hydraulic bench press recommondations?

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

irishkeet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2322

hydraulic bench press recommondations?

Post by irishkeet »

Hello
After a hydraulic bench press and just wondering if anyone has any recommendations before I purchase

thanks
irishkeet :mrgreen:
------------------------
1985 Doka 1.9 DG 4 Speed Box
---
1986 Fakefalia Syncro Subaru EJ25

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Re: hydraulic bench press recommondations?

Post by TONYT25T25 »

I was only thinking about this yesterday so will join your post if you don't mind.  First thoughts were how often I would need it, secondly would paying for one save me money in the long run.  Looking at basic models on ebay with about 6 ton of pressure at around the £100 and wondering if these would be capable of doing most jobs like bushes and certain joints etc not just on the van but my other vehicle.  Bought a couple of vices recently in anticipation of using them in certain circumstances.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

TONYT25T25 wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 20:23 I was only thinking about this yesterday so will join your post if you don't mind.  First thoughts were how often I would need it, secondly would paying for one save me money in the long run.  Looking at basic models on ebay with about 6 ton of pressure at around the £100 and wondering if these would be capable of doing most jobs like bushes and certain joints etc not just on the van but my other vehicle.  Bought a couple of vices recently in anticipation of using them in certain circumstances.

of course Tony, last time I needed some studs pressed it was £20ish at a local place but I now need to do a bearing on the Syncro and I have a doka to do bits with, so I dont want to be running around to get bits pressed. I was thinking 10t myself but would be interested in the units you are looking at if you can pop up some links. I am thinking a bench unit myself. :ok
------------------------
---

Highroller
80-90 Mem No: 12833

Post by Highroller »

I would steer clear from a 6 ton one, I've had a few bearings done with a 10 ton press and they were tight.
1991 2.1 WBX Devon microbus twinslider hightop

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

For Syncro front wheel bearings you need at least 10 tonnes headroom, when rusted in after 30 years can take the full 10 tonnes to start, but for a good versatile multipurpose press that can do inner CV joints (again may be necessary on Syncro, 2wd ones usually fall off once circlip removed) and other things with length and with a head that can be moved side to side to accommodate awkward stuff I'd go floor press something like this floor press, you can then do your own gearbox work  :D

when not in use you can stack boxes in and around it

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

I think in light of the above advice a 6 ton would probably not do the job for most jobs, a floor standing one sounds best also. Here is one example of a 6 ton press.  hydraulic press | eBay  Also how many accessories do you need for various size bushes etc.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

Aidan wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 13:35 For Syncro front wheel bearings you need at least 10 tonnes headroom, when rusted in after 30 years can take the full 10 tonnes to start, but for a good versatile multipurpose press that can do inner CV joints (again may be necessary on Syncro, 2wd ones usually fall off once circlip removed) and other things with length and with a head that can be moved side to side to accommodate awkward stuff I'd go floor press something like this floor press, you can then do your own gearbox work  :D

when not in use you can stack boxes in and around it
thanks Aidan :ok
------------------------
---

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

Here is my home made press, engine hoist legs, tow bar cut up and welded together for the table and skip find pieces of birch ply and hardwood , bottle jack is only 5 ton but just pressed gears out of rear 091 gearbox housing.Image
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Sealey, Draper, all the same and made in PRC but its all you can get now. We aquired a floor standing press recently after years of borrowing a neighbours on rare occasions, its a reflection of the changing nature of work i.e. we get asked to do a lot of weird stuff now.
Tonnage is also a strange one, its only comparable if the ram is the same diameter.
Sometimes loading up the workpiece then giving it a sharp tw@t with a copper hammer can help get things moving if reluctant.