What is the minimum height for a wood burner and ground

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

RCN
80-90 Mem No: 9776

What is the minimum height for a wood burner and ground

Post by RCN »

Hi all
Making a home made wood burner from 2 tyre rims. All going to plan but i want to raise it off and away from the ground so i don't damage any grass. The legs i will make so i can remove them to pack up easier and save space.
What is the minimum height for a wood burner and ground? I think some places say a min. of 18", but i'm sure i've seen some that are lower, like the ones made from dryer drums.
Cheers
Just remember. If women don't find you handsome , they should at least find you handy.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: What is the minimum height for a wood burner and ground

Post by kevtherev »

That'll be a heavy firepit!
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

thechubbsdub
80-90 Mem No: 6445

Post by thechubbsdub »

I have a washing machine drum type, it's about 10" from the ground and have never noticed any scorch marks. Have used it on my lawn at home and no damage.
Don't eat yellow snow.

http://www.helpinghandscambodia.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RCN
80-90 Mem No: 9776

Post by RCN »

10" Great! I'll make up a template and see how it works.
It's about 20 pounds give or take.
Just remember. If women don't find you handsome , they should at least find you handy.

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Washing machine drums are the way to go...stainless steel construction with the 'all important' hundreds of small pre-punched holes to allow oxygen to enter under the solid fuel...there really isn't a more ideal 'ready made' solution and they often work better than shop bought log burners.
I made myself a new one a couple of weeks ago (gave my old one to my daughter). I put a wanted on Gumtree for a FREE/broken front loading machine and someone replied within a few days...stripped out the drum, took 20 - 25 mins, carried the stripped out chassis down to the road outside my house and within 15 minutes a white van turned up and took the remains away.

The old drum was used between 20 - 25 times and on occation it would scorch the grass (the base was about 6 - 7 inches from the grass). This new one I've managed to make it a fair bit taller at about 10 - 11 inches from the base and I am confident that this will leave any grass unmarked (as long as burning wood doesn't overspill that is).

Make the base as wide as you can for stability (some just use the belt pulley which is smaller diameter than the drum) and these are generally not very stable.

I have to agree with others about wheel rims.. 'especially two'.. being very heavy.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV