. The tube was 20 OD so I was able to sleeve it with a short length of 22mm copper water pipe - 20mm internal - then silver soldered it into place.

ImageIMG_1610 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

Again by using he base board I was able to align the filter head parallel to it whist soldering it.

ImageIMG_1614 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

The finished oil pickup, painted with engine enamel.

ImageIMG_1621 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

All done, very pleased with finished pan.

ImageIMG_1626 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

Until next time.

Woodyyellow

Post by Woodyyellow »

Managed to spend some time on the engine over the week end. Removed the inlet manifold and all associated parts; fuel rail, fuel injectors, coil pack and leads and throttle body.

ImageIMG_1657 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

Dismantled all components being very careful to photograph the process, make a written list of the order in which I removed parts and bagged them up in separate bags.

ImageIMG_1686 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

Now starts the cleaning and inspection of all parts. First off, the manifold itself. After a good scrub and clean a fresh coat of high temp engine enamel and I now have this

ImageIMG_1711 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1712 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

Until next time

Woodyyellow

Post by Woodyyellow »

Today I managed to get the old engine/gearbox out of the van.

ImageIMG_1762 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

Not very keen on axle stands when doing a job like this for the first time, so preferred to raise the van on concrete blocks.

ImageIMG_1764 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

With a suitable gantry and engine pulley system to take the weight, I worked around the engine disconnecting all wires and connections.

ImageIMG_1759 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1758 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1757 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1756 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

I was quite amazed at the state of some of the jubilee clips and connectors - not surprising when you realise the van is 30 or so years old and some of these fastenings would still be the original.

ImageIMG_1755 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1754 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

With every thing disconnected it was quite an easy task to gently lower it to the pallet placed underneath and then slide it out.

ImageIMG_1760 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1761 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

With it now sitting safely on its pallet, I will be able to remove the ancillary components ready for resale. The engine was/is in a very good mechanical state not giving me any problems so would be suitable for an overhaul and reuse in an other van.

I will need to recoup some money from this engine and the spares I have collected to continue funding the Subaru project.

Until next time

Woodyyellow

Post by Woodyyellow »

Well, I’ve managed some more time on the van.
Spent some considerable time cleaning the old engine ready for sale, removed all the ancillary components then used engine cleaner and power washer to give it a very good clean. I remembered to close off all essential openings with blanking plates and plugs.
ImageIMG_1845 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

Then I was able to turn my attention to the empty engine bay. Again, removal of all unnecessary items, a thorough clean and then paint. I’ve found that the Rustoleum yellow that I’m using doesn’t like covering the original blue of the van so I undercoat with a white first. Two coats of yellow and I’m pleased with the results.
ImageIMG_1860 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1861 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

Next I turned to the rear wheel arches and trailing arms. This hot dry weather we’ve been having have made sure everything is bone dry. A good wire brushing followed by blowing out the dust has left a good clean surface ready to paint.

ImageIMG_1866 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1867 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

I’ve also managed to paint the new engine support bar.

ImageIMG_1870 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

Until next time

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Post by mshaw1980 »

Nice. Wish I had painted my engine bar now
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

Gonna be a pretty one!
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

Woodyyellow

Post by Woodyyellow »

Today I tackled the forward engine bulkhead area. Firstly removed the factory fit sound deadening material, held in place with 4 spring wire frames.

ImageIMG_1873 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

Not bad for 30 years I suppose? I intend to replace with a modern equivalent.
Swept, wire brushed, vactan treated - in fact it was not bad at all - then coat of black paint.

ImageIMG_1874 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1875 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1876 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

Just got the fiddly bits to do around the various pipes and tubes.

Until next time.