What kind of distances without stopping in your Aircooled?

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

81AirCooled
80-90 Mem No: 8770

What kind of distances without stopping in your Aircooled?

Post by 81AirCooled »

Now my carb and ignition issues have finally been sorted I can concentrate on actually going on holiday or weekends away in the van. In late August/early September we plan to either go to Lake Garda or the Venetian riveria so the journey is anything between 400-700km probably in searing heat.

What sort of distance/time should I be travelling in my Aircooled CU before I take a break, I`m thinking something like 3-4 hours followed by a half hour break until I get there. Will the engine do that ok or should I stop more often and let the engine cool a little longer.

I´d like to get there without stopping overnight but on the other hand I want to look after the engine as well.

Thanks for any advice :ok
1981 2.0l Aircooled ex German post office van coverted to camper.

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Re: What kind of distances without stopping in your Aircooled?

Post by AdrianC »

81AirCooled wrote:What sort of distance/time should I be travelling in my Aircooled CU before I take a break, I`m thinking something like 3-4 hours followed by a half hour break until I get there. Will the engine do that ok or should I stop more often and let the engine cool a little longer.

If you can't drive until you run out of fuel, then you've got cooling system problems that need to be fixed.

Doesn't matter _what_ engine. No manufacturer has ever released an engine that can't be used like that.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

81AirCooled

Post by 81AirCooled »

:oops: Just thought I´d check. I don´t have any overeheating issues I´m aware of but I've never driven in the van for more than an hour so far.

Glad to hear there are no problems in principle though. Can´t wait to get away now.

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Post by BOXY »

200 miles is as far as I can sensibly get without needing to refuel. If you're going to be hauling up a lot of hills, stopping to enjoy the view would be a good idea. Nothing gets an engine hotter than mountain climbing.
Try planning your trip in "short" stages making the journey to your ultimate destination part of the holiday. Google maps says it should take me 2 1/2 hours to get to Lands End from Plymouth. The last time I went it took four days. :lol:
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

meehaja
80-90 Mem No: 7856

Post by meehaja »

I've done a lot of long drives in my CU panel van. Mostly I stop every 3-4 hours as my seat isn't comfy, but I did 9 hours once just stopping for fuel as required with no problems. Overheating wise, I keep my dash heaters on, once the heat from those burns my hand then its too hot! Also listen to your engine and smell it! I can't explain it, but I'm quite perceptive of "Hot engine smell"! It'll be fine, its been running for nearly 30 years.
1982 A/C 2.0 Bright Orange Panel Van.

81AirCooled

Post by 81AirCooled »

Thanks for the reassurance everyone.