30 years of Syncro? (2 threads now merged)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: In all seriousness - 30 years of Syncro

Post by silverbullet »

Imagine 500+ vehicles all out laning for several days in a given part of the UK. Nightmare. Finding enough routes to keep the groups separate and manageable would be a hefty challenge, then there's the problem of trail erosion from such intensive activity, never mind any other 4x4 'laners, bikers, walkers etc etc

It all adds up to a closed site doesn't it, with sufficient cultural attractions within reasonable striking distance.

Garden of England it is then, all round to Jes' gaff :rofl

Wychall
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 9841

Post by Wychall »

Don't know anything about this green laning lark but I believe there is an offroad course at Gaydon which is of course JLR territory. Also has a museum as added interest, and historic Warwick on the doorstep so there is interest for the non welly wanging green laners.
The Cotswolds any good for your lanes?
South African 1991 2.5i Microbus - now sadly rehomed to pay for a Melco EMT16X Embroidery Machine.

syncropaddy
80-90 Mem No: 1019

Post by syncropaddy »

There was quite a bit of organising for 25 and so much going on behind the scenes. Does Club 80-90 have at least 20 dedicated people capable of organising an event that could quite easily be as big as 25 was? Don't forget that there was over 1100 people there at 25. Imagine the chaos with 550 vans and 1100 people all going green landing in typical English weather!! Imagine the damage to the lanes and the sport!!!

Mammutpark had a LOT of play space, a restaurant, showers and toilet facilities well capable of catering for all. I would suggest that the old Syncro25 web site is reactivated and all the old committee members are contacted and see what the level of interest is.

Good intentions and initial enthusiasm will not run an event as big as this could be.
syncropaddy

One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship

poshbuggers
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by poshbuggers »

^ that there is good old common sense.

'90 Syncro Hightop. Ex-BUPA/Rowan ambulance with 2.0L GTI power and some curious windows.
)

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

Wychall wrote:Don't know anything about this green laning lark but I believe there is an offroad course at Gaydon which is of course JLR territory. Also has a museum as added interest, and historic Warwick on the doorstep so there is interest for the non welly wanging green laners.
The Cotswolds any good for your lanes?

Gaydon is quite a small site and is a British motor heritage museum...not sure it's suitable for a load of vans on steriods..

v-lux
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2951

Post by v-lux »

I know quite a few people more than capable of running an event of this nature, 1000 people sized event would be miniscule compared to what they are used to. That said they would probably need a fee for taking on the infrastructure design/organisation, but that's how events work. That's why there's an entrance fee.

The main problem comes back to the site, which would need to be capable of 'containing' everyone and the entertainment. Green laning would obviously be totally off the cards.

Neil mentioned Slab common, i used to live 10 mins down the road from there and IF we could arrange access there is a HUGE area that the MOD use for all sorts of exercises, a great deal of it landrover/truck and tank training. The area would be fantastic for the offroad driving side of things.

The problem would be finding a space large/suitable enough for the vehicles to camp up, which might just need a recce.....?

restaurant, showers and toilet facilities well capable of catering for all

This isn't difficult if you know the right people to ask.

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

I liked slab common, it's definately big enough
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

Syncrobaz
80-90 Mem No: 10610

Post by Syncrobaz »

Salisbury plain wouldn't work for groups over about 10.

There are rangers to keep an eye on you for good reason, unexploded shells !! :shock: :shock:

Hil and I are based near Swindon, would be pleased to do a recce. if needed. :ok
Syncronaut no 152
92 RHD mv panel van
94 RHD jx doka 16"

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

I'm not on about just leaving everything to Clive and Jenny to sort out like what normally happens, of course it needs proper planning and organisation for a large event, it's all hypothetical at the moment?
At the moment it seems like lots of people are coming up with problems rather than solutions and probably not a good idea to rely on syncronauts to assist so v-lux's suggestion if a professional company to do it sounds a valid one.
If we all just sat back and waited for someone else to do then there would be no club80-90 to start with...
In honesty I think you would struggle to get the numbers that 25 years attracted due to the location and lack of draw of other attraction by the way of related cool stuff to do like factories and the fact that it wouldn't be in the home market.
But, seeing as most have written it off already why bother?
Lets just sit back and wait for another country to do it eh.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

v-lux
Trader

Post by v-lux »

I'm not on about just leaving everything to Clive and Jenny to sort out like what normally happens, of course it needs proper planning and organisation for a large event, it's all hypothetical at the moment?
At the moment it seems like lots of people are coming up with problems rather than solutions and probably not a good idea to rely on syncronauts to assist so v-lux's suggestion if a professional company to do it sounds a valid one.
If we all just sat back and waited for someone else to do then there would be no club80-90 to start with...
In honesty I think you would struggle to get the numbers that 25 years attracted due to the location and lack of draw of other attraction by the way of related cool stuff to do like factories and the fact that it wouldn't be in the home market.
But, seeing as most have written it off already why bother?
Lets just sit back and wait for another country to do it eh.

[Like]

poshbuggers

Post by poshbuggers »

Maybe as a community we should look at contributing to an event rather than hosting it, though I do like the idea of a UK based setup.

What can the UK Syncro community do to promote/demonstrate/assist/attend a 30yr celebration - regardless of where it is?

- How many of us actually own one?
- How many would be willing to travel inland or overseas to such an event?
- Can we offer anything more (traders/tech knowledge/display etc)?
- Is anyone willing to assist a hosting team with marshalling etc?

In attending Busfest I was blown away by the camaraderie (sp?) between Syncro owners of many nationalities. All willing to share ideas, stories and knowledge to show off their love for the brand.

Some people will want to go offroad, some will want to enjoy the camping abilities of the van and others will want to get their hands dirty.

Traders would be a great benefit. Syncro parts are few and far between at VW events and it's good to see/handle them in person as well as spend, spend, spend. Syncro owners love toys and cool stuff at an event (be it camping gear, upgrades or clothing) would go down a treat.

'90 Syncro Hightop. Ex-BUPA/Rowan ambulance with 2.0L GTI power and some curious windows.
)

eltee
80-90 Mem No: 8417

Post by eltee »

I drove to mammut park, forgot how many miles, and didnt even drive from the camping area. For me it was the experience and atmosphere. forget the "greenlaning" it needs a site to accommodate the camping, the german trial, and some off roading , decent toilets and showers, although they can be brought in.Do the L/R boys have a site for this when they have a national event?
91 syncro ex bundeswehr

v-lux
Trader

Post by v-lux »

Not come up with anything conclusive yet but i've been trying to search for 'UK's biggest LR event'...that kind of thing.

They must have a site that will accomodate a mass of vehicles/trade stands/offroading etc etc

poshbuggers

Post by poshbuggers »

I don't think there was camping but this is a good guide to what the LR community gets from a show.

http://www.lroshow.com/index.php

Obviously the Syncro is more of a niche market and the scale of any event should reflect this.

)

eltee
80-90 Mem No: 8417

Post by eltee »

Syncro 30 at Busfest?
91 syncro ex bundeswehr