Heater box cables and refurb info

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

JustSharon
80-90 Mem No: 3428

Heater box cables and refurb info

Post by JustSharon »

Evening
Time to rebuild and refurb the heater box after the fire (ahem), only been more than a few years...

One cable is completely knackered ( the one from the lower vent flap, metal lever) The other one is not very OK, (the one from the plastic lever)

LHD syncro

Circled in picture which levers I am on about

Are both these the same length?
What am I looking for on BW?

Also once I've refurbed the inside, what is the recommended way of sealing it up again. BW doesn't have these clip things in stock.

Tia
It's all the little moments in life that make it a big adventure.

1989 AFN TDI Syncro

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Re: Heater box cables and refurb info

Post by Stesaw »

The defrost one is shorter if I recall. When I rebuilt mine it already had the clips so it was nice and easy.
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

Splurt
80-90 Mem No: 9694

Post by Splurt »

Mine had a short cable from the bottom right lever and a long one from the bottom right that loops back up over the top of the control box to come to the controls from the left hand side (if looking at it head on).

My defrost flap is controlled by an actuator so not  sure what cable this should have.  

Mine is a later SA set up though so although the heater box is the same, the controls are different (knobs instead of levers and an extra flap that closes the outside air supply)

The cables have clips that anchor them at the heater box so that there is something to push/pull against when operating.  

You might be able to adapt brake/gear cables from a push bike to do the job but it could get complicated.  Worth trying some breakers to see if you can get a set of complete cables from them.  Make sure you get the anchor clips also, my cables wouldn't work without them.

I also used a needle and syringe to inject some oil into the cable sleeve to try to lubricate them as much as possible.  If the cables have been bent even slightly they are very hard to get moving.
Ryan

89 - 1.8T AGU - SA Syncro - Hightop Camper 

'I love my brick'
Fr Jack Hackett

Splurt

Post by Splurt »

I have some metal spring clips that I got from work that I used for sealing up the heater box.  Not original fittings but these together with a fine bead of silicone secured it nicely.  I will check to see if I have enough left over for another box, your welcome to them
Ryan

'I love my brick'
Fr Jack Hackett

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Paint drum lid clips?
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Splurt

Post by Splurt »

I have six of these if you want them.  They are for sealing the joint shells for underground electricity cables.  They are very tight and have barbs to keep them in place.  Six probably won’t be enough for the whole box but I have heard of people using screws through the overlapping tabs.

ImageImage
Ryan

'I love my brick'
Fr Jack Hackett

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

You can also drill through both tabs, and use a thin cable tie. Think that's what I did and it wasn't difficult.
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

JustSharon
80-90 Mem No: 3428

Post by JustSharon »

Thanks all, some stuff is coming back into stock on BW, just waiting on the defrost cable, bit reluctant to do 2nd hand as may be stretched etc.

Although those clips do look good, and considering the quantity needed does put the cost up.

Splurt, I'll drop you a pm, my brother is a sparky so he might be able to source additional clips.

Thanks guys, pleasure as always
It's all the little moments in life that make it a big adventure.

1989 AFN TDI Syncro

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

JustSharon wrote: 21 May 2021, 08:50 Thanks all, some stuff is coming back into stock on BW, just waiting on the defrost cable, bit reluctant to do 2nd hand as may be stretched etc.

Although those clips do look good, and considering the quantity needed does put the cost up.

Splurt, I'll drop you a pm, my brother is a sparky so he might be able to source additional clips.

Thanks guys, pleasure as always

They aren’t really cables , solid metal bars sort off, not prone to stretching, I did a heater motor yesterday morning , drilled and screwed the case , quick and easy