The GASWAGON (act III)

For documenting and technical details of T25 restorations and major repairs
This section is for major restorations only.where to buy a panel or where to buy window rubbers belong in the bodywork seats and glass section.
Also please note,we need pictures of the restorations,without them posts are pretty useless.[\b]
Picture heavy and detailed threads , not for general banter or advertising
Traders welcome to post but not to advertise blatently
Threads will be cleaned of chit chat.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Re: The GASWAGON (act III)

Post by Plasticman »

Well.. oh the alignment will be fine (you just had it done anyhows) i believe the impact was absorbed by the extraneous steelwork and missed the pick up points, will inspect further as its picked apart .but it looks on the face of it that they split the front of the defo panal(that the bummper mounts to) from its counterpart then removed the N/S rearfrom the join they made just past centre, i would suspect that a s/hand curt was added and a s/hand fronnt part of the defo panal, nothing realy wrong with this but it does lack a bit of neatness, all will no doubt be revealed. good fun it is
now we shall start with the front screen, ive just cut the seal off to see the extent of the rust and note it was painted twice with the screen still in
other side
suprising how much still has to be stripped to get to a stage to work on anyhows other door off and shelled for now
now this step is as far as i can see original,the seam is rusty and i will be doinbg away with the holes so i figure i will remake it,always a pleasant little job :lol:
now we are starting a list of bits that may be needed its not very large......................yet but
1 pair of J seals
set of clips for the same
gaskets for the cab door handles
and the lock actuator
im assuming it doesnt work though it wasnt connected ??
now the 1/4 light frame has parted :shock:
but it is in good enough order that i can repair it fine,and it is a gen vw one so worth doing
will post this up and i have one more picky in a minuter
mm

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

well.this is the os door,
will confirm later but looks like it was a new door in primer and painted blue,note where the paint missed ,there are other areas too, yet the damage side (N/S) the door always was blue so maybe they sourced one or it wasnt damaged much , soon see but the plot thickens
mm

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

That actuator is a bit dodgy, the c/locking would randomly lock/unlock with that one connected. I've got one on my Brickwerks shopping list (T4 one with the adapter loom) I'll send it up with other bits and pieces.
Just let me know when you need bits, pm me a list or something with preferred place of purchace :D
Those windscreen pics made me laugh, I've had that windscreen out and didn't see any rust :lol:
Be good if that 1/4 light can be fixed :ok
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

metalmick8y wrote:well.this is the os door,

will confirm later but looks like it was a new door in primer and painted blue,note where the paint missed ,there are other areas too, yet the damage side (N/S) the door always was blue so maybe they sourced one or it wasnt damaged much , soon see but the plot thickens
mm
That's a Odd one.. Genuine door?

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

well will inspect further but.......its grey primer type finnish and metal under it,no other colour cept the blue as you can see. so at some point it will have had a new VW door :shock: :D
mm

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

Hhmm, maybe some rich eccentric guy bought the highest spec van from vw and used it as a dodgem, or just didn't believe in brakes?..would explain the dents in the rear bumper :lol:

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

thought that was you :rofl
will go check the status of the gas tank tomoz
just had a big bowl of icecream !!!!!well it was on offer
mm

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

He he, I just had a tub of Ben&jerry!

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

ah but thats posh southern s'cream though i doid have mine on
hmm thread drift again...................... :lol:
mm

Dave307
80-90 Mem No: 10742

Post by Dave307 »

Watching and waiting........
Dave.

1986 watercooled 1.9DG

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well ,, decisions were made today,there comes a point when the standard and condition of stuff warrants its removal and doing right , now this raises other issues, earlier Elvis mentioned "touching" very gently, well this
is your donor :D so now you will be related to Kev :rofl cos he has the front roof section on his and also Clare as the mallyV has the lower screen inner, b it like the closeness of a traveler family this..
but the defo part is very good so its being cut off with the leg front as we speak and i pick it up tomoz
os lower front panal
note its original , now
ah, this is an aftermarket one, note the height, so its been joined which we showed earlier
and here it is
what they did is to weld a patch on the rear of the existing part and then sit the new one up to it and tack it
anyway its off,heres a tell tale where they used a slitting disc
there is a slight delve left in here
which confirms a lower N/S/front corner bump,an odd one this as the damage does at this stasger seem to habve been confined to the lower area, perhaps a concrete bollard or such??
so
a nose job maybe :?: :D
its had a bit of joining
the join is just off centre
so now this to unpick :lol:
i do them this way so i can understand whats happened and what to look out for thats hiding ,also makes it easier to remove the rear area as shown peice by peice, and prep to receive kev and clares offspring :rofl
mm

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

now that's interesting... :ok :ok

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

Awesome! Very interesting to see all that cut up. Kinda surreal seeing though, like its not really happening :lol:
I remember that donor, it's certainly sacrificed a few panels! I'll definitely feel a kinship to Kev and Mally :lol:
Nose job, hhmmmm....... Don't get my mind thinking on that! :run

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

did you add the washers behind the ns rad mount to get clearance for the cooler?
just that we need to look at a more permanent neater method is all , are you sticking with this or going air/air cooling/ i cant recall., i know sparkys is air/air courtesy of tim but it cant be done that way on the syncro , just seem easier and less complicated etc :oops: I.ll go...............
mm

trucker
80-90 Mem No: 8980

Post by trucker »

I love these threads 8)
I remember this
Image :pimp :pimp
Last edited by trucker on 14 Jan 2014, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.
Quit ad modum panis tosti