What do you do with scrap parts?

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: What do you do with scrap parts?

Post by silverbullet »

I donated the last two dead cars - after taking what I wanted - to our local Fire and Rescue Service for practice.
Always check by asking them for their vehicle collection agent, not just ones who claim to be collecting vehicles for training purposes.
You can always fill the boot up with scrap, they dont care as it all gets weighed in at the end.

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

I changed the cylinder head on an old Astra once as a result of the cambelt failing and damaging the valves.  Changed everything but kept the old cylinder head bolts for a while before disposing of them.  A few years later I was on a campsite where the ground was so hard the pegs for my awning would not penetrate enough to keep the awning in place during high winds that coincided with the visit.  Thought at the time if had kept the bolts I could have hammered them into the hard ground as pegs.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Post by jrt »

silverbullet wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 19:50 I donated the last two dead cars - after taking what I wanted - to our local Fire and Rescue Service for practice.
Always check by asking them for their vehicle collection agent, not just ones who claim to be collecting vehicles for training purposes.
You can always fill the boot up with scrap, they dont care as it all gets weighed in at the end.
I had a contract working at a few fire stations in the North West. There were some lovely cars behind the heras fencing waiting to be cut up. The old scavenger in me kept surfacing and I had to hold myself back asking for bits of them. I miss the old scrap yards of the ‘80’s when you could just plunder anything you wanted from a pile of cars stacked 4 high:)
Some of my old parts are used to keep my side gates open. I currently have an alternator and a water pump in use!
David.
the future is unwritten