Syncropendence Booking Form. BOOKING NOW CLOSED

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Syncropendence Booking Form. BOOKING NOW CLOSED

Post by HarryMann »

We are still planning to hold Syncropendence over the Late August Bank Holiday Weekend, from Friday 27th onwards. As usual those wishing to stay local may camp at £5/night on the Monday and possibly throughout week in the same lovely place we use for SP.

Upon receiving your booking and details, we will send an email confirming your booking and total cost. However, we will not collect this money until closer to the event when we are more certain of all the conditions pertaining to the event.
Local rules will apply and we may need to ask or confirm vaccination status of adults.

We need to know quite firm numbers for our MSA Licence so please either complete the form or ask any questions by PM or email. Booking closes at midnight on 22nd August 2021.

The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Re: Syncropendence - Provisional Booking Form

Post by syncroandy »

Thanks for organizing this event and for putting up the booking form.

However, I've noted there is a section on the form requiring covid vaccination status, and some 'fine print' near the bottom, stating 'the club reserves the right to refuse entry with regards to Covid19 vaccination status'.

That is rather unclear but I will infer the meaning to be '**the un-vaccinated will be denied entry**'.

This really troubles me, as AFAIK there is no basis in UK law to do this, nor does any of the guidance I've seen from the MSA require it. The only guidance from the UK government requiring vaccination is in certain very specific high-risk settings, and that is not even in force yet.

For an outdoor motorsport event of this nature, requiring participants to be vaccinated seems completely disproportionate. All the MSA guidance suggests is that partcipants are asked to stay away if they have symptoms. That seems the best pragmatic approach, after all, even those who've been vaccinated can still catch and transmit the virus, so it provides no guarantees really. 

Those who are fortunate to be living in this land, benefit greatly, whether they realise or not, from many freedoms, for which generations have fought hard.

We do not have to routinely show ID cards to state representatives, we may educate our children as we wish, without state interference, we are not subject to compulsory medical procedures by the state, such as vaccination.  These are freedoms which I and many others cherish dearly.

What really concerns me with the response to covid, is that some of these freedoms will be thoughtlessly and needlessly given up.

Of course as a sensible chap I think getting vaccinated is the right thing to do, but I absolutely stand by peoples freedom to make their own choice without unwarranted compulsion.

I wish to request the Syncronauts club please reconsider this requirement for the meeting.

(Edited to correct small typos.)
Last edited by syncroandy on 04 Aug 2021, 16:19, edited 3 times in total.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

It's a private event, and so it's for the organisers to decide what reasonable non-discriminatory precautions they take in order to minimise the risks they perceive for those attending. Obviously we can have a debate about whether the perceived level of risk is correct, and whether we agree that it justifies the precautions put in place, but at the end of the day the organisers have a right to choose who they let in.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

syncroandy
Trader

Post by syncroandy »

This 'private event' idea doesn't stand up, most public spaces such as shops and so on are privately owned, and whether they're in public or private hands they are all subject to UK legislation. For example you might want to look at Section 29 of the Equality Act.

I am fine with 'non-discriminatory' precautions, my point is that threatening to deny entry to the un-vaccinated is quite the opposite !

Anyway I did take the time to go over the current MSA guidance documents and there's nothing in there to require vaccination, this event is supposed to be run according to MSA rules.

Syncrosport

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

Splurt
80-90 Mem No: 9694

Post by Splurt »

I appreciate the right to personal freedom but you have to take ownership of your choices and accept that there will be consequences. Especially if that choice poses a risk to other people.

I do not envy the organisers responsibility.  I would rather the event not happen at all than for somebody to end up in hospital.

So rather than get into a pointless debate, who wants to think outside of the box and come up with some possible solutions?

Proof of negative PCR test prior to entry if un-vacinated?  Method required to gain entry to Ireland if un-vaccinated.

Coloured badges to indicate vaccination status, green - double jabbed, yellow - single jab, red - none!  No badge, no entry.  A novel idea but it would keep awareness up so that social distancing and hand hygiene are at the forefront of peoples minds.  

Ryan

89 - 1.8T AGU - SA Syncro - Hightop Camper 

'I love my brick'
Fr Jack Hackett

syncroandy
Trader

Post by syncroandy »

Splurt wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 18:37 I appreciate the right to personal freedom but you have to take ownership of your choices and accept that there will be consequences. Especially if that choice poses a risk to other people.

..so long as there is a legal basis, so for example, I understand health care workers will be required to be vaccinated. If that is the law then so be it.

If folk face threats of 'consequences' in other circumstances, I think that would be highly undesirable, and could be unlawful.

I do not envy the organisers responsibility.  I would rather the event not happen at all than for somebody to end up in hospital.

My reading of the MSA guidance suggests the organisers responsibility could be quite minimal really, there is certainly no expectation that they will enforce any sort of mandatory medical status checking. Quite rightly so, as I suspect there would be little or no legal basis for this.

