Time to tidy my van.

For documenting and technical details of T25 restorations and major repairs
This section is for major restorations only.where to buy a panel or where to buy window rubbers belong in the bodywork seats and glass section.
Also please note,we need pictures of the restorations,without them posts are pretty useless.[\b]
Picture heavy and detailed threads , not for general banter or advertising
Traders welcome to post but not to advertise blatently
Threads will be cleaned of chit chat.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Woodyyellow
80-90 Mem No: 11769

Re: Time to tidy my van.

Post by Woodyyellow »

Managed some engine time this weekend. I turned the engine over to clean the underside, so now all clean. Whilst upside-down I trial fitted the engine mounting bar and the bell housing to check the fit and to see what they look like.

ImageIMG_2017 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

This photo shows the relationship between the engine bar and the shortened sump.

ImageIMG_2018 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

This view shows just how low / high the sump is in relation to the hanger bar.

ImageIMG_2019 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

Very pleased with progress, even though its a little slow!

Until next time
1987 1.9 WBX DG Hi-Top. Soon to be Subaru ej20

I'm an old guy but I still learn new stuff!

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

What type of clutch slave bracket is that ?
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

Post by scottbott »

first time seeing this post, very good, it is going to look real nice
Nil carborundum illegitimi

Woodyyellow

Post by Woodyyellow »

multisi wrote:What type of clutch slave bracket is that ?

It is a RJES clutch bracket that I bought at the same time as the bell housing.
It will need a coat of paint to give it full protection.
Cheers

multisi

Post by multisi »

Have you got the rjes turbo bellhousing set up on the na ej 20.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Woodyyellow

Post by Woodyyellow »

Have you spotted something wrong :?:
I bought the bell housing with clutch arm ready fitted secondhand. It was a unused change of direction project item and the seller assured me it was suitable for a na engine. I believe the housing itself is the same, just the clutch operating arm being different. Can you, or anyone else post a picture or two of a na clutch so I can compare the difference. I still have the clutch parts from my original bell housing that I believe fit and work if I have read the available information correct?

multisi

Post by multisi »

The clutch slave bracket will have to be changed for a petrol vw slave bracket, has the clutch arm been fully welded around the 2 arms, that needs doing if it hasn't. Have you got the rjes clutch bearing adapter ?

Woodyyellow

Post by Woodyyellow »

Thanks for the information. I will have to go and check and see whats there, but that will probably be tomorrow now.
Thanks again.
:ok

Woodyyellow

Post by Woodyyellow »

multisi wrote:The clutch slave bracket will have to be changed for a petrol vw slave bracket, has the clutch arm been fully welded around the 2 arms, that needs doing if it hasn't. Have you got the rjes clutch bearing adapter ?

Do you know what I like about this forum, there are soooo many really helpful members on here with such a lot of knowledge and helpful advice. Its like having your own personal knowledge advisor looking over your shoulder helping you as you work. Keep up the good advice.

Thanks 'multisi" for pointing out details about the clutch arm. Had a very good look at what I've got and it does indeed look like the clutch arm is one for a turbo unit, a pull clutch arm not a push arm. So I will have to remove the old one from my gearbox and refurbish that to use. I will fully weld around the two clutch arms to give full strength, I have read on the web about this so know whats needed there. Not quite sure about the "clutch bearing adapter" that you mention? I have a manual engine flywheel for the Subaru, a Subaru clutch pressure plate, and a vw clutch plate. A clutch bearing was with the clutch parts but it does look different to the vw one on my gearbox. I will get a photo of them both side by side so you can see what I've got. Thanks again.

multisi

Post by multisi »

Its the rjes slave cylinder bracket that is wrong, you need a vw petrol version. If the bearing you have is for turbo and is new I would be interested in buying that. You will need to put an order in to RJES and get the standard bellhousing kit parts- bearing adapter and the crescent shaped clutch plate shims.

Woodyyellow

Post by Woodyyellow »

So these are the two bearings I’ve got; the original vw one from my van on the right, the new one for the conversion on the left.

ImageIMG_2030 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2031 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

The original one is quite a loose fit on the tube fitted into the bell housing, the new one fits well.

multisi

Post by multisi »

The one on the left is for turbo bellhousing set up, how much do you want for it ? Maybe the Subaru clutch plate is a heavy duty type , are there any numbers/markings on it to identify. The turbo heavy duty clutch needs a lot of leg pressure whereas the standard set up is a lot lighter to operate.

Woodyyellow

Post by Woodyyellow »

Hi multisi
have sent you a pm.

Woodyyellow

Post by Woodyyellow »

Little bit of an update, slow progress but getting there;

After “multisi” pointed out my potential problem with the clutch operating shaft and bracket I’ve managed to sort it I hope!

Firstly needed to take off the slave cylinder bracket from the old bell housing.

ImageIMG_2049 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

The operating arm was ceased to the shaft. I tried release fluid, gentle heat and gentle tapping all to no avail. My main concern was not to damage any of the surrounding parts. Because the shaft has some sideways movement I had to be very careful not to ‘bottom’ out the shaft which would potentially cause damage to the bell housing. I tried holding the shaft in place with a large screwdriver and cold chisel to prevent movement but didn’t like it and it didn’t work.

ImageIMG_2045 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

I bought a small two arm extractor but that had insufficient grip under the arm so didn’t work either, it kept slipping off.

ImageIMG_2050 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

In the end I had to use my last option, cut through the shaft to remove it.

ImageIMG_2061 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2076 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

As the shaft is one that is not welded all around I would have had to do that so buying a new fully welded one is not such a bad thing. After all that, I have at least managed remove the slave cylinder bracket, it just needs cleaning up and painting.

ImageIMG_2077 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

Until next time

multisi

Post by multisi »

You almost had that off, I done one this week - remove outer circlip, slide inner circlip up shaft then pull the shaft out of its end socket in the bellhousing enough to put a thick piece of plywood across the socket , then tap the slave arm in so more of the rusty shaft end is exposed, clean off the rust including the splined section. Then put a chisel or something between the slave arm and the bracket and tap the end of the clutch shaft so the slave arm comes back out again, keep doing this process lots of times and it comes off , use an old bolt as a punch when you hit the end of the shaft to prevent the edges being burred over.