Hobby level TIG welder

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Hobby level TIG welder

Post by Mr Bean »

Back in the days of trouser turn-ups and 405 line TV I started welding cars with an arc welder running off a large auto transformer and for very thin metal I got her ladyship to wind down the current once I had struck up. Tricky but do-able. Then when the metal in cars got even thinner I got a hobby level MIG welder and Pub C02 bottles. I know my last C02 Pub gas cylinder will run out eventually and bunging the local pub to get them charged prob isn't going to work nowadays. Plus C02 is not an ideal shield gas.
So I have been eyeing up the circa £500 TIG machines but I do less welding nowadays a and including the hassle of getting Argon just seems a step too far.
But then I spotted this one which I guess is a double imported Chinese job: http://www.expondo.co.uk/stamos-germany ... 2009?c=414#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I am struggling to find details on the supply of gas and clearly this is the very bottom end of the market anyway.
Anyone any knowledge or experience in this area?
CS
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Re: Hobby level TIG welder

Post by Simon Baxter »

I bought one of these, been great.
http://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/tig-weld ... dc-160amp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think BOC do some small disposable bottles.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

Woodyyellow
80-90 Mem No: 11769

Post by Woodyyellow »

Ops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
E D I T.................
(Excuse my silliness! Just re read the OP and realise that of course he was talking about TIG welding!!!)

never mind, I'll leave it here, it might just be useful to others! Doh!

When I retired from my job as a Craft Design & Technology teacher I needed to buy my own set of equipment as i was unable to borrow and bring home to use the school equipmentand so this is what I bought myself.

http://www.wellyweld.com/products/Redli ... 72561.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now I know this is from a company local to me but I'm sure other welding suppliers would have similar equipment for sale.

I also bought into the 'Hobby Weld Gas' system which has been very economical and easy to use. I have heard of people using pub co2 bottles but this is specifically designed for MIG welding and does a very good job.

http://www.wellyweld.com/products/Hobby ... arge-72530" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I have found the equipment to be first class and a very good investment.
1987 1.9 WBX DG Hi-Top. Soon to be Subaru ej20

I'm an old guy but I still learn new stuff!

busbuddy
80-90 Mem No: 3043

Post by busbuddy »

got a clarke mig and lincoln electric tig, had both for well over a decade now

i used to have a gas welder but got rid when i moved house a lot because the insurance got a bit twitchy, have not used the mig with co2 for years (i use the gasless wire) because most of my mig stuff is outside in a gale :lol: and i can weld with the gasless wire good enough
'88 1.9tdi karmann cheetah

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

Migatronic pilots or rally's often come up for a bargain on eBay. Brilliant machines in my opinion.
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Reading with interest...

Sent by Morse code from the bunker

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

I bought one of these

https://www.stahlwerk-schweissgeraete.d ... e-set.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So far I've had no issues and it has good back up support should anything go wooing.

I've got a lot of learning ahead of me.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

JonathanR
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by JonathanR »

Slightly off topic. When I bought my Mig, gas supply was an issue. Did not want to source pub gas, BOC rental was too much of a commitment for the use I would give it, and the hobby cylinders were not ideal (small).
Searching the web I found this and have been using their L11 cylinder. Made my regulator redundant but very pleased (as a novice hobby welder).
http://www.albeegascylinders.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
£175 for initial purchase of 11 litre cylinder and then £50 for subsequent "refill". Their distribution network seems to have grown since my original purchase 5 years ago.
They appear to do just argon which I think is what TIG use.
1991 Auto Sleeper Trident High Top
Water Cooled 1.9 Petrol

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

Yes that seem to be a goodish scheme. I will give them a bell and see if there is a dealer local to me.
Thanks for that
CS
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

weegaz22
80-90 Mem No: 15325

Post by weegaz22 »

JonathanR wrote:Slightly off topic gas supply was an issue. Did not want to source pub gas, BOC rental was too much of a commitment for the use I would give it, and the hobby cylinders were not ideal (small).
Searching the web I found this and have been using their L11 cylinder. Made my regulator redundant but very pleased (as a novice hobby welder).
http://www.albeegascylinders.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
£175 for initial purchase of 11 litre cylinder and then £50 for subsequent "refill". Their distribution network seems to have grown since my original purchase 5 years ago.
They appear to do just argon which I think is what TIG use.

Thats a bit pricey to me for a rental free option, i just got a 10 litre bottle of Sure Sheild 5 which is a MIG gas for my R-Tech MIG 180, its a hobbyweld cylinder, 60 quid deposit and 31 quid refill, they do a pure argon version too for TIG , similar prices of deposit and gas for the Argon 10L cylinder

Get over to migwelding.co.uk and ask about for deals in your area, they do TIG based stuff over there too, its just the forurms been running for years before TIG became as cheap and accesible as it is nowadays
1989 LHD Westfalia Multivan 1.9TD AAZ