So rather than get into a pointless debate, who wants to think outside of the box and come up with some possible solutions?

It's not pointless to me, and I hope others. The solution is to follow the guidance, no more, no less.

Proof of negative PCR test prior to entry if un-vacinated?  Method required to gain entry to Ireland if un-vaccinated.

Coloured badges to indicate vaccination status, green - double jabbed, yellow - single jab, red - none!  No badge, no entry.  A novel idea but it would keep awareness up so that social distancing and hand hygiene are at the forefront of peoples minds.  

Surely you jest ? That would be hellish world to live in.

Anyway putting aside the principle that concerns me, in practice, given that 70-80+ percent of adults are fully vaccinated already, and given the demographic of Syncro owners quite possibly nudging 100% of event participants, I suspect 'the organisers' may be trying to use a sledgehammer to crack a nut. I really cannot understand why they think this is a good idea.
Syncrosport

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

All we’re trying to do is to have the chance to protect those who are vulnerable or clinically vulnerable... as well as have a chance to protect all those who want to come.
It would be unlikely that anyone not vaccinated is denied entry.
But it helps organisers protect those that are known to be vulnerable and fulfill our Duty of Care.
Obviously we need to be informed if anyone has symptoms or has recently had COVID (10 days)

We will have plenty of LFT kits if anyone experiences symptoms before or after arriving and masks will be required for car sharing outside your or friend bubble.
Welsh regulations will apply.
It’s an outside event BUT of course some inadvertent close contact is often inevitable as well as the possible need to car/van share by arrangement.

For the moment though, we’ve taken down the booking form, and a bit upset this has been made public when we’re in the throes of a private discussion which required consideration of ALL the facts rather than a quick jerk response.

Syncronaut No. 1

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

PS. Feel free to go onto the ICO and read the GDPR that’s relevant much of which is not straightforward....
Don’t think Andy’s quite right about shops and perhaps it’s Andy taking a sledgehammer to a situation with many subtle nuances!
In short we can’t pretend there isn’t a dangerous pandemic still there, young people are being hospitalised still and very fit middle agers are still dying. So unprecedented isn’t a stretch of the imagination

And of course we wouldn’t be retaining this information. We do have clinically vulnerable attendees and some will have vulnerable relatives back home

We’re trying to re-assure those attending. as well as fulfill a meaningful Riak Assessment

Syncronaut No. 1

Splurt
80-90 Mem No: 9694

Post by Splurt »

Thank you for all your hard work.  Fingers, toes, legs and arms crossed that it can actually go ahead!
Ryan

89 - 1.8T AGU - SA Syncro - Hightop Camper 

'I love my brick'
Fr Jack Hackett

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

The booking form is live again. It will be open for another week or so before we close bookings. Booking closes at midnight on 22nd August 2021.

Syncronaut No. 1

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

Thanks Clive & Jenny for all your efforts.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

jamiegolf
80-90 Mem No: 17083

Re: Syncropendence Booking Form. NB booking closes 22nd August 2021

Post by jamiegolf »

so....
just had a call from aidan regarding this, hadnt realised it was going ahead, not been on the forum for a while what with work and kids and race cars to sort!!

a few questions if i may,

i would be bringing the syncro to play in, but would also bring the westy to camp in,
do i need to book the syncro as a participating vehicle and the westy as a non participating vehicle?

as the westy will just be sat in the campsite during the day?

what is the cost of the membership?

many thanks

T3 westfalia 2.2 Subaru powered
T3 Syncro caravelle gl 1.9 tdi
T3 Foster and day coachbuild 2.0 Subaru powered
Mk1 jetta 4motion tfsi

Www.jsgarageaberystwyth.co.uk

JennyTyger

Re: Syncropendence Booking Form. NB booking closes 22nd August 2021

Post by JennyTyger »

Jamie you just need to book for a participating vehicle, membership is £10 and this will be added to the entrance fee.
Jenny
Member: 379

every decoding is another encoding

syncroandy
Trader

Re: Syncropendence Booking Form. NB BOOKING CLOSES 22nd August 2021

Post by syncroandy »

For those who are completing their booking form, and wanting to read the club rules before clicking 'agree', I was able to find an old copy via the good old 'web archive':

Club_constitution_2008.pdf

HTH
Syncrosport

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

fh9977
80-90 Mem No: 17112

Re: Syncropendence Booking Form. NB BOOKING CLOSES 22nd August 2021

Post by fh9977 »

Hi,
just wanted to confirm that this is definitely going ahead, and what is the camping infra we can expect (toilets, etc).

also, is there a schedule defined for Saturday? 

unfortunately my other half is not too keen on camping and is terrified about off road driving. SP is the perfect event for her right  :D ?
she agreed to go, but I will book a B&B just in case the moaning is too much - any recommendations please?