DJ 2.1 without DOP's oil sensor hole?

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

DJ 2.1 without DOP's oil sensor hole?

Post by maxstu »

What do l have? Been meaning to ask you sage like lot for nearly a year...
Bought this engine from a fellow club member two years ago. Then it was running on carb with later cooling system when purchased.
I then put it into a 1985 van keeping the early cooling system and no DOP's so didnt think strange?
Six months later it started pressurising the system. So pulled it out.
It was then l realised surely all DJ's have a second oil sensor hole next to crank pulley? This engine doesn't.

MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: DJ 2.1 without DOP's oil sensor hole?

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

That DJ has been put on after the previous letters were ground off, there is the remnant of a previous letter there under the J.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:That DJ has been put on after the previous letters were ground off, there is the remnant of a previous letter there under the J.

This^^^

check it's actually a 2.1 by measuring stroke.

also does it have the other features of a late case such as the B suffix on part number by push rod tubes?

if it's an early case you can't build it 2.1 without taking a grinder to the insides, possible but a lot of work, somebody on here has done it.

I once saw a late case with no second oil hole but very very rare.

1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Interesting! Very interesting...
Will have a look at casings tomorrow.
:ok
MaxStu

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

measure stroke by taking a plug out get it to the bottom of stroke with a thin object ( pencil maybe) in the spark plug hole then make a mark on the object and bring it to top. then measure difference.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

itchyfeet wrote:measure stroke by taking a plug out get it to the bottom of stroke with a thin object ( pencil maybe) in the spark plug hole then make a mark on the object and bring it to top. then measure difference.
Will do Paul. Got just the appropriate tool. A wooden kebab stick
:ok
MaxStu

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Early case

Stroke correct for 2.1

No prefix..or l mean suffix :oops:

Hmmmmm! A cross-bred strange one.
Couldnt tell difference when driving. Didnt feel much swifter than the ultra reliable DG 1900 in second camper at the time.
MaxStu

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Deffo didn't leave the factory like this... didn't buy it from this chap by chance?

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=148330" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

itchyfeet wrote:Deffo didn't leave the factory like this... didn't buy it from this chap by chance?

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=148330" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nope. Local Kent forum member going for a GTI install.
MaxStu

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

maxstu wrote: Didnt feel much swifter than the ultra reliable DG 1900 in second camper at the time.

Could be they are MV pistons or could be something else like poor compression or ignition or carb setup that's making it lack power.

My DJ digijet goes like stink in a camper that's maybe 400kg heavier than my tin top DG.

If it were me I'd stick a USB endoscope down the spark plug hole to see what gloves it has on, they are cheap enough on ebay

1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Odds on its one of elites quality rebuilds ...... :shock:
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Agreed.

My current camper, a 2.1 DJ with autobox and high top, is an absolute flyer. And my idea of going carb for easy LPG conversion is losing appeal. The digijet is so smooth I don't want to lose it. It would easily outpace this mongrel engine, with 5 speeder LPG carb, when fitted in my 1985 caravelle high top.
Ive got a USB endoscope somewhere. May take a peek a boo later this week. However its coming apart later this year for a refresh and new seals. Pending on other projects getting finished soon.
Thanks for the exellent photo. Most handy.
Regards
stuart
MaxStu

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Mocki wrote:Odds on its one of elites quality rebuilds ...... :shock:

Bloomin eck! Do you know what Steve...I think you are spot on :roll: Im not going to mention forum member I bought it from. But this person did mention Elite. But I got it (then I thought) for a decent price and it ran well-ish for six months before pressurising the coolant. So could have been just bad luck on my part.

Luckily a top forum member also called Steve (Subaru convert) in Gravesend did me a huge favour and sold an absolute peach of a DG1900 engine to me as a replacement for this mess.

Well its all coming together now...before it comes apart :lol:
MaxStu

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Yeah, didn’t take too much miss marpling to work it out mate , and I’m sure it was all in good faith that you got it , I’ll bet you have actually had your money’s worth .....
Sadly that outfit where your seller got it done has left nothing but a trail of woe , everyone has always said that they were knocking their "refurbs" out at less than the cost of the labour , never mind the parts .

Unless you took all the new parts in , and watched over them , you just don’t really know what is inside

That said , there was a well respected engine builder up above the north that pumted a load of duff rebuilds out then disappeared , and he was known as a guru with Aircooled engines back in the day .

You really have to trust engine builders and bodyworkists , because unless you are actually standing there watching, anything could go on and by nature of the work , you would never really know .
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Mocki wrote:Yeah, didn’t take too much miss marpling to work it out mate , and I’m sure it was all in good faith that you got it , I’ll bet you have actually had your money’s worth .....
Sadly that outfit where your seller got it done has left nothing but a trail of woe , everyone has always said that they were knocking their "refurbs" out at less than the cost of the labour , never mind the parts .

Unless you took all the new parts in , and watched over them , you just don’t really know what is inside

That said , there was a well respected engine builder up above the north that pumted a load of duff rebuilds out then disappeared , and he was known as a guru with Aircooled engines back in the day .

You really have to trust engine builders and bodyworkists , because unless you are actually standing there watching, anything could go on and by nature of the work , you would never really know .

Well said..or typed, Steve. Ive had dealings in the past with Elite. When they partnered with Steve at Gasure to give us southerners an option to convert to LPG without travelling so far north. In fact Elites messing about did me a favour. I left my camper with them in 2008 for a week (i went abroad) for conversion. I explicitly stated any problems please contact me immediately. Never heard a word all week so assumed all okay. On return to UK called Elite only to hear from some guy called Mick (or dick) grumble without a hint of care in his voice they hadn't even started the conversion yet.

Spoke to Steve in Cheshire and he pulled the plug with Elite cos of their messing around. He was full of apologies and drove to me in Kent. Left a car for me to use. Drove my camper back to Cheshire, converted it and had it back to me IN KENT in four days :shock: What a guy 8)
He truly was one in a million. I drove to him for every service despite being 250 miles away...worth every penny. Plus got to see the beauty of Anglesey on a regular basis.
Regards
Stuart
MaxStu