Slider lock action

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Re: Slider lock action

Post by syncroandy »

I've just refitted the slider to my kombi, after a couple of years stood, and of course found the handle lock is seized solid.

Can anyone point me toward a stripdown/repair guide for these ?  The tiny screw is probably seized solid, if I drill it out should I be able to knock the cylinder out somehow ?

Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Re: Slider lock action

Post by syncroandy »

Pff.. I got the screw drilled out OK. Then I had a go at tapping the cylinder out from behind through the little square access hole, using a small flat screwdriver. Access is pretty poor and you're tapping at quite an angle. After a few taps the cylinder moved a mm. Great I thought, I'll work back and forth a bit. Tapped it back. Then tried to tap it out again. Wouldn't budge. I think I peened something inside which has locked it in place.

PS. Gottit. I just held a spare key in a vice slid the cylinder over then started twisting... before the key snapped, the cylinder broke loose, and after a few back and forth twists I was able to withdraw the cylinder. Of course its in a bad way but the main handle isn't too bad. I would be tempted to get a fresh cylinder, but annoyingly the cylinder does not come with the sealing ring and spring, which of course need renewing too. So I may end up getting a new handle while I still can..
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004