Multivan RHD interior.

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Multivan RHD interior.

Post by Smiffo »

Right, some of you will think I'm nuts, but I have to ask....

Were any interiors installed as per Redstar/Bluestar Multivan in RHD vans?
If not, has anyone looked at reproduction of them as a mirror of LHD examples in existence?

I have the bug. I like how they look, but don't think there are any RHD variations out there, and if there are, I suspect super rare.

So....

Is it feasible to take a copy of a LHD version, and ask a plastics moulding company to form a RHD version?
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: Multivan RHD interior.

Post by multisi »

I was at vanfest many years ago and spoke to a trader who was making plastic trim interiors for the T4 models. I told him about the vw factory only made the multivan in lhd format and asked if he could tool up to make rhd plastics but he didnt have much interest in the t3 models. Im changing my caravelle into bluestar spec and have the seat/bed, buddy seat and table installed, will be making the sides out of thin ply then trim over it.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

Same.

I've got the full width seat, but nothing else. 
I'm looking at it and thinking it has to be possible though. I'm just coming out the other side of a lot of body work on the van, and have learnt anything is possible, but it is merely a question if it's cost viable?  :rollin

Is there a diagram, or the original dimensions somewhere of the LHD version?

Surly this is just a case of approaching a plastics moulding company and saying "like this, but a mirror of it?"
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

multisi

Post by multisi »

It would most likely cost a lot to get them made, many would have to be made to recoup the costs of the tooling, if you need any measurements ,i have a set of lhd multivan plastics. have you got the multivan table which needs a strong crossmember fitted in the recess under the window.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

Nope. Nothing other than the full width seat over here. Haven't sourced a table yet.

I assume no CAD diagrams of the LHD version exist?
This would literally be a case of somehow getting the full dimensions of the LHD converted to RHD and a CAD diagram made of that?

I need to speak to someone i know that works with CAD software. This cannot be rocket science - it's only plastic innit? :rollin :rollin :rollin
'89 1.9 DG

multisi

Post by multisi »

If you have loads of dosh you could get me to make them !

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

Make the CAD diagrams you mean?
'89 1.9 DG

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

Starting looking into this today....
I think I'd need to sell the house to even make the mould  :lol: :lol: :lol:

'89 1.9 DG

SurfT25
80-90 Mem No: 17059

Post by SurfT25 »

How about asking a plastic welder if it could be possible to cut up LHD set and rejoin as a RHD set. :?:
The results I've seen on repaired plastic is unbelievable.
Or am I barking up wrong tree. :oops:
Prepare for the worst but hope for the best

1984 1.9 DG WBX Autohomes hightop

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

SurfT25 wrote:How about asking a plastic welder if it could be possible to cut up LHD set and rejoin as a RHD set. :?:
The results I've seen on repaired plastic is unbelievable.
Or am I barking up wrong tree. :oops:
I could be wrong, but I think it’s more complex.
In my mind you have to invert them, better put, turn them inside out to get the correct orientation.

I’m thinking 3D laser scan, make CAD drawing and invert at that stage. Then maybe 3D print them.
That’s probably the cheapest route.

I’ve found local 3D scan company. Just need to get my hands on a LHD set lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'89 1.9 DG