An MPG conundrum

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Hasis
80-90 Mem No: 0

An MPG conundrum

Post by Hasis »

Okay, time to introduce myself properly

I'm a newbie here as I have recently become the [very] proud owner of a rather fetching cherry'n cream '82 CU engined Devon Moonraker. Did I say I was proud?

Anyway, I've just calculated my mpg from the first 3 fills and it's...18mpg!!

Now, I'm a card-carrying greenie fer'chrissake, I can't live with that! So what's your advice?

Will a twiddle with the carbs work wonders, or [more likely I fear] should I be thinking of LPG or an AGG conversion?

As she is, the engine starts first turn, runs smooth and gets to 50-55mph in a sluggish but otherwise rather endearingly relaxed fashion and apart from slightly crusty exhaust components and some minor drippage from the push-rod housings [?? NB. I'm no mechanic] I'm really, really, enjoying driving her

I know there is stacks of advice hereabouts, but I'd really appreciate some rehashing here of how I might avoid the need to take out a 2nd mortgage just to keep on the road.

NB. this is our only vehicle, but I reckon we'll be maxing out at 7500 miles per year...if we can afford to that is

Thnx in anticipation

Hugh
-------------------------
1982 CU Devon Moonraker

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: An MPG conundrum

Post by silverbullet »

Going Aircooled to water cooled is no small undertaking, if the experiences of others are much to go by. The cooling systems always seem to be a poor compromise unless going the full monty (panel replacement up front, coolant pipes are £££) and the entire heater system will have to be changed...it looks like it goes on a bit.
Had a look at VWKD.com? Probably better off going for lpg and accepting that's as good as it's going to get.
Driving a T3 is a "green" choice remember, you're recycling and re-using, restoring and repairing. Far better than a new van made from 99% oil-derived plastic and a huge manufacturing carbon footprint (if you believe the pundits)!

Hasis

Post by Hasis »

Ah, right...all becomes a lot clearer. Thanks SB, really useful advice, plus a little conscience salving thrown in...you're gooood! :ok

I'll see how things go for the time being before doing anything drastic...and just enjoy myself in the process I reckon!

H
1982 CU Devon Moonraker

simple
80-90 Mem No: 4154

Post by simple »

I have been doing the same for 8 years, 18mpg 1981, no problem on green issues as SB said, 'better than scraping it and buying new', the energy used to manufacture the thing has been well returned by keeping it on the road added to this the airmiles we save by not going on cheap foreign holidays.

The only minus is rising fuel costs, so I will be going LPG as soon as possible, the vehicle will then be so green I can happily cut down some trees or punch a few robins. :D
Be careful about reading health books. You might die of a misprint. -Mark Twain

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

LPG is the only way I can afford to run my van as my daily.

I saw the light 5 years ago and in that time the price has gone from 40.9p (petrol was 97.9 according to the AA) to 74.9p :cry:

The margin isn't quite as big (1.78 times cheaper as opposed to 2.3 in 2006) but it still beats getting rammed £132.9 for petrol

Here's a fuel calculator for you to fill in and see how long it would take to SAVE MONEY. I save over £600 a year according to it. 8)
http://www.gasure.co.uk/4steve.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

Hasis wrote:Now, I'm a card-carrying greenie fer'chrissake, I can't live with that! So what's your advice?
Tear the card up :ok
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

Hasis

Post by Hasis »

Ah Ha!!! The moderators moved my post into 'any other matters' (which makes perfect sense) and I'd lost it. Anyway, I guess I'd better just say that LPG is most definitely on the wish list now. We've just had our second 'shake-down' weekend, which involved a sedate circumnavigation of the Lakes, inc. a 2-night stop at Ravenglass.

I cannot believe it's taken me 47 years to realise just how relaxing weekends are if you use them as an opportunity to go off on 'adventures'.

The whole van-ping experience is just brilliant, we're totally hooked!! :wink:
1982 CU Devon Moonraker