Well I bought a propex but Im thinking Genny instead.

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

browneyes1311
80-90 Mem No: 2714

Re: Well I bought a propex but Im thinking Genny instead.

Post by browneyes1311 »

metalmick8y wrote:hi,now look we go off wilding it for weeks at a time zero hook up,zero sites, we hide away in interesting places, we do lots to avoid drawing attention to ourselves and the the thought of a genny is pure utter folly and not needed, not needed for back-up and not for anything else.
get your propex fitted. carry a spare gas cyc, and run on propane not butane
you have a leisure battery to cater for lights etc, froget genny -fan heater etc, nonsense
and your main battery should only run satrter and van speceific stuff, leaisure for all else, your BACK-UP is called starting the engine and running it for a short while and let the alternator do its job,
happy camping
mm :ok

Actually I only seem to have one battery in the van, the one that's behind drivers seat and that's the one i recharge if van wont start. The space in the engine compartment for a battery is empty.

Boxy et all its not being cold at night that bothers me re heating it s when getting up or getting ready for bed. I find hot water bottle, goose down duvet, pair of pjs and socks and the dog is enough to keep me warm in bed. Perhaps its just me getting old I dont like getting cold plus i now have probs with body temp control and if I get too cold I cant warm up or too hot I cant cool down..Perhaps I just need to try and do a run around the block before going to bed so I warm up or some other exercise.

But its ok as i think I have found someone who can help me do it for way less Ill get my propex out and fitted.
1983 air cooled T25 high top.(hopefully someone will tell me what conversion) name Myrtle de turtle

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

Thyroxine?
Anyhows we now have the seriouse issue ,no leisure battery ,=big problems ,but easy to sort and can be very cheap toddo , have a search
mm

discipleofsketch
80-90 Mem No: 11538

Post by discipleofsketch »

yep definitely fit a leisure battery, as the propex draws a current for the fan.

Some other points - another downside to a generator is fumes - we once ran one to power some stuff at a party and a bloke came and asked us to switch it off because the tent where his kids were sleeping was smelling of petrol fumes. They weren't even very close, but he had a point, the whole area stank of exhaust fumes.

OK, this always proves controversial, but one option to take the chill out of the air in the morning is a small portable gas heater that runs off a cartridge. Run with adequate ventilation, and a carbon monoxide detector, and never while sleeping, they are generally advertised as tent heaters. But please don't set fire to yourself or your duvet.
Former owner of 1983 DG panel van and 1983 Devon moonraker pop-top, 1.9 tdi (1z) conversion

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Post by ringo »

As someone very wise once said on this forum, heating isn't cheap. Don't under estimate this statement because it is very true!
Once you have installed your propex you will find out it eats gas and consumes a lot of battery power. Most likely you will have to install another leisure battery just to see you get through the weekend (of constant use).
Then, you may want to consider getting some solar power or a better alternator charging system (e.g. A strirling battery to battery charger) all at more cost.

Propex is an awesome bit of kit but I just want to be up front with you- it will not end after the installation cost!

In terms of a generator, you need to work out if it's suitable for the way you use the van. I considered using one last year on my trip to Scotland in winter. I have an eberspacher and after two to three days of constant use (yes, I use it constantly on the thermostat - why wouldn't i?) the batteries are flat. I needed to charge the batteries but it takes nearly a day on 240v for my batteries to charge with my 18ah charger.
I soon worked out that the amount of fuel I would need to run a generator was huge (we're to store that?) and that basically put and end to that idea.
That was my use case - it doesn't mean a generator isn't suitable for you.

Other aspects of a generator that people have mentioned really annoy me too. However, that's only relevant if you are near someone else. In England that's likely.

Personally I don't like l being cold. I have a spent a considerable amount of money so I can run my eberspacher for weeks at a time and be off grid. A generator just doesn't fit my use of the van.

If money is tight, and you have had a good think about how you want to use it then I think I agree with you that the quiet genny is your only solution.

However, it really is worth saving up the cash to do the propex (and do it properly with the necessary batteries) if you plan to do a lot of winter camping off hookup.

I hope this is some help - only you can make the decision that is right for you. We can merely point out the pros and cons.

Good luck,

Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.

Jonnyb416
80-90 Mem No: 9259

Post by Jonnyb416 »

We use a portable small gas heater. Cost about £20 and uses those canisters you get in a pack of 4. Just for 10 mins to take the chill out of the air. As mentioned use a carbon monoxide alarm and never go to sleep with it on. That way you can leave it at home during the warmer months.
1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

To add to Ringo's points about running costs, the more modern Propex (Heatsource) model does seem to use more gas than the older 1600 compact models. A good leisure battery keeps up ok though, particularly if you set the thermostat at a sensible level so its not running constantly. Depends how you use it and what kind of leisure battery. You need at least 110ah I'd say. Mine will run for a couple of nights without the battery needing a recharge but if you're on holiday you've either got hookup or you're driving around anyway so it gets a charge again.

In more extreme cases (off the grid) I've just let the engine run for an hour. That charged the leisure ok. Generators (particularly at night) will annoy others closeby.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

browneyes1311

Post by browneyes1311 »

Thank you guys I really appreciate the advice. I never intended to run a genny for more than an hour anyway , however as i now seem to have found someone to install at a more sensible price I can go with Propex. But the advice re leisure battery was v wel appreciated as my next question would hav been what to go for.
1983 air cooled T25 high top.(hopefully someone will tell me what conversion) name Myrtle de turtle

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Shove the leisure somewhere other than a battery compartment (ie in a cupboard or under a seat) and you won't be limited by physical dimensions and will find a good one at a great price. For at least a year mine was bujeed to the back of the passenger seat but its in a cupboard now. If I ever have to replace it, I can fit any size leisure battery now. Sourced mine on ebay with a "collection only" search in my local area. Bloke had only had it a month but it wouldn't fit his van - bargain for £50 and its a beast.

You won't regret the Propex. Had mine on quite a lot today - bliss. I've said it before but when its cold I couldn't give a rats if I was using a bottle of gas a week. I just don't like being cold. It lasts a few weeks depending on use but to drive off in a toasty camper on a freezing morning is priceless!

Not cheap to buy new, but if you get your bank to transfer say £40 a month into a local credit union account, after a year the cash will be there to buy one outright.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Smosh
80-90 Mem No: 12801

Post by Smosh »

so... you're not seeling the propex for a reasonable price... :ok
1984 Voltswagen 25 Pop-Top (No idea what type!?) 1.9 W/C Petrol based in Guernsey, C.I.

browneyes1311

Post by browneyes1311 »

Smosh wrote:so... you're not seeling the propex for a reasonable price... :ok

Nope sorry to dash your hopes Smoosh I'm keeping it. me Chloe and her pup are going to have some winter adventures AND be warm