The GASWAGON (act III)

For documenting and technical details of T25 restorations and major repairs
This section is for major restorations only.where to buy a panel or where to buy window rubbers belong in the bodywork seats and glass section.
Also please note,we need pictures of the restorations,without them posts are pretty useless.[\b]
Picture heavy and detailed threads , not for general banter or advertising
Traders welcome to post but not to advertise blatently
Threads will be cleaned of chit chat.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Re: The GASWAGON (act III)

Post by lloydy »

Gentleman jack... i need some of that after seeing all this rust! :lol:
Trailing arm off then eh? I liken this van to a onion, so many layers! At least the arm will come off easy, seeing as its only just gone on.
Bloody rust eh! This was meant to be a rust free syncro! :rollin
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

metalmick8y wrote:next to position the front of the inner sill correctly, the rear is easy but the front only has thin air as a reference so

measure the rear
then place the front after doing the same

Is it worth making jigs for things like this, or would they need so much tickling on a van-by-van basis that it wouldn't be worth it?
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paul_Van_Denton
80-90 Mem No: 12447

Post by Paul_Van_Denton »

mmnmmmmm Gentleman jack! spent many a night with him! also....

1982 Panel Van, 2.2 scoob, Porsche 996 brakes, Air ride probably never coming soon!

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

That's my sort of bribe lol
mm

Paul_Van_Denton

;) E D I T...

If we talking bribes than hands down its this!

1982 Panel Van, 2.2 scoob, Porsche 996 brakes, Air ride probably never coming soon!

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Fine just bring a bottle when your here :ok

Paul_Van_Denton

will do!

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

lloydy wrote: Bloody rust eh! This was meant to be a rust free syncro! :rollin

it will become one though..mine still is where mm's been
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well putting back nice new steel ,always a pleasure
assemblage
new jp welded up and fitted,i cant fold this gauge of steel with a very tight 90' so easier to fabricate
note how it sits in relation to the cut out in the inner sill.
i have puddled through the 2 x 12mm holes for good grab :lol: and tacked it down the sides, and at the bottom its seamed to the inner sill,so now all the forces are transmitted vertically up the B post as they should be,
brace is now off as its served its purpose, this is why i braze this sort of thing as it only needs a bit of heat and its off ,instead of cutting and grinding etc
and now a coat of WT
other side, at the bottom I have done 2 full beads of weld so it is stronger than needs and will do no harm
now the kit of parts at the rear
you will see there is an extra bit, i have masde a further brace above the jp, its something that i suppose doesnt need to be there but will do no harm and well ive done it so its staying.....
i think this bit is self explanatory, any way this plate has also been puddled through to the inner bits i have added
normally this part extends down to the bottom of the inner sill lip where the outer fits , but this is cos its easier for vw to spot it, I think its better done this way and is certainly strong enough, and will save having to relieve the outer sill as i do in the past.if there is no advantage then i go back to the previous way
and with a coat of WT .
so at the rear i have the outer shell of the C post to knock up and same at the front and then extend the outrigger to fit and tie it all in
mm :D

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

Looking good! Guess I'll have to start using these jacking points now you've put all this work into them :lol:

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

AdrianC wrote:
metalmick8y wrote:next to position the front of the inner sill correctly, the rear is easy but the front only has thin air as a reference so

measure the rear
then place the front after doing the same

Is it worth making jigs for things like this, or would they need so much tickling on a van-by-van basis that it wouldn't be worth it?
not worth it as its hard to get a reference that would apply to all, so as long as you know where to take the measurements from then its not so bad,
i do have jig for the rear arm mount though as thats rather critical :lol:
mm

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well,just a quick pick of the inner sill showing the penetration,
modified a lower B post to fit
no need to fit any more
this is the repair piece for the main outrigger and is in 2mm plate,it has a fold at the top and replicates the OE
also a good picky of the inner support for the JP
here you can see a small bit i have added to the inner part of the B post, ignore the shape as it will be formed later,main thing is to have it joined now as i cant get to it later, also note how it is sandwiched between the chassis outrigger lip and what will become the rest of the outer B post , all will become apparent :lol:
here i have spotted it through to the inner sill and tacked it to the rest of the outrigger
i will square the lip off neatly etc when its all welded.
this is the top lip of the chassis outrigger and also forms the base for the rear of the arch/batterybox back, then the floor closure plates fit over this
this is the inside rear of the outer B post, just a small part to make and weld in
a quick whip over with the disc, it needs a bit more tapping around and i will add some weld to the sides to then remove so we have zero filler :D
the large lip to the rear will be mostly removed and will look nice and tidy when the remainder of the closures are made and added.
nice way to spend the afternoon

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

was the outer B post not as good as you first thought then? Looks like you had to muck around with bottom part of it?
(the crescent shaped cut out for jack)

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well. yes it did need work sort of in a way, the scalloped out bit is yet to be welded.
so we start with this hole

and make this bit to fit it
and
sat in place
to me its important to fit stuff like this also it really adds to the strength and integrity of the jp area, also dont forget that the outer sill etc fit to it
front bit added, this is part of the inner arch and open to the elements
on a previous picky you could see a small dip where the lower joined the upper part of the outer b post skin, this imperfection was just into the seam area ,so i have added a bit of weld to each side and sanded it off,so will be able to avoid filler with luck
will just need to mig a few bits tomoz
this is the small part that sits on top of the outrigger and is part of the rear of the battery box
will post this up now and do the rear in 5 minutes

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

back
sort of self explanatory
error here as i made the lip with the 3 holes in too wide :roll:
again migging to do but need a new argosheild :(
gound over
so a nice little bit to make :lol:
and
a quick tidy with a disc
and
roughly in place
a quick touch with a soft pad and a coat of WD
and
again it doesnt have to be done like this but the next picks show the sill roughly in place and again it compliments the fit of the sill and also the floor closure plates fit in here so may as well do it right
like that
so just a small strip along the arm mount to affix the wing to and were about there with it so a most enjoyable afternoon :D
mm