DF engine with auto box

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

melmelody
80-90 Mem No: 6934

DF engine with auto box

Post by melmelody »

hi all,

i've just been offered a really good condition caravelle with a kaputt engine and an auto gearbox for not a lot of money.now what i wondered is does any member on here have a bus with such an engine and gearbox set up fitted to their pride and joy and if so what does it go like? the reason i'm asking is i can get a DF code engine but i believe they are only 60 hp and my other bus has an MV engine and thats not exactly rapid although it does the job more than adequetley. the thing is this bus seems too good to pass up as the body although the paint is a bit flat is mint.original steps and body panels no rust around the windows never welded etc. and i think i'd have to look far and wide to find one this good body wise. any help in this matter is much apprieciated as i dont want to spend a load of time doing engine work if its gonna drive like a snail. maybe its just better to look for a more powerfull motor . thanks for reading .

mel.

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: DF engine with auto box

Post by R0B »

Try to get a 2.1.Add the autobox.And sit back and smile.Mine goes like a little rocket.Its a tad heavier on fuel than a manual.(If the manual owners are to be believed) :) But hey im not complaining :)
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

I think 'the_mitchells', have one
mike

tonytech
80-90 Mem No: 477

Post by tonytech »

Agree with Rob.
2.1 with an auto box.
Easy driving. Have managed 27mpg, long run @ 60mph, but rarely have the patience for that :D
T
There are 10 kinds of people. those who understand Binary and those who dont

melmelody
80-90 Mem No: 6934

Post by melmelody »

hi again all,

yes i have to agree with th 2.1 comments. my other bus is a 2.1 manual with the cat removed and a kand n filter fitted and that goes really good and you can quite easily drive it at 120 kph on the autobahns over here, faster if you need to over take. thats why i'm a bit aprehensive of sticking a 60 hp one in. the thing is i can have the engine for free so it would save me quite a bit of cash. do you think you could put it in for exchange against a 2.1 with one of the recon companies , someone like elite or vege or the likes? if so that may be an option. oooh its annoying isn't it? the old engine is there with the bus but is stripped down and apparently the cam has gone ( this seems a bit strange to me) the story goes like this... the guy i got it from was using it and then decided to service it and after that it wouldnt start so he stripped it down and reckons the cam is gone . thats what the lad selling it told me when i asked what was wrong with the engine on it. i reckon the guy probably broke something taking it apart and just left it as he didnt know what he was doing.thanks again all for taking the time to read .hopefully some one may be able to offer advice/help to make this as easy a fix as possible , if it is possible.
cheers again.
i'll keep you all updated on how i get on.
mel.