Mechanical lift and drop moving mech (Dolly)

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Re: Mechanical lift and drop moving mech (Dolly)

Post by davidoft1 »

Jim San wrote:
davidoft1 wrote:https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2230002861

Or perhaps this is what you need, or Copy

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2644106380" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very close to that :ok

Easy enough to make too

southernscouse
80-90 Mem No: 2434

Post by southernscouse »

I know you said you did not want hydraulic pump up but motorcycle lift can be got for £50

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

southernscouse wrote:I know you said you did not want hydraulic pump up but motorcycle lift can be got for £50

I considered hydraulic system (or similar) for a good while. I decided against it because i was after something instantaneous. I know the pump action would only be a few seconds but that was my thinking. Likewise, motor driven I dismissed because it needs power, is a potential point of failure and just less reliable than mechanical. These may not have been a good decisions.

On reflection, the action of hydraulic lowering would be a positive aspect on user experience. There is something very satisfying about the control and feeling of lowering a jack or pallet truck.

I spent about 5 hrs drawing up a very straightforward mechanical cam lever system last night. As important as this function is, it is only one small part of the overall design. I have been draughting other parts for 2+ weeks now and still have more to do. I had to make a decision and crack on. Even as I write this my mind is still considering the possibilities - and the more I think about it, the less satisifed I am with my option :? If I had had the thoughts I am having now about the bike lifts and pallet trucks it would/could have been different. If I finish the drawings and still have time I may change it - but the implications it has on other parts is pretty major.

I really appreciate the input people, it is a very helpful and vital part of the design process - tunnel vision does not help any design. Some of the smallest suggestions, although not directly relevant, can have the biggest impacts on the outcome of a design.

My biggest hurdle at uni has been time - I am pleased with the all designs in my portfoilio but I know given more time I could develop them even further.
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

Porkscratching
80-90 Mem No: 17422

Post by Porkscratching »

Pool table lift?
1990 Westy HiTop 1.6 JX
Time is precious, waste it wisely folks.

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

Jim San wrote:My biggest hurdle at uni has been time - I am pleased with the all designs in my portfoilio but I know given more time I could develop them even further.

That never changes - the necessary design work will almost always expand until it requires a bit more time than you have available. :-)
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

Jim San

Post by Jim San »

clift_d wrote:
Jim San wrote:My biggest hurdle at uni has been time - I am pleased with the all designs in my portfoilio but I know given more time I could develop them even further.

That never changes - the necessary design work will almost always expand until it requires a bit more time than you have available. :-)

:rofl spot on

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

I'm guessing you are using one of the solid modelling packages. I wonder if I can ask which one and are you at the level where you are able to animate your model?
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

Jim San

Post by Jim San »

Mr Bean wrote:I'm guessing you are using one of the solid modelling packages. I wonder if I can ask which one and are you at the level where you are able to animate your model?

I currently use SolidWorks for 3D modelling. However, I am drawing it in 2D first to iron out the bugs.
I know it seems a bit weird but when I draw in 3D I find unknown dimensions difficult to establish - and as of yet, I find creating a sketch within an assembly or on another component very troublesome. It's a distinct disadvantage not having the practice from the earlier years (I only joined my current uni 18 months ago).

I've used 2D Cad for 25 years or more and this current package for the last 10. My 3D CAD has been sporadic throughout the years, I had managed to get to grips with the basics on SpaceClaim, some principals apply to SW but not many - I've admired SW from afar since seeing a demo at a show years ago - I must admit, it's a bit of an anti-climax as I find it click heavy and lacking intuitive method.

I've only been using SolidWorks for the last 18 months. I'm not really at a skill level to animate yet but will likely be having a stab at it soon. Covid-19 means we cannot access the workshops to make our models to submit - A 3D animation of our product is one of the options we can submit instead.

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

PM sent :ok
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX