Three-point Seatbelt - 215 Westfalia

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mark S
80-90 Mem No: 1230

Three-point Seatbelt - 215 Westfalia

Post by Mark S »

Hi there, I need to fit a 3-point seatbelt to the rear of a Westy on the sliding-door side. Today, I took off the trim to see what mounting points are available. There is a mounting point for the top pulley between the side window and tailgate. This was fitted with a nice rubber cap. On removal, I saw a good thread for the mounting, so so far, so good.

Problem is, I can see nowhere to mount the inertia reel retractor. The area immediately below the top mount is covered with some sticky black sound-deadening liner. I peeled a good lot (but not all) of this off but could see no mounting point and it appears to be a solid compartment underneath. One would expect that as they put a nice cap on the top thread that they would do something similar for the bottom!

I did find a good thread similar to the top one, but it is under the side window about halfway along. This is well forward aof the top anchor, so the belt would be travelling back and up at around 45 degrees and would cut off the corner of the window. This geometry does not seem right and so I assume it is not intended to be part of the same system.

I also read on the wiki that in some buses an extra bracket is needed to create a lower anchor point from 3 holes in the frame. There are a number of smaller, unthreaded holes in my frame, but again they are slightly forward of the top anchor.

The works plate says the bus is a 215 model. Can anyone give a steer as to where the lower thread will be found, if indeed there is one? Or is one in fact supposed to use the forward one I found? Many thanks.
1987 Westy Joker

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: Three-point Seatbelt - 215 Westfalia

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Strange this post - I have just this minute picked up an inertia reel belt to dismantle for a clip and belt for a dog harness :D . The reel itself has a threaded hole for the bolt not the other way round, it has also got a locating lug for the correct position.

1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Mark S

Post by Mark S »

UpdateL I think I'm getting there. The helpful Brickwerks fitting guide leads me to believe that their kit with the 'over-engineered' 3-into-1 lower inertia reel mount behind the panel should work. There is also a Securon belt that allows mounting of the inertia reel at any angle, meaning it can be mounted directly on the factory-fitted top mount with nothing behind the panelling.

Disadvantages of these schemes as I can see are that it limits kit distribution in the rear as the belt needs an unimpeded path between top mount and passenger. Also, the diagonal path created seems to me less 'safe' as impact will be taken across the neck of the wearer rather than down over the shoulder as would be the case in the front, for example.

My preference would therefore be to do something with the more-forward mount below and approximately halfway along the window behind the sliding door. As this is below shoulder height, some form of extension post would be needed to bring the top slider up. I saw a picture of one somewhere but cannot remember the link. I'm not sure if this was a custom piece of engineering or whether they can be bought somewhere. Does anyone know?
1987 Westy Joker

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

I have a Westy with factory 3 point belts in the rear , I’ll get pictures

Mark S

Post by Mark S »

OK, update if anyone interested. The Brickwerks rear-right seatbelt kit arrived and fitting the inertia reel was a gift as the three existing holes in the bodywork lined up perfectly with those in the custom bracket. Fitting the top hanger was also really easy as the threaded hole was already there. At the forward end, use the mounts for the old lap belts. Don't forget threadlock on all bolts.

The major areas of faff are summarised:

- Drilling the hole in the trim for the top hanger (in the right place) - measure twice or more, drill once!!! A circular hole-cutter is needed as the diameter of the spacer is bigger than any drill.

- Adjusting the trim panels to create a friction-free slot for the belt to come from within to outside the panelling. I guess this varies by conversion, but on a Westy I had to use a Dremel multi to shorten the tin rail at the top of the panel, and then a Stanley knife to cut out a rectangular slot for the plastic letterbox already fitted to the seatbelt. I will probably superglue this into place.

- To access the anchor-bolt for the fixed end, the rock'n'roll bed has to be unbolted from the MDF seat case on that side and lifted forward. The first time I worked under it it fell and clocked me on the swede until I tied it up firmly with a ratchet-strap up to the roof rail.

- Replacing the studs for the mosquito net. I drilled the old ones out but could not get the new ones to self-tap, so have ordered some small HSS drills to drill pilot holes.

Otherwise, good job. Took a bit longer than expected but easily achievable.
1987 Westy Joker

Lucraft21
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Lucraft21 »

davidoft1 wrote: 31 Mar 2019, 09:53 I have a Westy with factory 3 point belts in the rear , I’ll get pictures

I know this is a old thread but id love some pictures, weve got a 90 cali and i need to fit some 3 point seat belts in the rear for the kids really.

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

Lucraft21 wrote: 13 Mar 2021, 12:22
davidoft1 wrote: 31 Mar 2019, 09:53 I have a Westy with factory 3 point belts in the rear , I’ll get pictures

I know this is a old thread but id love some pictures, weve got a 90 cali and i need to fit some 3 point seat belts in the rear for the kids really.

Pm me , I can get some