Sliding door lock doesn't engage mechanism

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

stupedals
80-90 Mem No: 0

Sliding door lock doesn't engage mechanism

Post by stupedals »

Hi all,

I have a problem with my sliding door lock. When I bought the van it didn't have a handle. Well, it did, of sorts. It was a piece if steel welded to a socket attached to the square bar that activates the lock. I recently bought a new handle plus keys from Just Kampers. It's definitely a longer handle than the newer ones so pretty sure that's correct, but when you turn the key, the pin that slides through the barrel does not activate the lock properly. It does not seem to have enough 'throw'. In that the pin moves but doesn't move far enough to push the lever that engages the lock. I'm not with the van right now so can't upload a pic. It's a job I've done before on a previous van - albeit a slightly older model - and never had a problem.
The van is a 1984 converted panel van (t25). Door seems to be original or at least same year as it has the indent/relief for the longer handle. The lock mechanism is as far as I can tell of the same year. I replaced the original one and still have the same problem.

Is there are a part that I'm missing that fits between inside the ring around the lock barel?
Any thoughts?

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: Sliding door lock doesn't engage mechanism

Post by R0B »

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/typ+ ... 43-106010/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Does this help?
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

stupedals

Post by stupedals »

Cheers

I've taken a look at that before and it doesn't seem to show the part I'm looking at in enough detail. Annoyingly part 21 is the one that might help but it's the only one not listed!

I've contacted JK and the straight out said to send it back to see if it was faulty without any questions so I'm guessing it may be a common issue for them.

stupedals

Post by stupedals »

Update.
It was a faulty part from JK who took over a month to replace. Worst service ive ever had from them. Ended up getting a vw one from ebay. Dont buy cheap i guess!

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

They aren't called Just Krappers for no reason. Stick to Brickwerks, VW Heritage and known good suppliers.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

Post by ash1293 »

Only just noticed this thread.

I bought the 'alternative' one from brickwerks:
https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/b ... ative.html

A few notes:
Can be fitted to a left sliding door as per uk RHD - just you turn lock the other way.
Was easy to reprofile to match my new #alternative' cab door handles.

I had same issue as original poster - lock didn't see to have enough throw to trigger lock, I presume it was to do with fitting on a RHD rather than LHD slider. Anyway, was easy to resolve by fitting a small section of pipe over the bar on the door locking mechanism. If the pipe ever rubs through would be easy enough to braze/solder a small amount of metal to build it up a little.

Very cheap way or replacing a duff slider handle/lock.
1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop