Rear brake imbalance - not balanced

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Highroller
80-90 Mem No: 12833

Re: Rear brake imbalance - not balanced

Post by Highroller »

Itchyfeet mentioned the flexi pipe sometimes collapsing acting as a way way valve if clamped. Have you checked that you haven’t nipped the copper pipe or damaged the end when connecting back up to the brake cylinder as this would give the same symptoms.
1991 2.1 WBX Devon microbus twinslider hightop

Stan3
80-90 Mem No: 12954

Post by Stan3 »

will check, thanks Roller

also just noticed that the spring (behind leading shoe) is very tight against the female part of the adjuster compared to o/s so wonder if that might be coming into play..? will try swapping side to side...

Highroller

Post by Highroller »

I've just checked mine and the spring is not tight against the adjuster. I'm sure you have checked the photo's in the Wiki but here are some for reference that i have just taken of the nearside as i have just finished fitting new backplates. I also used Pagid cylinders.

Stan3

Post by Stan3 »

Great pics thank you!....interesting.... my adjuster is very tight to the spring on n/s, not so much on o/s...

I notice you have the female part of the adjuster chamfered end showing...I read on here & in the books that the chamfer is on the backplate side...?

Think I’m going to have to have a closer look at my adjusters...this is really starting to drive me crazy!

Thanks
Phil

Stan3

Post by Stan3 »

Oh...also meant ask Roller, what make shoes did you fit?

I fitted Pagid and notice that like yours, on the trailing shoe on o/s the fibre is short of the end of the metal whereas on the n/s shoe it runs all the way to the end ie. full length like the leading shoes...strange?

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

Good pictures indeed, and nice backplates.

Stan3, this will be quicker if you can put your own pictures up for comparison...... and the auto adjuster can be defeated by simply not refitting the vertical spring, no need for loctite or tie wraps. It's been a while since I did T25 brakes
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

Stan3

Post by Stan3 »

yes, I thought the same - just leave the spring off.....so I took the spring off, marked the position of the cog and over the course of 200 miles the adjuster had tightened itself!! I'm starting to think even though the spring is fitted correctly (upwards), it is interfering with the adjuster - they're very tight together - it's difficult to push a 10thou feeler guage between them....which is not the case on the o/s...

will try to upload pics...although everything looks the same as Highrollers.....

ian prior
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by ian prior »

A random thought from a bit of a novice / ex-T25 owner - is the adjuster stop / ratchet plate (I don't know the part's proper name, it's the grey l-shaped bracket thing) worn and/or bent? I'm wondering if, when everything's together and the brakes are being used in 'anger', it's slipping, i.e. not holding the adjuster wheel in the position it was set at?

Highroller

Post by Highroller »

The chamfer was that way round when I took off the old shoes. I can’t remember if the shoes were pagid or not but I do remember noticing that the fibre was shorter on the new ones.