Another building type question for you

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

baj25
80-90 Mem No: 12953

Another building type question for you

Post by baj25 »

Hi All, I am having a porch built (215mm no-cavity walls, about 2700x1200 floor area, double pitch roof) which is tied into existing structure with firfix wall starters. Builder says OK to fix the 2 rafters against existing wall with hiltibolts or chemical anchors and do away with horizontal ceiling joist (it will still have birdsmouth onto wall plate). Other rafters will have the joists, this one would just look better without joist immediately over door into the house. Googled it to death, can’t see if this is acceptable, but it sounds OK, loads taken into existing structure etc, but I still have doubts. Please can anyone advise? TIA, Bri

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Re: Another building type question for you

Post by Mr Bean »

baj25 wrote:Hi All, I am having a porch built (215mm no-cavity walls, about 2700x1200 floor area, double pitch roof) which is tied into existing structure with firfix wall starters. Builder says OK to fix the 2 rafters against existing wall with hiltibolts or chemical anchors and do away with horizontal ceiling joist (it will still have birdsmouth onto wall plate). Other rafters will have the joists, this one would just look better without joist immediately over door into the house. Googled it to death, can’t see if this is acceptable, but it sounds OK, loads taken into existing structure etc, but I still have doubts. Please can anyone advise? TIA, Bri

Speaking as an engineer rather than an architect/builder:
Fixing the first rafters to the building is fine providing the remaining rafters are triangulated by what would be the ceiling joists were it to have a ceiling. In the absence of the horizontal components the roof could attempt to do the splits at its other end by forcing the walls apart at the top. So providing I have not misunderstood your description the structure should in theory be fine. Viewed from one end If you visualize the whole structure with flexible joints it should still remain standing.
No doubt others will add comments.
CS
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

baj25
80-90 Mem No: 12953

Post by baj25 »

Thanks CS, I too am an Engineer, of the electrical variety, my thought processes seem to be on the same lines as yours. I think I'll let him crack on as proposed. Cheers, Bri

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

To be quite honest a bit of common sense reasoning could save a whole lot of grief across a whole range of disciplines. You were quite right to question the design. See this:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyatt_Reg ... y_collapse to see how a well meaning subtle change to an otherwise sound design can come back and bite the earnest efforts of honest engineers. :oops:
Cheers
CS
PS
I also recall the Ronan point Collapse in 1968 where a gas explosion on the ground floor brought down every corner floor of a 22 story High rise. Have a breeze through https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... 80.931950s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

dapple
80-90 Mem No: 9226

Post by dapple »

No problem with it ,you can have no ceiling joists ,but you would have to have steel ridge beam or two large timbers bolted together to make solid ridge one end chopped in to existing build other end sitting on cable end but you would need engineer's calcs for this

lodgey62
80-90 Mem No: 14256

Post by lodgey62 »

A load bearing ridge.
1989 Autosleeper Trooper 1.9 petol
BMW R1200 GSA (proper motorbike)

Smosh
80-90 Mem No: 12801

Post by Smosh »

From what you describe, I think that removing the one collar tie shouldn't be problematic. However, if the wall starters are debonded, this may allow a degree of movement from the building, however fixing the rafters to the existing wall and therefore the roof, you may end up with some differential settlement and cracking.
1984 Voltswagen 25 Pop-Top (No idea what type!?) 1.9 W/C Petrol based in Guernsey, C.I.

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

Citizen Smith wrote:To be quite honest a bit of common sense reasoning could save a whole lot of grief across a whole range of disciplines. You were quite right to question the design. See this:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyatt_Reg ... y_collapse to see how a well meaning subtle change to an otherwise sound design can come back and bite the earnest efforts of honest engineers. :oops:
Cheers
CS
PS
I also recall the Ronan point Collapse in 1968 where a gas explosion on the ground floor brought down every corner floor of a 22 story High rise. Have a breeze through https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... 80.931950s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The gas cooker survived and the old dear took it with her to a her new residence - fabulous, every cloud has a silver lining. :rofl
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.